Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Woman turns in StG44 at gun buy back program.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...apon-buy-back/

ABC obviously doesn't know enough about firearms nor the legalities of such to address stuff, but I wonder if it was a registered machinegun or any bring-back paperwork. It's inoperable, but ATF might still want it cut up.

Please avoid the gun ban arguments, but what a fun little piece of history to find in a closet. I wonder how many are still in hands of Germans.

Deleted
    She did what? Any idea how much that is worth? The historical value? I would give up a testicle for a real, fully functional one. I need a drink and a lie down.......

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    She did what? Any idea how much that is worth? The historical value? I would give up a testicle for a real, fully functional one. I need a drink and a lie down.......
    they gave it back to her after telling her how much it was worth according to the article, shes going to be getting some good money for it =)
    Proud member of the zero infraction club (lets see how long this can last =)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by goobernoob View Post
    they gave it back to her after telling her how much it was worth according to the article, shes going to be getting some good money for it =)
    Thank fuck for that, it was the worlds first assault rifle, used only by the most elite units. Its like scrapping the Wright Brothers plane.

Deleted
    I wouldn't pay $20k for that piece of crap. Just sayin'

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    I would, then resell it for 3 times that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    I would, then resell it for 3 times that.
    I was just trying to get you to bite..

Nor would most people pay 20k$ for a piece of crap 100 years old car. Doesn't mean it doesn't have a historic value.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like more than half of you more than you deserve.

Deleted
    I was just trying to get you to bite..
    Don't you have Matelots to babysit?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Please avoid the gun ban arguments, but what a fun little piece of history to find in a closet. I wonder how many are still in hands of Germans.
    Not many, guns are nothing an average german citizen possesses

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish I found stuff like that in my closet...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    I wish I found stuff like that in my closet...
    All I found were that womans remai......Old laundry.

..........I'm not a gun enthusiast at all nor do I care about guns but as a historian if that time period... jesus christ. There are very, VERY few items that I would buy for over 10k (not saying the guns worth that, its worth WAY more than that) but I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Jeez thank goodness they gave it back...

my grandfather fought in ww2 and brought back a number of firearms with him, sadly the stg44 he acquired was stolen though >.< luckily the majority of the family gun collection wasnt stolen but it would be good company for the luger

Deleted
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...apon-buy-back/

ABC obviously doesn't know enough about firearms nor the legalities of such to address stuff, but I wonder if it was a registered machinegun or any bring-back paperwork. It's inoperable, but ATF might still want it cut up.

Wow, those things are really rare. Good thing the cops knew about it. I remember the QI episode in which they had borrowed an StG44 from a museum, they were really careful with it.

A friend of mine got an old M1 Carbine (not rare, really, millions made and available) that had ended up in the back of the closet of someone. Rusted shut, took a lot of cleaning and greasing to get it back to spec.

From the sound of the StG44, it was rusted shut and non-functional. Hopefully that means ATF won't be taking a hacksaw to the receiver in order to "make it compliant".

Would still make a great piece of history.

I currently have a Korea era M1 Garand, and I had the oppurtunity to buy a Colt 1911 made in 1914 but it was totally ruined (refinished to the point of hardly any markings, mismatched parts).

It's rare for someone (a sucker) to get a second chance when buying/selling something with discrepancy from the appropriate price.

It's rarer for that to coincide with the luck of some random attic/inheritance/heirloom/garagesale item turning out to be an expensive collectible piece.
    Ever squish your face on a window?
    It looks funny. Ever got it stuck?

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    goodthing the City hooked her up to an antique auction.

10+ Year Old Account
    A friend of mine got an old M1 Carbine (not rare, really, millions made and available) that had ended up in the back of the closet of someone. Rusted shut, took a lot of cleaning and greasing to get it back to spec.

From the sound of the StG44, it was rusted shut and non-functional. Hopefully that means ATF won't be taking a hacksaw to the receiver in order to "make it compliant".

Would still make a great piece of history.

I currently have a Korea era M1 Garand, and I had the oppurtunity to buy a Colt 1911 made in 1914 but it was totally ruined (refinished to the point of hardly any markings, mismatched parts).
    Yeah, the M1 carbine has never been uncommon. The M14 rifle used following WW2 is basically the same thing as the M1 carbine. I've got an old M1903 handed down from my granddad's granddad, still works well.

---------- Post added 2012-12-18 at 07:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    goodthing the City hooked her up to an antique auction.
    What kind of fiend would sell the thing? Man, get that thing to a proper gunsmith to be taken care of and then pass it on down as an heirloom. Or donate it to a museum.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow