Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Science Explains Why The Hobbit Looks Weird In 48 Frames Per Second

So apparently anything above 30 FPS is "too real."

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Scien...ond-34673.html

Deleted
    lol what bullshit
    they actually admit they have yet to see the response of the public but they already claim its ''weird'' and ''bad''?

I've seen a few 60 fps movies/clips. They look better in every way to me *shrugs*.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    lol what bullshit
    they actually admit they have yet to see the response of the public but they already claim its ''weird'' and ''bad''?
    Kept hearing all this craziness about it seeming weird, went to see it, perceived nothing as being unusual. Movie was good, and it looked good too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Huh. Good thing I watched it in normal IMAX 3D then?

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if it's anything like the Uncanny Valley.

'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

48 FPS makes it look like characters on a stage, not an image on a screen.

After I got used to it, I liked it.

It's exactly the Uncanny Valley.
    48 FPS is that magic framerate towards the bottom of the valley where it looks almost real, and some of the effects and props are trying to look real, but it's in that state where you can tell it isn't.

That's also why 60 looks good; because it's back at that middle-of-the-big-end-climp portion where 30 and 24 frames is sitting.
    Carp - Illidan-US
    I wish I wish I was a fish.
    My rogue

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought it looked great in 48 fps. No complaints from me here whatsoever.
    The Hobbit was the least favorite of the Tolkien books for me though.
    I'm waiting for the Silmarillion to be made into some movies. That's where all the real action is!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    48 FPS makes it look like characters on a stage, not an image on a screen.

After I got used to it, I liked it.
    Same as games pretty much.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I can explain it in a very simple way, no science needed.

People are used to seeing movies in 24 FPS. This is how we've seen them for around 80 years. We've gotten so used to it that 24 FPS is our definition of what looks like and doesn't look like a "movie".

Higher FPS thus takes a while to get used to, but once you do the advantages of higher FPS will shine through, mainly better image during quick motions.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    Same as games pretty much.
    Games are high FPS, but nowhere close to as "real". Not yet anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I wonder if it's anything like the Uncanny Valley.

[img ]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f0/Mori_Uncanny_Valley.svg/450px-Mori_Uncanny_Valley.svg.png[/img]
    It's exactly the Uncanny valley, also it effects older people worse than younger ones, because film quality has been steadily getting better. It is now almost visual quality, so some of us will become uncomfortable.

Deleted
    I didn't find it to look weird when I watched it in 3d.. ._.
    Different perhaps but not weird

Deleted
    I tried to get used to it, but since I'm a very very observant movie-goer, I just couldn't shake this awkward feeling off. Sadly it lasted throughout the whole movie. It looks pretty awesome nonetheless. If you look closely, you can even see Gandalf's contact lenses.

It looks weird to people because most stuff is filmed in 30fps... people are just used to it as it's the industry standard. You don't need science to explain that. :P

Classic Series Doctor Who was filmed in 60fps and was VERY weird for me back in the day. Today, I have no problem with it. ^_^

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by maddeliciousone View Post
    I tried to get used to it, but since I'm a very very observant movie-goer, I just couldn't shake this awkward feeling off. Sadly it lasted throughout the whole movie. It looks pretty awesome nonetheless. If you look closely, you can even see Gandalf's contact lenses.
    Will keep my eyes open for that when I go and see it!

I had watched a video that was interesting on the subject. What I could gather from the video was that at 24 FPS its as slow as it can be for voice acting to actually be in sync but slow enough that you can actually see the stutter and the way our brain recognizes the moving objects as individual photos subconsciously, kind of the way you you analyze a new photo even if its only for a second, but when its more FPS our brain uses less processing power to analyze what is happening. Also due to higher FPS we tend to associate higher fps with reality for example most news shows like KTLA and such are shot at a very high fps or even reality tv and soap operas and lower FPS are usually associated with faker things like movies. I also know higher FPS actually makes special effects more difficult and affects Depth of field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiVFrFs0xMg the video can prob explain it better than I can seeing as how most of what ive been talking about was taken from this and a few other articles.

I think it works well for animated movies. I watched the Bourne Legacy in 60fps and I got so fricken dizzy, i had to turn it off.

Deleted
    as long as it is not in 3D for me they can make it in 1000 FPS it's fine