Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

~snip~

Infracted - do not repost walls of spam

Quote Originally Posted by Dethh View Post
    Yeah there is a thread about it. Some girl wouldn't date him so he shot her and some other kids and then himself. I don't think any gun control besides an outright ban would have done anything to prevent this though.
    Wheres the source that the girl killed was the one who wouldn't date him?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Some mobile-user breaking shit
    Was the 100k letter I's REALLY necessary?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Time in use may be a factor in accidental death, but not in intentional homicide, so it's not a completely valid comparison either.
    intentional homicide with a car? is there a number for that? this can´t be high

i was under the assumption he meant accidental death, everything else would be pretty ridiculous, comparing intentional homicides with cars to guns? i mean, really?
    Last edited by Mayhem; 2014-10-27 at 06:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    i was under the assumption he meant accidental death, everything else would be pretty ridiculous, comparing intentional homicides with cars to guns? i mean, really?
    I figured he meant total deaths. But, yeah, if you just want to compare accidental deaths, then it's more like:

~250 million vehicles with ~35k fatalities: 14.0 per 100k vehicles
    ~310 million firearms with ~0.6k fatalities: 0.19 per 100k firearms

Of course, time in use, like you said, would be a factor. Not sure there are anything other than WAG's about those numbers, though.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

15+ Year Old Account
    I figured he meant total deaths. But, yeah, if you just want to compare accidental deaths, then it's more like:

Of course, time in use, like you said, would be a factor. Not sure there are anything other than WAG's about those numbers, though.
    hence why i think it´s a bad comparison, comparing accidents should include time in use

i´m not too sure what comparing intentional homicides should include, maybe something like dui? well just without the driving part
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    hence why i think it´s a bad comparison, comparing accidents should include time in use

i´m not too sure what comparing intentional homicides should include, maybe something like dui? well just without the driving part
    The person I was responding to was stating how harder it is to get a car license compared to a gun. And from some of the responses from others to my post such as yours, he should know by now comparing cars to guns here is not received well. And yes, I was referring to all death's total number in which a car was involved. Accidents of course making up the great majority of those deaths.

Time in use? Well, I have a revolver that is always kept loaded, so imo it is always in use. Serving it's purpose around the clock. Ready should I need it. You can disassemble a weapon and make it not useful at all unless it is reassembled, or take the ammo out and it is not in use. But no matter, I think a car is a tool, just the same as a knife, gun, screwdriver and many other items and a lot of them can be misused and are. So in that way you can compare them all to a degree.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2014-10-27 at 12:37 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    The person I was responding to was stating how harder it is to get a car license compared to a gun. And from some of the responses from others to my post such as yours, he should know by now comparing cars to guns here is not received well. And yes, I was referring to all death's total number in which a car was involved. Accidents of course making up the great majority of those deaths.

Time in use? Well, I have a revolver that is always kept loaded, so imo it is always in use. Serving it's purpose around the clock. Ready should I need it. You can disassemble a weapon and make it not useful at all unless it is reassembled, or take the ammo out and it is not in use. But no matter, I think a car is a tool, just the same as a knife, gun, screwdriver and many other items and a lot of them can be misused and are. So in that way you can compare them all to a degree.
    by your definition everything is in use everytime... as long as it´s assembled

sure you can compare things the way you want, but it´s not really fair comparing guns to cars while knowing the majority of fatalities by one are intentional and by the other are accidental

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Time in use? Well, I have a revolver that is always kept loaded, so imo it is always in use.
    I have a car sitting in the garage. Therefore it must be in use.

Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I have a car sitting in the garage. Therefore it must be in use.

Seriously?
    Would you stand or sit in front of a parked car?
    Would you stand or sit in front of a loaded gun?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Would you stand or sit in front of a parked car?
    Would you stand or sit in front of a loaded gun?
    no to both? so?

what do you think "in use" means?

10+ Year Old Account
    no to both? so?

I understand what you are meaning and you are not wrong in reference to the term " In use " in general. But a item can have the potential to be deadly even if it is not active. So when looking at the potential harm something can and does cause without using the term, "while in use ", we can see that tools do have the capacity to be misused. So by your definition, my gun only has the potential to be harmful if it is actually being fired. Right? When in reality they still can cause harm when not used or by a non-intentional discharge.

But if we look at items with the overall potential harm caused by misuse, then can draw a comparison to any tool. The important point is do not punish someone to use a tool for self protection because some misuse them. Not saying you are implying that ether.

no to both? so?

Carrying a loaded gun is in use IMO.

15+ Year Old Account
    ding ding ding winner

10+ Year Old Account
    We may be getting the long-awaited FBI UCR report "Crime in the U.S. 2013" soon, which I'm sure will be dissected ad nauseam for a year.

On the FBI's page for 2013, there just showed up a link for the report, but it's password protected for now.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    So the ballots for midterms are a mixed bag: voters in Washington have approved background checks, while voters in Alabama approved adding right to bear arms into the state constitution.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

Missing a major part here namely the hours of them being used since without that it is totally irrelevant but you know the amount of time the guns are being used is really small compared to the cars.

And than we factor in what they are created for in the first place since i doubt cars got created as methods to kill people quickly with

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    So the ballots for midterms are a mixed bag: voters in Washington have approved background checks, while voters in Alabama approved adding right to bear arms into the state constitution.

Washington smart Alabama just being Alabama and being a state i would never go to not even if you paid me.

- - - Updated - - -

About as much in use as an airplane parked on the tarmac.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post

Washington smart Alabama just being Alabama and being a state i would never go to not even if you paid me.
    So smart means agreeing with you? That is a very interesting definition of the word smart...
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

15+ Year Old Account
    About as much in use as an airplane parked on the tarmac.
    i´d say if you have quick access to the gun, not your backpack obviously, then it can be considered in use

10+ Year Old Account
    And than we factor in what they are created for in the first place since i doubt cars got created as methods to kill people quickly with

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -
    Which only demonstrates anything no matter what it was originally created for can be misused.

- - - Updated - - -

i´d say if you have quick access to the gun, not your backpack obviously, then it can be considered in use
    And we have another winner.

Alabama blindly ignoring any federal law trumps their state constitution. But let's waste money on shit with no legal bearing.