Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by ugotownd View Post
    Look at how he was stopped. Hmmm maybe the NRA was right after all.
    Look how it started. Maybe the NRA isn't right..

Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    Look how it started. Maybe the NRA isn't right..
    Tell me how is started that the NRA had anything to do with. It was an altercation between two black kids in Atlanta. The weapon is still unknown but I'm betting it was illegally obtained since he was only 14. But you wouldn't know that since there is no deaths or assault rifles so the media isn't covering it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Having to purchase insurance isn't a tax. Its having to purchase insurance. Stop using hyperbole as a crutch.

The penalty was a tax. Not the mandate.
    Way to split hairs, champ. And what are you gonna do if someone doesn't purchase gun insurance? Force them to pay a fine?

Quote Originally Posted by ugotownd View Post
    Tell me how is started that the NRA had anything to do with. It was an altercation between two black kids in Atlanta. The weapon is still unknown but I'm betting it was illegally obtained since he was only 14. But you wouldn't know that since there is no deaths or assault rifles so the media isn't covering it.
    You claim the NRA had nothing to do with it. What were they right about exactly. A man climbed on a bus earlier this week shot the bus driver in the head and took a 7 year old hostage. Their in his underground bunker been there for three days. Just another day a kid took a gun to shoot and shot his class mate killing him.

Your saying because no one died in this situation the NRA is right about more guns..will somehow equal less violence. If more guns are the answer. United States should be safest place in the world since we pale in comparison to people with weapons. Yet we're not..somehow that logic is flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Your right, I mean why even have any laws because criminals simply won't follow them since they are by definition criminals. I mean, you have so much confidence in your guns then you might as well throw out the whole social contract. Hell, I bet these people would love to move to Somalia or some other third world hellhole where they could have all the weapons they want and could shoot whoever they like. Oh wait, no, these people are actually more like internet trolls, the type of people who make these ridiculous arguments yet wouldn't live 5 minutes in a world where they really had to live and die by the gun.

The problem with this country is that it is literally awash in guns, which is why so many gun crimes occur here. A gun is an extreme force multiplier, it allows somebody to do far more damage in a short amount of time compared to say melee weapons. So many people end up in situations where having the power of a gun at hand enables them to make a big mistake, and that is because guns are all over the place. Human nature hasn't changed much in the last ten thousand years, so I imagine if you want to have less bloody violence and mayhem you will have better luck reducing the gun supply as opposed to trying to change human nature.

It is alarming to see how many people seem to be on the verge of barricading themselves in their homes with an assault rifle because they expect SWAT teams to be coming for their guns. At first this apparent paranoia made me think that all of these hardcore gun rights people were afflicted with some sort of mental illness that manifested in an irrational fears of government tyranny. Yet now I realize the truth, and the truth is that there is no good reason why you need assault rifles, you are all simply children that just want what you want, and in order to justify this you invoke the second amendment and claim you fear government tyranny. Guns make you feel like a big man, makes you feel like your a tough guy that can do whatever you want, it is the ultimate artificial extension of a certain male appendage.
    You're right, I wouldn't last 5 minutes in a live or die situation with guns, but I fail to see how that is relevant. I also don't own a single weapon and never intend to. I oppose gun control just for the reason you so happily blew out of proportion, criminals. Yes, criminals don't really pay attention to laws, but that doesn't mean we need to just get rid of them, or worse, strengthen them. While obvious criminals would never be affected by a law if they really want to do something, there's still the millions of people who are "normal" that would definitely be seen along with the criminals if something like marshal law or just plain chaos happened. Laws create order and because of that order, it is very easy to be too strict. As Ted Cruz explained, most assault weapons are nothing more than "scary" aesthetic modifications to normally legal weapons and banning assault weapons is simply too strict and is not at all effective in preventing shootings or any other tragedy the trigger-happy Congress is trying to prevent, pun intended. Gun control legislation is ineffective and worthless and time is better spent targeting criminals in another way that doesn't choke freedoms.

Back in 1999. The head of the NRA supported background checks at Gun Shows.

2012 He denies Background checks because Criminals won't submit to them

Should we remove murder from being illegal. I mean if criminals won't submit to them using that logic then what's the point in having ANY laws on the books at all. Bad People don't follow the law...

Its one extreme or the other with you Fused. No in between huh? Either ban guns or allow legal murder huh?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    The last tactic of the person with no position to argue: leet speak. You've come full circle.
    I kinda agree with you for once, TinyKong. I hate when people use a patronizing "dumb voice" to suggest the person with the opposing argument lacks coherence, especially when the person in question has been completely coherent from the beginning. Disagreeing with someone isn't a good reason to insult or patronize them.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Back in 1999. The head of the NRA supported background checks at Gun Shows.

2012 He denies Background checks because Criminals won't submit to them

Should we remove murder from being illegal. I mean if criminals won't submit to them using that logic then what's the point in having ANY laws on the books at all. Bad People don't follow the law...
    That's a very good point. In fact, I think I've heard that exact same argument someplace. Was it from "The Daily Show" last night?

Way to go, free thinker.

Quote Originally Posted by Humblemumble View Post
    That's a very good point. In fact, I think I've heard that exact same argument someplace. Was it from "The Daily Show" last night?

Way to go, free thinker.
    First of all. I scan all sources of news and information. Expect Fox News they have a track record of intentionally distorting facts. Not being biased. But facts. Truth I didn't get this from daily show. I read an article about it on HuffPost.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2593937.html

Secondly. Who cares if I got this information from a magical fairy that fly's around my room at night sprinkling dust. Your not responding to the actual atcile in question. You're just like Lemon directly insulting the poster without contributing anything to the thread. Posters who have a track record of this I generally ignore because while I can disagree respectfully with someone.

Making comments like that is a general distraction from the overall point and that is NRA flip flopped the position rather then address then you just switch to the Daily Show. I also watched an hour of Anderson Cooper Town Hall Debate on Gun Control last night. I view numerous sources.

First of all. I scan all sources of news and information. Expect Fox News they have a track record of intentionally distorting facts. Not being biased. But facts. Truth I didn't get this from daily show. I read an article about it on HuffPost.

Secondly. Who cares if I got this information from a magical fairy that fly's around my room at night sprinkling dust. Your not responding to the actual atcile in question. You're just like Lemon directly insulting the poster without contributing anything to the thread. Posters who have a track record of this I generally ignore because while I can disagree respectfully with someone.

Making comments like that is a general distraction from the overall point and that is NRA flip flopped the position rather then address then you just switch to the Daily Show. I also watched an hour of Anderson Cooper Town Hall Debate on Gun Control last night. I view numerous sources.
    Sorry, the point is, you only post articles and videos you see on TV and call them correct. Thats been your way of doing things since post #1. I don't know why you think Fox is any more biased than any other TV show/entertainment channel like CNN, MSN, Fox, or Daily show for instance. They are all biased, they are all out there for ratings and appeal to specific people.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Sorry, the point is, you only post articles and videos you see on TV and call them correct. Thats been your way of doing things since post #1. I don't know why you think Fox is any more biased than any other TV show/entertainment channel like CNN, MSN, Fox, or Daily show for instance. They are all biased, they are all out there for ratings and appeal to specific people.
    This is the one and only time I am going to respond directly to you in regards to a personal attack. So savor this moment.

I watched an hour of Anderson Cooper last night Town Hall debate where he had former NRA President. A police chief. A lawyer. A Pro Gun advocate. An Anti Gun Advocate. They discussed the entire culture included but not limited to mental health. Violent Video Games. Background checks. etc I view not one single source.

Secondly this information is ACCURATE. Let me repeat that ACCURATE. You can verify it and I posted a youtube video so I'm not really sure what you are implying. I look at the entire picture not one single aspect. Why does this bother you so much. All information can be backed up. Are you furious that I educated myself learning about something then coming here posting my thoughts.

If you are that's really silly. Now that's done. I will not be replying to anymore petty personal attacks. As much as I would love for this thread to be about me it's not. It's about the bigger picture which you are ignoring in you un-healthy obession with me and posting articles that relate directly to this thread that's called backing up your sources.

10+ Year Old Account
    What does the NRA lose by supporting universal background checks, including those between private buyers and sellers?

I don't understand why LaPierre refuses to support something that 90% of all Americans support. It's the least restrictive and most common sense gun regulation being proposed.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Deleted

Disregarding a specific news source because it doesn't fit your mind set shows a pretty descent bias on your part. MSNBC has a pretty good track record of distorting facts as well. So, thank you for admitting bias on your part.

I didn't make the post to degrade you, or your fairy that sprinkles the dust you seem to be find of. I made it because it is almost 100% word for word from a show that is based on satire. That doesn't lend much to your arguement or your ability to form your own opinions. The source you linked also happens to be the same one the show used. Interesting.

I'm sorry if you feel that I was attacking you personally and not your point. However, when you clearly cannot make your own points, instead relying on regurgitating speeches from news casts as your own opinion, do not expect people to take you seriously.

This is the one and only time I am going to respond directly to you in regards to a personal attack. So savor this moment.

I watched an hour of Anderson Cooper last night Town Hall debate where he had former NRA President. A police chief. A lawyer. A Pro Gun advocate. An Anti Gun Advocate. They discussed the entire culture included but not limited to mental health. Violent Video Games. Background checks. etc I view not one single source.

Secondly this information is ACCURATE. Let me repeat that ACCURATE. You can verify it and I posted a youtube video so I'm not really sure what you are implying. I look at the entire picture not one single aspect. Why does this bother you so much. All information can be backed up. Are you furious that I educated myself learning about something then coming here posting my thoughts.

If you are that's really silly. Now that's done. I will not be replying to anymore petty personal attacks. As much as I would love for this thread to be about me it's not. It's about the bigger picture which you are ignoring in you un-healthy obession with me and posting articles that relate directly to this thread that's called backing up your sources.
    I thought you had me on ignore LOL. I do not care what Anderson Cooper said. Mental Health of some citizens should not take away my rights.

I am implying that you just regurgitate what you hear on daily show, MSN and CNN. Only one aspect? You have been screaming BAN SEMI AUTOS the whole time even though they are used in only 1% of the crimes. How is that reasonable? Watching CNN over and over isn't "education." Piers Morgan spouts off mostly his opinion. Is his opinion law?

And I know you want this thread to be about you. You talk about yourself over and over. The sources have been posted. You ignore them. YOU are missing the bigger picture. Keep on watching CNN though. That will totally enlighten yourself about the big picture.

http://minnesotaforequality.com/wp-c...hel_Maddow.png

This picture made me laugh. Oh the irony.
    Last edited by Self Inflicted Wounds; 2013-02-01 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    What does the NRA lose by supporting universal background checks, including those between private buyers and sellers?

I don't understand why LaPierre refuses to support something that 90% of all Americans support. It's the least restrictive and most common sense gun regulation being proposed.
    It's very odd I agree. This is the simplest of laws. A basic check at a Gun Show (Private Sellers) a poll showed that 70 percent of NRA members did agree with a basic background check to keep weapons out of hands they shouldn't be in. It's so bizarre you would imagine a person who shifted his stance then oddly a decade later changing it.

It seen out of touch and only hurts his overall argument on the rest of his points. How are we even supposed consider armed guards in school's when basic background checks for all weapons is something he is against.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post

I think it's the principle that if you give an inch they'll take a mile. Giving in on even sensible restrictions just makes them feel like the anti-gun folks will see blood in the water, so to speak. It's a position that doesn't make for good policy, but definitely a motivation I understand.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I think it's the principle that if you give an inch they'll take a mile. Giving in on even sensible restrictions just makes them feel like the anti-gun folks will see blood in the water, so to speak. It's a position that doesn't make for good policy, but definitely a motivation I understand.
    And has nothing to do with the fact that any future restriction on gun owners means less guns sold, means US based manufacturers loose money, so they won't endorse NRA with that much. It's an industry driven association, just like in any industry they will lobby and push to sell more as more as they can, even if in this case the product they sell is a lethal weapon with only one basic function, yet they all act "innocent".

And ofc their products with new features as "finger print resistant" targets the legal market, right? It's not just a bit more bias towards that time down the line when the legal gun gets turned illegal...They very well know the fact that some % of legal guns get turned illegal but they don't care since they sold it legal at first place and it's a sales driven game.
    Last edited by mmoc0127ab56ff; 2013-02-01 at 03:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by naturestorm View Post
    And has nothing to do with the fact that any future restriction on gun owners means less guns sold, means US based manufacturers loose money, so they won't endorse NRA with that much. It's an industry driven association, just like in any industry they will lobby and push to sell more as more as they can, even if in this case the product they sell is a lethal weapon with only one basic function, yet they all act "innocent".
    If anything, increasing restrictions for private gun show sales so that they need a background check would reduce the resale of weapons and increase primary sales. It'd be good for the producers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    That's probably pretty accurate, but his reason for not supporting Universal Background Checks is that the Obama Administration refuses to prosecute those that break the law.

"I do not believe the way the law is working is effective, therefore we shouldn't extend the law to hobbiests and collectors."

The point of universal background checks isn't necessarily to prosecute individuals, it's to stop criminals from buying weapons. And we've stopped nearly 2 million criminals from buying weapons with background checks.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.