Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Looking to play WoW on a tablet

Hey guys youve done some awesome work for me in the past so i was wondering if you could help me out here as well. Im looking to buy a tablet that i can play wow on as well as watch movies online from sites such as link removed! please let me know if there is a tablet out there. The max i would spend would be 750-800. thanks!

Link removed - Please don't link sites that hint at piracy in their address as next time it'll be an infraction ~ Synthaxx
    Last edited by Chronalis; 2012-12-20 at 12:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    it does not exist

Errr... Lenovo X200T/X220T? Upcoming Surface PRO? Fujitsu tablets? HP makes some awell but it's HP.

Make sure it has atleast HD Graphics 2000/3000, i'd wait for the surface pro if i was you.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Errr... Lenovo X200T/X220T? Upcoming Surface PRO? Fujitsu tablets? HP makes some awell but it's HP.

Make sure it has atleast HD Graphics 2000/3000, i'd wait for the surface pro if i was you.
    The surface pro is 1080p, I doubt you'll get very good results in WoW with the HD 4000 chip (if it isn't HD 3000).

In that price range. There is nothing I can suggest that will have the grunt and the cooling necessary to reliably run WoW for a period of time without detrimental effects to the life of the product. Get a gaming laptop.

10+ Year Old Account

the lenovo is a tablet-pc not a tablet, there is a difference

the problem is more that tablets are not designed for gaming, while im sure you may get wow to run on a surface pro (it will probably be one of the first things i try when i get one) but i don't think you wont be able to do much beyond checking your AH and mail in silvermoon/exodar, but you can do that with the wow app

the pro specs:
    core i5
    4GB ram
    HD4000 graphics

what it is gonna come down to is how the hardware is designed, typically tablets are designed for power saving, not power output, so a traditional tablet with those specs would perform worse than a laptop with the same specs, perhaps in a few years when x86 based tablets get much better with haswell, but for now tablets, even the top end ones, just cant do the job

While not meant to play wow (its more for artists), and way more than your price range this can play wow on fairly good settings:

http://www.modbook.com/modbookpro

Its literally a MacBook Pro taken apart and reconfigured to look like a tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    the lenovo is a tablet-pc not a tablet, there is a difference

the problem is more that tablets are not designed for gaming, while im sure you may get wow to run on a surface pro (it will probably be one of the first things i try when i get one) but i don't think you wont be able to do much beyond checking your AH and mail in silvermoon/exodar, but you can do that with the wow app

the pro specs:
    core i5
    4GB ram
    HD4000 graphics

what it is gonna come down to is how the hardware is designed, typically tablets are designed for power saving, not power output, so a traditional tablet with those specs would perform worse than a laptop with the same specs, perhaps in a few years when x86 based tablets get much better with haswell, but for now tablets, even the top end ones, just cant do the job
    afaik intel is stepping up their game with the 4000 series and an i5 is more than enough to run it.

Also, I see no reason to make the distinction between tablets and tablet PCs. It's the same thing ,one's just heavier and convertible.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

I would suggest playing wow on a full touch tablet, the controls with or without an accessory keyboard would be a nightmare. However with that said you would always be hamperred by the need for a data connection so 3g,4g,WiFi. However depending on which tablet you purchased you would need one with built in data/wifi or if you went with a tablet pc you might need a network card.

For all the trouble and and money you would sink into purchasing such a tablet, you might as well purchase a decent laptop or build a rig.

The two main things needed to have an enjoyable WoW experience is processing power and a standalone graphics card. A tablet currently has neither. Even if you find a tablet that will run it. You will have multiple problems, prompting you to post here again for a solution to "why does wow run so choppy on my tablet?".

Here's my suggestion, do more chores around the house, save your xmas money, mow some lawns and get a gaming laptop.

10+ Year Old Account
    afaik intel is stepping up their game with the 4000 series and an i5 is more than enough to run it.

Also, I see no reason to make the distinction between tablets and tablet PCs. It's the same thing ,one's just heavier and convertible.
    the i5 and the hd4000 are more than enough to run, but i dont think it will be as good as a laptop

i make the distinction because most tablets are not x86, and they aren't designed to run like a pc, but i was referring more to a laptop with a reversible screen (tablet-pc) is still a laptop, and not a tablet in the sense of having a singular device

---------- Post added 2012-12-20 at 08:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    I would suggest playing wow on a full touch tablet, the controls with or without an accessory keyboard would be a nightmare. However with that said you would always be hamperred by the need for a data connection so 3g,4g,WiFi. However depending on which tablet you purchased you would need one with built in data/wifi or if you went with a tablet pc you might need a network card.

For all the trouble and and money you would sink into purchasing such a tablet, you might as well purchase a decent laptop or build a rig.
    you dont need a data plan for a tablet

Deleted
    The day PC gaming moves to tablets is the day I retire from gaming. The prospect of playing any PC games I play on a tablet makes me want to cry!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatie12 View Post
    The day PC gaming moves to tablets is the day I retire from gaming. The prospect of playing any PC games I play on a tablet makes me want to cry!
    not necessarily, one day tablets may be orders of magnitude better than current top end PCs, the problem then is interfacing, we like our monitors, keyboards, mice and controllers, and don't really view tablets as capable of delivering a good gaming experience, but imagine if you combined a future tablet with a future version of the peregrin glove and the occulus rift, it would surpass a desktop in interfacing

Deleted
    not necessarily, one day tablets may be orders of magnitude better than current top end PCs, the problem then is interfacing, we like our monitors, keyboards, mice and controllers, and don't really view tablets as capable of delivering a good gaming experience, but imagine if you combined a future tablet with a future version of the peregrin glove and the occulus rift, it would surpass a desktop in interfacing
    Imo, it's extremely unlikely a tablet will ever exceed the power of a PC due to cost and portability and the fact that they're not designed to achieve the same things. If gaming evolved to the point where we're interfacing with devices using things that you described, you'd probably want to use some kind of futuristic wall sized projected/3D display where effectively the whole room becomes the computer. You're not going to want to play games on a such a small screen, unless you're on the move. Still, somewhat venturing off topic here

10+ Year Old Account
    The Surface Pro should be able to although I don't know how well with the integrated graphics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatie12 View Post
    Imo, it's extremely unlikely a tablet will ever exceed the power of a PC due to cost and portability and the fact that they're not designed to achieve the same things. If gaming evolved to the point where we're interfacing with devices using things that you described, you'd probably want to use some kind of futuristic wall sized projected/3D display where effectively the whole room becomes the computer. You're not going to want to play games on a such a small screen, unless you're on the move. Still, somewhat venturing off topic here
    i think you miss the point of the occulus rift, it's meant as an immersion device, as in you never see a "screen" moving your head around moves the camera, and it matches your own field of view

Yes, any tablet with an x86 processor, eg. i5, rather than an ARM processor will be able to run WoW. But, because it will be intel integrated graphics it most certainly won't run well.

Side not: Occulus Rift is pretty sweet.
    Last edited by The Cat; 2012-12-20 at 07:29 PM.

Wasnt there some videos a few years back when the tablet craze started with rooted android tablets and jailbroke ipads play WoW thru a remote session into a persons home computer.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    Yes, any tablet with an x86 processor, eg. i5, rather than an ARM processor will be able to run WoW. But, because it will be intel integrated graphics it most certainly won't run well.
    Starting the game itself is not a problem. The real problem is control. Even moving without doing anything else will be a major pain.

Oh for sure, I'm not saying I would play it on a tablet. I'm just saying it's possible. What he chooses to do about using peripherals or not and (likely) terrible performance is up to him.