Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    My high school had like 5 police officers everyday

Deleted
    Why don't we just move schools onto army bases? Oh wait...

Calling and treating crazy people like crazy people isnt allowed in this pc society, the aclu and many lefty groups wont allow that to happen.

Any type of pattern recognition in a sociological setting is deemed racist/stereotype/bigot/etc.

To answer my earlier question of how much a cop at each school would cost, there are 98,817 K-12 Schools in the US. Cops make an average of $55,000 a year, not including benefits. That's $5.4 billion pre-benefits, pre-overhead for ONE cop per school.

Also of note:
    1) Most mass-shooting this year have not taken place at a school
    2) Since Newtown there have been 78 more people killed by guns in the US, mostly in high crime urban areas
    3) Columbine high school had cops.

Deleted
    So really the point of this is that if guns are allowed absolutely everywhere, there will be no shootings in those places? The places which are now full of guns...

This is like stopping a leak by taking the boat out of the water. Fix the fucking root of the problem please. Guns are out of control

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    Why don't we just move schools onto army bases? Oh wait...
    Private teachers for everyone!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    The NRA had an official press conference today chiming in on the massacre last week in Sandy Hook:
    Yeah, I saw it. If the NRA wants police officers in every school to deal with people misusing firearms... Then we should tax gun owners extra to pay for it.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Calling and treating crazy people like crazy people isnt allowed in this pc society, the aclu and many lefty groups wont allow that to happen.

Any type of pattern recognition in a sociological setting is deemed racist/stereotype/bigot/etc.
    This. I blame liberals for letting these people walk the streets as if they are normal people and integration is the way to go. Its like how they want to reduce pedofile sentences because of human rights of the perpetrator. If you cant play nice your ass should be locked up.

Quote Originally Posted by klimon View Post
    After 9/11 we have increased security and security spending to astronomical levels. Yet, we have 0 indication that any of those increases in "security" or spending has prevented even 1 attack.

Now, after 1 school schooting, you want to pay for to train and place armed guards at every school in the country? Who is going to pay for that? Will that actually make the schools any safer at all?
    29 foiled terrorist attacks since 9/11. I'm sure at least one of those was due to increased security spending.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

We don't need cops in schools. We need more principals like this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_High_School_shooting

A tragedy that people died, but a massacre was probably PREVENTED by armed faculty member.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Yeah, I saw it. If the NRA wants police officers in every school to deal with people misusing firearms... Then we should tax gun owners extra to pay for it.
    That's brilliant. I can just imagine the tears now. Bravo.

I had to laugh at this NRA proposal, because the only alternative to laughing was insanity.

It has to be a joke, maybe to lighten the hearts of the bereaved - what ever it is, it can't be serious.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    How about sorting the root of the problem? No school should need armed police guarding them, if that started happening here I would move country.

yes, if it gets to the stage where you need an armed guard protecting a school, its time to admit theres a problem. the US isnt some 3rd world country, it shouldn't need armed guards protecting schools

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    yes, if it gets to the stage where you need an armed guard protecting a school, its time to admit theres a problem. the US isnt some 3rd world country, it shouldn't need armed guards protecting schools
    There are multiple benefits to having policemen present in schools, aside from the security factor. It helps establish a positive relationship between kids and cops, so that they don't view them as oppressive figures but as people who want to help. It also helps the relationship between cops and the community, something I like about the US system of law enforcement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Ah yes, put armed cops in schools; and then pay us to train / arm them!

Such a brilliant business plan from a group of nutheads.

I have to have insurance and a license if I want to operate a car. I have to insure every car I own. If my car gets stolen then I have to keep the insurance up on it until the police recover it or give it up for lost.

Why that can't be the same for guns...? I have no problem with responsible people owning guns, so long as they have a safe or a lock mechanism to make sure those guns aren't misused. Require insurance for guns and the insurance companies will promote trigger locks and gun safes in order to reduce owner liability costs, and owners may increase their own safety habits in order to reduce the cost of owning guns.

Free market solution.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    There are multiple benefits to having policemen present in schools, aside from the security factor. It helps establish a positive relationship between kids and cops, so that they don't view them as oppressive figures but as people who want to help. It also helps the relationship between cops and the community, something I like about the US system of law enforcement.

they do that here by having the occasional day when police come in and speak to kids, having a guy stand by the gate witha gun isn't going to help forge any relationships

while avoiding expressing my own opinion on gun controls.. this suggestion to me strikes me as odd as every school i went to had what was called a resource office (cop) on campus. as did all the schools around me to begin with.. and no they wernt in ZOMG BAD AREAS, i thought this was normal.

i remember laughing at the guy while he was patroling the campus on his bike and he decided to ride it down some stairs and he took a tumble.

*shrug*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    they do that here by having the occasional day when police come in and speak to kids, having a guy stand by the gate witha gun isn't going to help forge any relationships
    I disagree. Having gone to school in three different countries, the US being the latest, I can say that having a cop at school on a day to day basis was a positive experience. Her name was Officer Hall; all the kids knew her, she was very good conversation, and we all knew we could count on her to help diffuse a situation should it arise.

The very fact that you're seeing cops as a protective agent instead of only having contact in negative situations, like if you break the law, is a positive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.