Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    You need to have adjacent states for a real test. It was really the only region I could think of.
    True that.

/10char
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't need career pointers from a secretary, thanks.
    The fact that you pretend that I'm a secretary just shows that you live in delusion and are a stranger to rationality.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    The fact that you pretend that I'm a secretary just shows that you live in delusion and are a stranger to rationality.
    Whatever semantical title, I don't care. Do you care to even engage in any meaningful debate? Or just nitpick? Marine can, why can't you? You can begin by actually addressing the sources you ran away from.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    True that.

/10char
    On further thought, New England would also be a prime place to examine inter-connectivity between the states.
    Last edited by Rukentuts; 2015-03-30 at 08:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whatever semantical title, I don't care. Do you care to even engage in any meaningful debate? Or just nitpick? Marine can, why can't you? You can begin by actually addressing the sources you ran away from.

- - - Updated - - -

On further thought, New England would also be a prime place to examine inter-connectivity between the states.
    Yeah that it would. Especially considering most of those states seem to have the same mindset when it comes to gun control. Not that I agree with all their gun control legislation but you couldn't ask for a better section of the country to try stuff like that out on.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that it would. Especially considering most of those states seem to have the same mindset when it comes to gun control. Not that I agree with all their gun control legislation but you couldn't ask for a better section of the country to try stuff like that out on.
    The only potential issue is that New England already has among the lowest gun death rates in the nation. Different areas, such as the bible belt, would likely benefit much more, and changes in rates would be easier to identify.
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    When you have no argument make personal attacks, it's typical teenager strategy's.

- - - Updated - - -

Basically a big database is formed about which guns are owned by whom (or are in what store/warehouse, etc.)
    This is where people would have a problem with your silly tracking that will not stop people from being shot, it does however make a database of all gun owners, which is what the real intention is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    The only potential issue is that New England already has among the lowest gun death rates in the nation. Different areas, such as the bible belt, would likely benefit much more, and changes in rates would be easier to identify.
    Perhaps so. But the chances of you being able to make something like that a thing in those states, even purely as a test, are damn near impossible right now. (I would think anyways). But you never know. Gotta take what you can get.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps so. But the chances of you being able to make something like that a thing in those states, even purely as a test, are damn near impossible right now. (I would think anyways). But you never know. Gotta take what you can get.
    I think it is important with some things to let the States decide how they want it to be. Not saying no Federal laws are needed, because in the cases of machine guns, etc, there needs to be a nationwide standard set at the federal level. Which there already is. I would like to see a handgun carry/conceal permit law which is standardized so all states would have to recognize them as a legal reason to carry/conceal a handgun. Same way we do now with a license to drive on public highways. Even with those, there are some variations how each state handles the licenses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I think it is important with some things to let the States decide how they want it to be. Not saying no Federal laws are needed, because in the cases of machine guns, etc, there needs to be a nationwide standard set at the federal level. Which there already is. I would like to see a handgun carry/conceal permit law which is standardized so all states would have to recognize them as a legal reason to carry/conceal a handgun. Same way we do now with a license to drive on public highways. Even with those, there are some variations how each state handles the licenses.
    I agree 100%. I hate how I have my CCW in Washington but can't go into Oregon with my concealed pistol unless I go through their course as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I would like to see a handgun carry/conceal permit law which is standardized so all states would have to recognize them as a legal reason to carry/conceal a handgun.
    Now that is some gun control I could support.

15+ Year Old Account
    But straw purchases are generally illegal as far as I'm aware.
    Doesn´t help that they are illegal when you have virtually no records on private sales.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Now that is some gun control I could support.
    I don't need it to be federally decreed, but states adding more reciprocity for their carry permits would be a good thing, wouldn't have absurd situations like that poor woman persecuted by NJ's byzantine gun laws.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Doesn´t help that they are illegal when you have virtually no records on private sales.
    Sure. But at this point there isn't much you can in regards to records of weapons. There are too many in circulation to try and get them all documented now. Outside barging into homes and forcing people to register their weapons.

Other then that though the only way is to start recording all new weapons right from the manufacturers, which is a long way out, if it ever even happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    I don't need it to be federally decreed, but states adding more reciprocity for their carry permits would be a good thing, wouldn't have absurd situations like that poor woman persecuted by NJ's byzantine gun laws.
    Poor woman? She broke a law.
    Eat yo vegetables

10+ Year Old Account
    Poor woman? She broke a law.
    Obviously she did. The point is that she was doing something that was perfectly normal in one state and then drove to the next and got arrested. That's just fucking stupid.

I don't care what the law is. It's pretty dumb to be able to cross state lines and get arrested for something that was legally ok 50 feet back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Obviously she did. The point is that she was doing something that was perfectly normal in one state and then drove to the next and got arrested. That's just fucking stupid.

I don't care what the law is. It's pretty dumb to be able to cross state lines and get arrested for something that was legally ok 50 feet back.
    So the 10th Amendment?
    Eat yo vegetables

10+ Year Old Account
    So the 10th Amendment?
    Perhaps. I certainly understand the intent and reasoning behind the 10th. But the Federal government tends to overstep it's bounds (in my opinion of course) when it comes to over ruling various state laws.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps. I certainly understand the intent and reasoning behind the 10th. But the Federal government tends to overstep it's bounds (in my opinion of course) when it comes to over ruling various state laws.
    This has nothing to do with the Federal Government "overstepping" its bounds on State Law.

You stated that it was "pretty dumb" to get charged with a crime, simply because you crossed a state line.

Do you think the 10th Amendment should be altered? Eliminated?
    Eat yo vegetables

15+ Year Old Account
    Sure. But at this point there isn't much you can in regards to records of weapons. There are too many in circulation to try and get them all documented now. Outside barging into homes and forcing people to register their weapons.

Other then that though the only way is to start recording all new weapons right from the manufacturers, which is a long way out, if it ever even happens.
    True, but doing nothing certainly won´t help with the problem. You could of course do a number of different things to make future straw purchases much more difficult eventually drying out the supply making illegal obtainable weapons much more expensive and therefor undesirable for criminals.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Do you think the 10th Amendment should be altered? Eliminated?
    It should be given more emphasis than it heretofore has been, IMO. Notice, though, the proposal was for states to pass laws giving reciprocity to other states, the way they might for an admission to the state's bar association -- federalism is not implicated in the least bit by such an act.

That said, regulating what does and does not fall within the FF&C requirements is not subject to the 10th Amendment. The 10th Amendment reserves to the states or the people those powers not expressed to the federal government by the Constitution or denied by it from the states. The FF&C clause is nothing if not a prohibition of certain things from the states in the Constitution. Congress could probably pass a reciprocity statute under the demesnes of FF&C without intruding on even a more vigorous reading of the 10th Amendment than we have now.