Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Firearms are second to only the constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Yes, its not relevant.
    It actually is relevant to the topic. It's probably one of the most critical issues.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Faustus View Post
    The Redcoats are coming.

With RPG's and AK's.

Oh wait, no.
    I really hope we don't invade the USA - their chocolate tastes rubbish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Faustus View Post
    The Redcoats are coming.

With RPG's and AK's.

Oh wait, no.
    We got rid of you guys before we can do it again :P

You're our best friends besides Canada though from our perspective so I don't know
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post

DUIs are handled pretty harshly where I live. One DUI can fuck your entire life here.
    I support harsher punishment for anyone that takes the life of another, DUIs, guns, you name it. Sadly, society as a whole thinks that incarcerating folks isn't humane.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    I support harsher punishment for anyone that takes the life of another, DUIs, guns, you name it. Sadly, society as a whole thinks that incarcerating folks isn't humane.
    Well I mean, just driving while drunk, not anything involving other people being hurt. First offense is 6 months in jail (but usually plead to 2 days) along with $5000+ in fines. It goes up to 5 years in prison and $20,000 on the third DUI.

10+ Year Old Account
    For those who wanted to see "Murder Rates". We are still higher than almost all of the 1st World countries. Almost all of Europe, Asia has a lower rates.

What does every tyrant in history have in common?

To claim the governmental oppression is completely irrelevant due to comparison of weapons is a fallacy. If superior weaponry were an instant victory, we wouldn't have been stuck in the middle east for 10 years fighting.

Every car should have a forced breathalizer.
    Spoons made me fat.
    Guns made me a killer.

The problem is more far reaching than "don't let killers have guns and they can't commit atrocities."

How'd that war on drugs go? No more drugs on the street, right? You've got drug cartels from Mexico moving across the border and operating in the US. You've got unregistered weapons all over despite thousands confiscated each year there are more. Hell, some of them are guns that the US government GAVE to the drug cartels so they "could track them" which isn't working out so well.

Let's have a though experiment.

A mentally disturbed individual is going to exact revenge at a populated location. They steal guns and kill 10 people at the location. Obviously someone owning guns was the root cause of the problem, right? Not the mental illness. Not the theft. Not the lack of better control of legally owned firearms. No, the gun itself?

Now let's remove the guns from the equation entirely.

A mentally disturbed individual is going to exact revenge at a populated location. The internet, diesel fuel, and fertilizer are cheap. Or a knife. What might a mentally disturbed person do?

Conclusion...Tragedy simply CANNOT occur if we just get rid of guns. It will most certainly prevent another tragedy from ever happening again.

I just don't think we're looking at the right root cause to address.

I'd also like to see the statistics on firearm deaths with illegal/stolen guns compared to legally owned.

Go ahead and Google the statistics. The FBI and US Dept. of Justice show we have fewer violent crimes (including with guns) in 2009 and 2010 than we did in 1998. The assault weapon ban expired in 2004 yet we have less crime than 1998. Clearly assault weapons are the problem.

---------- Post added 2012-12-19 at 10:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    You talkin' smack on Reese's Peanut Buttercups?!?!
    Last edited by Faroth; 2012-12-19 at 10:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It actually is relevant to the topic. It's probably one of the most critical issues.
    The most critical issue is the fact that a young man never received help for mental health problems, which led him to develop and act out on an idea for killing as many people as possible.

He could have drove a truck into a group of kids. The issue isn't the truck, its the person driving it.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

The most critical issue is the fact that a young man never received help for mental health problems, which led him to develop and act out on an idea for killing as many people as possible.

He could have drove a truck into a group of kids. The issue isn't the truck, its the person driving it.
    His mother did not however happen to have an unlocked truck in her cupboard, but a gun. And it's probably easier to get a gun in the US than a truck too.

Except a truck isn't as deadly as a gun, nor is a truck expressly made for the purpose of killing.

Again, the critical issue of gun control is actually something relating to guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    Only 'cause you grew up with your own chocolate. I find chocolate from other places pretty mediocre.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    here is a hypothetical question for everyone; How far or how many people do you think he could have killed if there were other adults there packing heat? all that gun regulation does is, it takes the guns out of the law abiding citizens hands and leaves them defenseless. The bad guys e.g. the thieves, gangs, or whatever will get get their weapons regardless if they are legal or not. Now this next part is my opinion and is in no way fact or truth, just my thoughts on the matter. Teach everyone how to be responsible gun owners and how to properly use them and encourage everyone to have at least one gun and make it ok to carry a concealed weapon. I would bet everything that gun related crimes would go down because everyone knows that everyone else might be carrying a concealed weapon.

Example: John Fund notes in National Review, "I spoke with Lott after the Newtown shooting, and he confirmed that nothing has changed to alter his findings. He noted that the Aurora shooter, who killed twelve people earlier this year, had a choice of seven movie theaters that were showing the Batman movie he was obsessed with. All were within a 20-minute drive of his home. The Cinemark Theater the killer ultimately chose wasn’t the closest, but it was the only one that posted signs saying it banned concealed handguns carried by law-abiding individuals. All of the other theaters allowed the approximately 4 percent of Colorado adults who have a concealed-handgun permit to enter with their weapons."

My source is: nationalreview dot com "The Facts about Mass Shootings" by John Fund
    (I can't post links, sorry)

10+ Year Old Account
    All the countries above America are extremely strict and regulated when it comes to guns.
    Also the majority of deaths in America are related to suicide and homicides - of which are committed with illegal guns (stolen, etc) - this is also an effect of the drug war.

Suicide rampages are a phenomenon related to the current economic/social climate in America. People think the world is ending, America is falling apart. Whats left, but to kill yourself and others, especially when you're crazy.

[QUOTE=Gimleaf;19505007]
    Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    Was there a reason to create a new thread? Seriously. There are at least 5 others you could have posted in, honestly. If you want to do something about the deaths of those children do the right thing, get the people with mental illnesses help. THAT is why he killed those kids, not because of a gun.

and given the wording of your post you dont care about those kids, you are more worried about attacking gun owners.

Not sure now you came up with that assumption. I have no problem with certain guns, just don't need ones that can fire 60 rounds in under a minute. Let me guess..hunting. Are the deer shooting back at you? Maybe I would understand. I do care about those kids. I own a gun(beretta over/under). Im a Republican.
    So you're a massive hypocrite?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Let's keep talking about guns when the real issue is mental illness. That should help us avoid another tragedy.
    The real issue was a DUMBASS MOM not locking her guns away from her mentally ill son.

Not the guns per say, not the kid...BAD PARENTING + BAD gun "management" is the problem in THAT particular case.

But guns ARE a problem in the US....Cut the crap.

In the same week...Newton gets hit by a 20y/o with a gun...more then 20 deaths....Meanwhile in China a deranged man attacked 22 kids in a school ...ZERO deaths...

GUNS CHANGE EVERYTHING

10+ Year Old Account
    Except a truck isn't as deadly as a gun, nor is a truck expressly made for the purpose of killing.

Again, the critical issue of gun control is actually something relating to guns.
    I'm not talking about gun control. I'm talking about preventing another mass shooting. Gun control is one solution, except its incredibly ineffective. Adam Lanza was under 21 and in a gun free zone. Gun control laws currently in place failed to stop him.

If you want to prevent mass shootings, either ban guns completely and go house to house confiscating them, or focus on mental health, because more gun control laws will fail miserably.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimleaf View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate

Needless to say we are last. But great news we are beating Mexico and Columbia.

Most of the countries have stricter gun laws and requirements than we do. They seem to do a great job of "protecting" themselves with a fraction of the weapons. Yet we are armed to the teeth and can't beat any 1st World Country.

And please save the "protection from the gov" argument. That amendment was created almost 300 years ago. It was an even playing field. They had muskets and so did the people. In today's world you have an AR-15 and they (the government)has a M1Ma Battle Tank. Last time I checked I can't pick up a license for one of those at the DMV. But hey good luck...Go get them Paul Revere.

They were just babies guys.....just babies.
    Take the number of murders in the United States, and divide by 320,000,000. Only the emotionally unbalanced will not be satisfied with what they discover. It translates to 1 murder a year for every 600,000 people. Considering the mental diversity of this species, it is astounding the number is that low. Your chance of being murdered in the United States is .000067%. This all sounds like reactionary garbage when science like statistics put it in perspective. I'm not willing to give an inch on the 2nd Amendment, when 99.999933 of the population aren't murderers. Thanks for your concern, though.

Quote Originally Posted by etnitz View Post
    here is a hypothetical question for everyone; How far or how many people do you think he could have killed if there were other adults there packing heat? all that gun regulation does is, it takes the guns out of the law abiding citizens hands and leaves them defenseless. The bad guys e.g. the thieves, gangs, or whatever will get get their weapons regardless if they are legal or not. Now this next part is my opinion and is in no way fact or truth, just my thoughts on the matter. Teach everyone how to be responsible gun owners and how to properly use them and encourage everyone to have at least one gun and make it ok to carry a concealed weapon. I would bet everything that gun related crimes would go down because everyone knows that everyone else might be carrying a concealed weapon.

Example: John Fund notes in National Review, "I spoke with Lott after the Newtown shooting, and he confirmed that nothing has changed to alter his findings. He noted that the Aurora shooter, who killed twelve people earlier this year, had a choice of seven movie theaters that were showing the Batman movie he was obsessed with. All were within a 20-minute drive of his home. The Cinemark Theater the killer ultimately chose wasn’t the closest, but it was the only one that posted signs saying it banned concealed handguns carried by law-abiding individuals. All of the other theaters allowed the approximately 4 percent of Colorado adults who have a concealed-handgun permit to enter with their weapons."

My source is: nationalreview dot com "The Facts about Mass Shootings" by John Fund
    (I can't post links, sorry)
    And you do not think that arming every single citizen won't lead to more guns being used, for instance instead of a friendly brawl during an argument? Some people have a short fuse. Very sane people, very law abiding people, with just one really bad temper, who simply don't shoot the guy who just flipped them off after taking their parking space because they don't have a gun on hand.

I'm not talking about gun control. I'm talking about preventing another mass shooting. Gun control is one solution, except its incredibly ineffective. Adam Lanza was under 21 and in a gun free zone. Gun control laws currently in place failed to stop him.

If you want to prevent mass shootings, either ban guns completely and go house to house confiscating them, or focus on mental health, because more gun control laws will fail miserably.
    You can't really stop every shooting. Also, a failure to enforce a law isn't exactly a failure of a law itself.

No, the issue is false dichotomies like that. Here's a question... do you support the idea of forcing people diagnosed with mental health issues to be medicated and/or confined?