Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Exclamation Should the legal age of becoming an adult change in the US?

As modern technology is make us live longer and longer these days, and because there is so much more to learn in our modern society to become functional I believe the legal age when you become an adult should be pushed to age 22.

Things are just not the same as they were 100 years ago.

Personally, an 18 year old being called an "adult" is pretty laughable.

It has to do with military service though.

Raise the age, if anything it should be lowered.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

well 100 years ago you had to know how to make a living from nothing. There were many more people living in what today we would call wilderness.

I would say you don't need to learn more now then 100 years ago just different things then 100 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Riidii View Post
    Personally, an 18 year old being called an "adult" is pretty laughable.

It has to do with military service though.
    Eh I don't believe being given a license to kill others makes you an adult either.

10+ Year Old Account
    We know 18 year olds aren't really very adult yet, but they need to be thrown in the deep end at some point, and extending the date before they're considered legally adults would just extend the period of adolescent behavior more. Throw them out the door at 18 and let them figure life out. That's how they become adults.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Honestly, I think that in any country the legal age of an "Adult" to drink/smoke/shag/etc should be the same age as the age you're allowed to join the army and get shot for your country.

If you're responsible enough to make the decision to fight for your country your responsible enough to be able to Drink/Smoke.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Raise the age, if anything it should be lowered.
    So what, we'll see 16 year olds walking down the street smoking, drinking, and being pregnant?

Wait a second.......
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Honestly, I think that in any country the legal age of an "Adult" to drink/smoke/shag/etc should be the same age as the age you're allowed to join the army and get shot for your country.

If you're responsible enough to make the decision to fight for your country your responsible enough to be able to Drink/Smoke.
    Man lets be realistic. Most 18 year old kids join the military with the mindset of "I wanna be a special forces badass, kill commies, and get all the women!" That is exactly why most military personal are not adults in my eyes.

Legal adult higher? Sorry this is bad idea on so many levels. Underage sex? Being called a child a 21? You're either an adult or a child. Do they need to be baby sat too? Not allowed to vote? College would change since they are no longer adults, would they would need parental permission to choose their classes. Do we treat them differently if they break laws? I could keep going on with this. At some point people need to be responsible for themselves. The diapers need to come off at some point.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    We know 18 year olds aren't really very adult yet, but they need to be thrown in the deep end at some point, and extending the date before they're considered legally adults would just extend the period of adolescent behavior more. Throw them out the door at 18 and let them figure life out. That's how they become adults.
    Throw them out of house at thier 18th? what the fuck how are they gonna manage to properly have a roof above thier head and stil pay the bills/education.
    If at all would only ask to contribute a small amount of money to ease up the stress on paying bills in my house.....

who is adult at thier 18th? seriously i became 18 a week or two ago and i dont feel any supirior nor self sustaineble when i was 17....

Quote Originally Posted by arcticsnow View Post
    Legal adult higher? Sorry this is bad idea on so many levels. Underage sex? Being called a child a 21? You're either an adult or a child. Do they need to be baby sat too? Not allowed to vote? College would change since they are no longer adults, would they would need parental permission to choose their classes. Do we treat them differently if they break laws? I could keep going on with this. At some point people need to be responsible for themselves. The diapers need to come off at some point.
    Yeah maybe you have a point. Age 22 is a little steep maybe just age 20 instead?

If you're allowed to pick up a gun to fight and die for your country, you should damn well be allowed to walk into a bar and buy a drink.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Bosch View Post
    Throw them out of house at thier 18th? what the fuck how are they gonna manage to properly have a roof above thier head and stil pay the bills/education.
    If at all would only ask to contribute a small amount of money to ease up the stress on paying bills in my house.....

who is adult at thier 18th? seriously i became 18 a week or two ago and i dont feel any supirior nor self sustaineble when i was 17....
    I didn't say you stop all support, but get them out of the house ASAP, and make sure they're mostly supporting themselves. It's not exactly impossible to work 30-40 hours a week and make enough money to have an apartment while you go to university, especially with a little financial aid.

If I were you, I'd look into getting a job waiting tables somewhere and start thinking about moving out. You may not feel like an adult yet, but the way you become an adult is by going out there and trying to survive on your own. That doesn't mean your parents aren't there to help you for a bit if you fall down, but the longer you stay with your parents, the longer it will be before you start feeling like an adult. But I understand the current generation tends to live with their parents much longer than mine did.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2012-12-17 at 10:02 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Let's compromise make it 16 for the purposes of comiting a crime and be considered and adult but raise it to 21 to have the legal rights of an adult. </sarcasm off>

You live longer these days, therefore you can afford to live more while not being an adult, because...of some reason

Sounds like a silly logic to me

Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox2223 View Post
    If you're allowed to pick up a gun to fight and die for your country, you should damn well be allowed to walk into a bar and buy a drink.
    Okay lets start passing out M14's to 12 year olds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    Eh I don't believe being given a license to kill others makes you an adult either.
    Pretty sure it does, it is not a job you want to give to children. Look at that shit that went down with Kony.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I didn't say you stop all support, but get them out of the house ASAP, and make sure they're mostly supporting themselves. It's not exactly impossible to work 30-40 hours a week and make enough money to have an apartment while you go to university, especially with a little financial aid.
    Yeah its not hard, I went to college after high School, so I was out of the house, had to make most decisions on my own, I slowly started working more with less help. Now I'm self sufficient, except When I had knee surgery and was out of work for a bit.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    You live longer these days, therefore you can afford to live more while not being an adult, because...of some reason

Sounds like a silly logic to me
    As technology extends out lives longer and longer it takes us more time to reach maturity. That's why the legal age of becoming an adult needs to change.