Poll: Should America go metric?

Page 17 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    That's such a lousy argument. It didn't stop the rest of the world. It didn't stop any unification of weights and measures pre-metrication. Why is it suddenly a big deal now?
    i personally won't use it because i was taught and grew up in a household that use strictly imperial.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I don't have sound on my work machine, and the video isn't 12 minutes long so clearly they aren't serious.

But why does 1 being divided by 3 need to be .4? Why can't it be .334?
    The way it'd work is they'd of course add two numbers to represent 10 and 11. What the video says has been suggested is 10 would be written like a lower case cursive x and 11 would essentially be an upside-down 3. Thus, 10 would actually become twelve (or "do" as they want to call it.) Thus since it's base twelve, 10 divided by 3 would equal 4. Bit bonkers isn't it though now that we're all used to base 10?
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Noodles and chocolate milk is the breakfast of Champions.
    Super Brony Friendfinder

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I agree we should start teaching our kids metric/24 hour clock/Celcius. But for those of us who have been doing it the American way for so long, it's not going to be an easy switch. I just find it retarded that we just HAVE to be different, when the rest of the world for the most part is using metric. We are definitely a stubborn country.
    Celsius is dumb. If we switch off F it needs to be to Kelvin. Schools (or at least mine) taught both metric and imperial, as well as how to read both 12 and 24 hour clocks.

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 04:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jackinthegreen View Post
    The way it'd work is they'd of course add two numbers to represent 10 and 11. What the video says has been suggested is 10 would be written like a lower case cursive x and 11 would essentially be an upside-down 3. Thus, 10 would actually become twelve (or "do" as they want to call it.) Thus since it's base twelve, 10 divided by 3 would equal 4. Bit bonkers isn't it though now that we're all used to base 10?
    I don't find it bonkers, but I imagine they still want the big numbers (1,000,000,000) to be our base counting but making them base 12 since the symbol for 10 would become 12 ... but I find that odd.

Impartial, i feel if it gets taught in schools at an early age it would have no problem being picked up. We get taught all that stuff anyways it wouldn't be difficult if it gets followed through cuz the use and learning of it stops at 2nd grade, but the problem would be having people actually use it. Think it would just be kind of w\e'd until our generation dies and our kids generation die, and then it'd be more mainstream for our grandchildren.

10+ Year Old Account
    Celsius is dumb. If we switch off F it needs to be to Kelvin. Schools (or at least mine) taught both metric and imperial, as well as how to read both 12 and 24 hour clocks.

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 04:39 AM ----------

I don't find it bonkers, but I imagine they still want the big numbers (1,000,000,000) to be our base counting but making them base 12 since the symbol for 10 would become 12 ... but I find that odd.
    our school taught us the metric system and what each measurement stood for. but outside of that we never used it again. maybe a few times in science class and some math problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    I won't lie, I actually do dislike Celsius. Though the imperial units for measurements, those all need to go.

So you wouldn't disagree, but you'll refuse to use metric?

That's an oxymoron if I ever heard one.
    We are all that way.
    We will even force our kids to learn the metric systems in hopes they will identify with it and switch.

But until all our devices show both units of measurement/temperature/time side by side we simply won't identify with them or use them in a practical matter.

Even though our kids know the metric system they don't identify with it simply because everything they see growing up is still using the imperial method.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i personally won't use it because i was taught and grew up in a household that use strictly imperial.
    Yes, but it's not about forcing people to change, it's about transitioning the future generations into the better system. For instance British groceries still sell with imperial units as indicators, people still give height in feet in Australia, and Asian markets still sell food in taels. Yet all of those countries have metricated and their populations can deal in metric units.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    But that is just you basically saying f*** y** to the concept of switching to metric system. And that is your right but its not a valid argument for discussing pros and cons of such hypothetical switch.

Yes, but it's not about forcing people to change, it's about transitioning the future generations into the better system. For instance British groceries still sell with imperial units as indicators, people still give height in feet in Australia, and Asian markets still sell food in taels. Yet all of those countries have metricated and their populations can deal in metric units.
    So can the US'. It is taught in schools. I can use it. It just isn't the standard internal measurement, so people who don't use it in their jobs forget how.

It'd turn 100 into 144. 1000 becomes 1728, etc. Looks weird, but that's to be expected I guess. A base 10 billion would turn into 5,159,780,352.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Noodles and chocolate milk is the breakfast of Champions.
    Super Brony Friendfinder

Deleted
    I don't see the point tbh. Sure the metric system is more logical but it's not more or less accurate. It comes down to preference and nothing else.
    If the Americans want the metric system, let them vote for it.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    That's such a lousy argument. It didn't stop the rest of the world. It didn't stop any unification of weights and measures pre-metrication. Why is it suddenly a big deal now?
    So how do you propose we do it?

Do we teach two different systems in the school system? I think my school did teach me two different systems and I ended up forgetting one since I never used it while here in the U.S so that leads to another problem, do we have to change all the road signs, weights etc to two different conversions just so people have a use for it? I am pretty sure no one will care since they are happy with the way they are used to using.

Like I said im all for it if there is a easy way to implement it and not have a huge confusion.

So can the US'. It is taught in schools. I can use it. It just isn't the standard internal measurement, so people who don't use it in their jobs forget how.
    Yes but if most people forget how, then that means the US population can't really use metrics. My point is that we can promote it to be the standard unit for the future (beyond scientists or mathematicians or something using it in their jobs) without forcing older generations to change from their habits.

Ok, im seeing a lot of arguments made for the sake of recognition, for instance, why fahrenheit would be more accurate than Celsius, it is not, they are equally accurate, the only problem is conversion, where celsius is very easy and logical, fahrenheit isnt (in science)

also, why Kelvin would be "unreasonable" , its not unreasonable at all, it just feels off. if the whole world removes fahrenheit and Celsius and started speaking in Kelvin, eventually 280 Degrees would still tell you its kind of chilly outside, because a human's body temp. = +-311 Kelvin

these are all arguments of feeling. and while a feeling is very important, feelings are very confusing!. try to deny that when you're in love with a bitch of a woman for example XD. (not speaking out of experience(or am I?))

fact remains however that the SI is far easier and more logical than the Imperial system.

and for the Phonetic argument, Phil collins made a song about a girl Called Sussudio. now, I don't know anyone named Sussudio, tell me if you do.
    but nobody makes a fuss about that, so use Miles if you like.

for the americans who think that the U in colour isnt pronounced, it actually is, you just pronounce it different (I believe you say KOL-OR whereas it originally was KAWL-AR, i'm dutch so english is my 2nd language, if i'm doing the pronunciation wrong please forgive me, correct me if you would take the time.)

as for not giving up the right to not write unpronounced letters, I hope you are not one of the people who "wrte liek dis on faesbuk nd stuff" because I have a Incredible problem with people like that. the reason we use elongated spelling for the most part, is to make words more eloquent and distinguishable from one-another. basically, it sets us apart from the species that just use basic sounds to communicate, like the cavemen once did with growling. so i will defend my right to be a grammar nazi to the day I die, because I believe it is one of our greatest and most important traits. (even if I do not excerise my right very often, for the sake of not being a tool.)

Returning on-topic, I think converting fully could be a major job-opportunity for english majors (XD)
    also, yes it will take years, but if done correctly, it would cost less than continuously converting for people in just a few years (considering it takes a minute everytime you have to convert from Imperial to SI and vice versa. (just make the church pay, I hear that they don't pay taxes and if they would it would be billions or something, sounds like they have enough :P)

concerning the "it doesnt feel right" if it comes to it, just give it a few years and it will.

there were more points but i forgot whilst typing out my hopefully understandable and agreeable post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    We could start by studying how the rest of the world did it and choose a successful model to emulate/learn from their experiences. I mean, I'm no expert, I'm just saying that the rest of the world was able to transform just fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    except im not at all convinced its the better system so therefore i dont see the need for transitioning future generations.

Yes but if most people forget how, then that means the US population can't really use metrics. My point is that we can promote it to be the standard unit for the future (beyond scientists or mathematicians or something using it in their jobs) without forcing older generations to change from their habits.
    To do that you would have to start changing every single sign to have both, then after a set time (20 years?), take Imperial off new signs. The problem is that we don't replace all the distance signs that often.

You really aren't going to find a way to get rid of Imperial in the states without a huge swath of ignorant whiners complaining about FREEDOM! and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post

Do we teach two different systems in the school system? I think my school did teach me two different systems and I ended up forgetting one since I never used it while here in the U.S so that leads to another problem, do we have to change all the road signs, weights etc to two different conversions just so people have a use for it? I am pretty sure no one will care since they are happy with the way they are used to using.

Like I said im all for it if there is a easy way to implement it and not have a huge confusion.
    In Japan or China most of road signs and such are bilingual (at least in major cities) with a corresponding english name under the original one. Obviously becouse 99% of foreigners cant read chinese symbols, they had to deal with this fact and at some point they started to slowly change all signs where ever possible. Something similar in the US would be good start. Start making metric system more widespread while still retaining imperial one as official. Then after 20-30 years check again and maybe the general population will be ready to make a switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    I vote yes. I don't know anyone who grew up with metric that went to imperial out of preference.
    The part of the US pop that matters does it... (scientific)
    What the other part does, doesn't matter at all ;-)

http://gregorious.hubpages.com/hub/m...mperial_system
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes we should. It wouldnt be that hard of a swap. Our money is metric and so is our drinks along with a ton of other things.