Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    There are pictures at the link, check them out too. Just not after or during eating.
    So this seems to be a drink in China and some parts of Korea, it is supposed to heal some diseases, would you drink it to find out if it's true?

http://www.junch.com/baby-mice-wine/

"Baby what, wine, eh?

Yes indeedy, baby mice wine. It’s wine with, well, baby mice in it.

Found in China, this deliciousness is believed to be a cure-all health tonic. It is believed it can cure anything from asthma to liver disease.

Baby mice wine isn’t just baby mouse flavoured, or have one baby mouse inside. Oh no, it has a whole pile of baby mice, only a few days old, floating around at the bottom of the bottle. Nasty huh? Well it gets worse – the baby mice are plucked from their mother’s teet, placed in the bottle alive and drowned. Perhaps that improves the flavour?

One thing I haven’t clarified is whether the mice in baby mice wine are eaten/drunk along with the wine, or just filtered out. Surely if they are the source of the ‘goodness’, they should be crunched upon and ingested along with the wine.

I’m sure many of us have eaten the worm at the bottom of a tequila bottle but how many of us could stomach a mouth full of baby mice?

Baby Mice Wine Update: The well travelled folk who comment on articles here at Junch have informed us that they have seen this fine delicacy in china and once the wine is consumed you are supposed to indeed eat the baby mice.

There are other similar products to baby mice wine including cobra wine and others, but perhaps we should keep them for another article."
    Ah yes, a "tonic". China loves that pseudo-science bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Ah yes, a "tonic". China loves that pseudo-science bullshit.
    So does the west. Its just different kinds of shit but the same smell...

Deleted
    The Western world is very picky when it comes to food. Also those of you who shun raw food. Try Steak Tartare or Kibbeh nayyeh. You will change your mind real quick, and wonder why you burn everything to a crisp.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't drink alcohol because it's aweful... doesn't help that there's dead animals in it either... I could care less that it's baby mice... OH NOO NOT THE BABY MICE... HOW AWEFUL!!! I WAS REALLY LOOKING FOWARD TO THEM DYING WITHIN THE NEXT YEAR FROM MY MOUSE TRAPS... OH THE HORROR!!! How will I go on? Easy, by not buying that drink and allowing the mice to explore my dungeons until they find the wrong piece of cheese.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

I think this is wasteful and disrespectful of life. I'm fine with killing animals of all ages for food but I don't find the life of a cow anymore or less valuable than the life of a mouse. The difference is that the death of a cow can feed a lot more people and other animals than the death of a mouse. I don't agree at all with the gratuitous killing of baby animals, any animals really, for silly things like this. You can make perfectly good wine without drowning baby mice. It's disgusting!

If someone offered me that, I would never talk to them again. I might even consider it a threat.

I can't imagine any sane words coming from the person pushing it to me.

crazy person: drink it, drink it or you will BE THOSE MICE!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Aalyy View Post
    I think this is wasteful and disrespectful of life. I'm fine with killing animals of all ages for food but I don't find the life of a cow anymore or less valuable than the life of a mouse. The difference is that the death of a cow can feed a lot more people and other animals than the death of a mouse. I don't agree at all with the gratuitous killing of baby animals, any animals really, for silly things like this. You can make perfectly good wine without drowning baby mice. It's disgusting!
    Yes.. but then it's just wine - not "tiny penis fixing wine" - like the Chinese obviously think this is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    So does the west. Its just different kinds of shit but the same smell...
    The difference is that China kills endangered animals to make these "medicines", like tigers, rhino's and apes.

Reminds me of the Canadian Sour Toe Cocktail

Deleted
    I hate wine so no thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    The difference is that China kills endangered animals to make these "medicines", like tigers, rhino's and apes.
    Well.. they use more than just endangered animals for these weird concoctions. There's tons of odd strange and weird stuff you'd not exactly think on using/doing in some of those eastern countries ideas of medicine.

Fuck no. I'm not really a wine drinker anyway, but even if I were, I wouldn't touch that with a 10-foot pole.

I never understood how people could possibly believe some of these "alternative" medicines. With ample scientific studies the facts are right in front of everyone's face!

Person A: "Ok guys we're finished harvesting this endangered animal so let's pack up and go"
    Person B "Are you sure there's nothing we can do with the leftover bones and organs?"
    Person A: "Wouldn't it be funny if we ground the bones to dust and then sold it as a cancer cure and maybe the organs too?"
    Person B "LOL let's do it for shits and giggles"

And now some Chinese are drowning baby mice in wine....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Focke View Post
    Yeah, interesting read. I get the feeling that plant 'pain' wouldn't actually invoke the suffering we typically associate with pain, because they don't have the complex cortexes that mammals etc have. I would assume that it would be closer to and lesser than insect 'pain'. A reflexive 'compulsion' to get away from potential hazards, rather than genuine suffering (Interesting but not super-fantastically written paper on the relation of fear and pain to the incitement of animal distress here: http://www.grandin.com/welfare/fear.pain.stress.html).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Nasty huh? Well it gets worse – the baby mice are plucked from their mother’s teet, placed in the bottle alive and drowned. Perhaps that improves the flavour?
    I feel nauseous...
    Last edited by Tikaru; 2012-12-23 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post
    Hehe! I do keep my fingers crossed hoping that they never find that plants 'feel' pain or whatever.

Well, I'm not completely innocent on that front. I still consume dairy, despite being aware of a large amount of mistreatment of the cows in production and the fact that every male dairy calf born is pretty much auto-veal. But, my diet is too lacking and generally bad to give it up. Maybe when soy stuff gets better and the range of faux-dairy products is better I can go full vegan. Simply cannot give up milk chocolate before then! xD In the meantime though, I have no illusions about being much more eco-friendly than the omni crowd.
    Well, that freshly cut grass smell in thousands of blades of grass screaming to their neighbours that they're under attack lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post
    Well, that freshly cut grass smell in thousands of blades of grass screaming to their neighbours that they're under attack lol.
    As a gardener i feel like a mass murderer...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orestis View Post
    Duct tape alone will work on warts. Why waste money on garlic?

Alternative medicine, homeopathy, etc... isn't called medicine for a reason. Sure in some cases it can work, though like your garlic example, if it is continually said that garlic is the reason for the warts disappearance, people may stop using the duct tape and results may no longer be seen. (Note: I've never heard of garlic as a remedy for warts before, but have used duct tape alone for success. I have no clue if garlic alone would work or not.)

As for the baby mice wine... that's pretty messed up. To each their own though.
    You use the ductape to keep the garlic on the wart for the night, not have it fall off.

---------- Post added 2012-12-23 at 12:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    There are lots of odd delicacies out there, haven't any of you wanted to try Ortolan?
    No, I have not and never will.