Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    To contribute to this thread, I like techno but not "club techno". Minimalist Techno/Ambient is where it's at:

10+ Year Old Account
    So what "genre" or title or whatever is this:

I like it, but its more of a "clean the house" track, not really an every day thing.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    Well cause most Americans just refer to it all as Techno. i mean do you think they honestly know the difference between happy hardcore or Hardstyle or House or Trance? Its just all Techno to them.
    Your examples are not so good. Techno by US definition is Digital music which uses samples and mixing, based on the styles of music created by pioneering artists such as Kraftwerk. It is also relates to the electronic genre that came out of Detroit in the mid to late 80's. Pretty much happy hardcore, hardstyle, house, trance, EDM and Technopop are all the same type of music with minor variations.

However their are several forms of electronic music which are not techno and are actually quiet popular in the USA.

Hip Hop, rap, gansta, Industrial, Industrial metal, EBM, Dark Wave, Gothic, Gothic Rock, psychedelic, future pop, Synth pop, space rock, indie

Also before I forget there are some forms of techno that are popular in the US like Dubstep.
    Last edited by Gothicshark; 2012-12-17 at 12:46 AM.

I'm a 31 year old American, and I had my raving days 10+ years ago. I like most techno, although I can't stand House and Drum and Base. Techno has evolved from when I listened to it a lot though, so I'm not sure about all the different classifications at this point. I've always loved Trance though, that'll always be my favorite. (In part because of the memories of the times I've had listening to it.

I'm now listening to techno right now because of this thread. Thanks o.p.! =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post

[ video=youtube;7LXDKhJA6Pk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LXDKhJA6Pk[/video]

I like it, but its more of a "clean the house" track, not really an every day thing.

Technically it's Synthpop, the Glitch Mob uses EBM/Industrial themes to make music with more of a rock feel even though it is purely electronic.

Didn't even take a whole page.

To each their own. Disliking something has nothing to do with "realizing" what a genre "is" or represents. Ya like what you like. I doubt researching its origin or true form is going to make someone suddenly like something they disliked an hour ago.
    To each their own. Sure. But don't go rambling out wild generalizations that just make you look ill-informed. If you're going to say you ahte Techno, at least get a fucking clue about what Techno really is.

Just to make it clear, I'm talking in a general sense towards most posters in this thread that make such posts.

The community really destroys it as well.
    Oh my fucking god.

What do you even know about the EDM or Techno scene/community to make such a wild accusation?

I'm sorry, but quoting me and referencing to that bolded part is a very weak attempt at making me look like a representative of the EDM and/or Techno scene.

I understand that I'm lashing out at most posters here with my replies, and that's also what I intend to do. I do not mean to disrespect those that just honestly don't like the genre. The quantity of ignorance in some replies is just abysmal.

15+ Year Old Account

I liked that, which is rare for me. Usually I'm averse to most electronic music. It is a far cry from the music I usually hear in nightclubs, though. I need to be properly drunk to be able to stand most of that stuff.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Deleted

That's what club music is to me

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post

Well cause most Americans just refer to it all as Techno. i mean do you think they honestly know the difference between happy hardcore or Hardstyle or House or Trance? Its just all Techno to them.
    Could you be more ignorant?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

I think you just havn't been exposed to the american scene, there has been many fine clubs throughout the US over the years, Twilo in NYC for example, where Sasha and John Digweed held recidencies and pioneered prog house.

There has always been americans that like EDM, there has always been a lot of great american DJ's and producers, but it has never been mainstream as it has been in Europe, that seem to change though, I'm not a fan of power house(or tjack house as me and my mates call it, quite a negative term lol) like Swedish House Maffia, but when they sell out Madison Square Garden in an hour you can't deny the commercial sucess they have had or their ability to pull a crowd. Now in Europe EDM has been the dominant style of music in most parts of Europe as far as club music goes for a looong time now.

I've been listening to EDM since I was 12-13 years old, thats 15 years, I'm a big music geek so it has been quite fun to see just how things have changed over the years. I've seen the explosive power of "dutch trance" in the late 90s, seen the popularity of drum and base drop(used to be huge in the 90s, Goldie, LTJ Bukem etc), seen house become ... well pop music, played prime time on the radio, seen electroclash come and go, seen two step come and go, seen the rise of nu disco, minimal techno etc etc... one thing I love about EDM is the innovation in the music, anyone with a computer and some software and a good idea can be the next big thing, same thing when it comes to distribution, EDM was very early in embracing the internet as a way to get the music out there, heck when I started buying records you bought vinyls or you went home empty handed, it didn't take long for all the small independent labels to realize how much easier it is to sell things in mp3 or wave format, only thing that really held it back was the horrid CD players(for DJs) at the time, once tech companies catched up and started to develop proper CD players digital files exploded. For a global trotting DJ they could sit it Tokyo and get sent a new tune from an up and coming producer in lets say the UK as soon as it was finished, rather then wait months to get it released on vinyl promos, they could play that tune the very same night. Unbeatable.

Anyways I like all types of music, singer-song writers, rock, pop, reggea, hip-hop(older stuff mostly), industrial synth, indie etc, I have been DJing, been fiddling with music, been to some spectacular parties and nightclubs, seen pretty much all DJ's worth their salt in their natural environments(clubs), played alongside some of my favorites, been involved in doing our own nights, seen some mates "make it" etc. I love my EDM, but my tastes have changed, or matured if you like.

I have never liked happy hardcore or stuff like that, it does nothing for me. Hardstyle makes my head hurt, I avoid dubstep like the plague, yup I know it's my conservative side showing rofl... but I still love how flexible and innovative EDM is, it's constantly changing, there are new sub-genres popping up all the time. It's lovely.

I still think the music is best suited for a great nightclub with a great knowledgable crowd, thats in the nature of the music, thats when you can get it played out on a really, really, fucking great soundsystem, thats when it works it's magic and creates that raw human emotion of profound happiness. "Reach for the lazers"

Not to mention the actual chill vibe you get in a proper EDM club, you don't have be bothered with all the bad stereotypical club goers, and I say that with as little contempt as possible because I can have a great night out at a "average joe" kind of place as well... BUT a great EDM club with a crowd that is really just there for a great DJ and for "dancing the night away" will always be the best possible place to go out and party at.

People who say that EDM is souless garbage have not heard enough of it.

Nothing beats hearing Danny Howells play a 6 hour set, would give my right arm for his music collection, top bloke as well!
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2012-12-17 at 07:00 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

here is some german typical club music of the label kontor, which has over 1,4 billion views and 1 mio subs

is this kind of music in the us popular too?

The same reason most Americans don't like mullets or short shorts on guys . . . it went out of fashion in the 80's. The real question is why the rest of the world has so much trouble keeping up with us.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol, again it seems that America is so much different than Europe. Round here techno is the thing that gets spinned in clubs (not talking about the mainstream danceclubs full of r&b and bad excuses for hiphop), and is enjoyed by a big % of the youth. While in America, you call techno the "outcast druggy ppl's music", we got things here you'd probably enjoy and have never even encountered.
    I wonder, do you guys have big outdour goa parties, underground abandoned railway drum&bass parties, like we have in Europe? Legit rave music? All I seem to hear coming out of America involving parties, is fancy overpriced clubs with the same old radio music. Please tell me I'm wrong.
    Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI CODE | Intel Core i9-9900k | 32GB RAM DDR4-3200 CL16 | ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER

Deleted
    You're more than welcome to come to the ADE2013 next year.
    http://www.amsterdam-dance-event.nl/

I don't go to clubs a lot, how ever when I do there's either trance or there are 2 different rooms, one with trance and one with hip hop.
    I myself would like more DnB. So that would mean I should go to the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    I can't stand "club" music that gets played here. It's nothing but hip hop remix's which is terrible.

Techno in itself is fine. This coming from a serious metal head but I enjoy gabber in the likes of neophyte, scott brown etc. I use to be a raver and that type of techno was just great but club music is pretty fucking terrible.
    "club" music, isn't just techno lol. You can't put it all into "club".

A club for me (i.e. something you go to on a friday/sat night), plays dance. Eletronic dance. Not techno.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

Deleted
    When it comes to EDM in the US today, most americans don't seem to realize it's already taking over (and yes, us swedes made it happen ), ie look at the Ushers new album, most of the tracks there are produced by the members of the Swedish House Mafia / Alesso, not to mention the swedes have done a ton of productions for other big american artists, one of Flo Ridas most famous, Wild Ones, is produced by Axwell. We also have Lady Gaga working with the amazing french wonder-kid Madeon, lots of new Bieber tracks being produced by Zedd, Afrojack doing things like that as well etc etc.

EDM is taking over everywhere and most big artists are changing their style to be more EDM-ish.

(I don't count Guetta, even tho he is extremely talented and a very nice guy, most of his new "work" is made by ghost-producers)

Oh and we mustn't forget the incident between Avicii and Leona Lewis ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormridah View Post
    here is some german typical club music of the label kontor, which has over 1,4 billion views and 1 mio subs

[ video=youtube;tzfusfAdNXk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzfusfAdNXk[/video]
    [ video=youtube;VTqmldgLzdk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTqmldgLzdk[/video]
    [ video=youtube;HeBPDPHM8V8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeBPDPHM8V8[/video]

is this kind of music in the us popular too?
    Honestly, I live in Los Angeles so we do get euro-pop here, it's played on Kiis fm late on Friday Nights, also I like getting Falafels and the Palestinians who own the Pita resturant I go to play that type of music. Basically it's popular with people from Europe and the Middle East but people from America usually listen to something different, I would say singer song writer acoustic music is popular.

see video this is what is popular in the US.

15+ Year Old Account
    There are so many sub genres for electronic music...it can be really overwhelming.

I had never even heard "techno" until my first year of college (started fall 2005). The kid living next to me listened to nothing but Tiesto / VanDyk / Van Buren / Benassi / Cosmic Gate. I thought he was a complete weirdo at first, but he DJ'd an event at this house party and absolutely blew the roof off with nothing but "techno." From then on, I became a fan...most likely b/c of the trim I managed to pull that night (oh, nostalgia).

Someone already linked a glitch mob song, but:

And one I just heard on my Pandora: (skip to 3:00 mark for orgasmic awesomeness)

slight edit: we should initiate an electronic music thread, like the metal one.
    Last edited by Toxigen; 2012-12-18 at 11:23 PM.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaplu View Post
    lol, again it seems that America is so much different than Europe. Round here techno is the thing that gets spinned in clubs (not talking about the mainstream danceclubs full of r&b and bad excuses for hiphop), and is enjoyed by a big % of the youth. While in America, you call techno the "outcast druggy ppl's music", we got things here you'd probably enjoy and have never even encountered.
    I wonder, do you guys have big outdour goa parties, underground abandoned railway drum&bass parties, like we have in Europe? Legit rave music? All I seem to hear coming out of America involving parties, is fancy overpriced clubs with the same old radio music. Please tell me I'm wrong.
    I live in London from 1993-1995 during the height of Rave in the UK. I did all the things you described, all of them are illegal for the most part in the US. However and this is important, in the US I have been to plenty of illegal underground raves. In Los Angeles we do it differently, sometimes we go out to the desert, to have massive festivals some of which are now legal such as burning man and Weekend Wastland. But also we take over old warehouses to run raves, these are highly popular with the psychotropic drug community in the US. Here in LA the Psychedelic rave community is fairly strong.

http://www.burningman.com/
    http://wastelandweekend.com/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    I live in London from 1993-1995 during the height of Rave in the UK. I did all the things you described, all of them are illegal for the most part in the US. However and this is important, in the US I have been to plenty of illegal underground raves. In Los Angeles we do it differently, sometimes we go out to the desert, to have massive festivals some of which are now legal such as burning man and Weekend Wastland. But also we take over old warehouses to run raves, these are highly popular with the psychotropic drug community in the US. Here in LA the Psychedelic rave community is fairly strong.

[IMG]http://guestofaguest.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/edc-crowd1.jpg[/IMG

http://www.burningman.com/
    http://wastelandweekend.com/
    nice, I'm glad to finally get another perspective on parties in America, it all seemed so strict (except college dorm parties) and limited in different kinds of music
    I'm from Belgium myself, and even around here there's much work to be done
    Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI CODE | Intel Core i9-9900k | 32GB RAM DDR4-3200 CL16 | ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER