Poll: What's the worldwide definition of casual?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is no "worldwide definition of casual" Everyone has opinions, They cant all be right like mine but still - My defintion is a simple one. In this case WoW.

Casual - Someone that plays at rate they see fix regardless of what idiots think.

Its hilarious to all the people that picks that Casual means Bad. Lmao.
    Its like voting in a poll that asks - Are you a mindless cunt with too much blind Ego? These guys picked yes Apparently.
    Remember, A Man may break a Woman's Heart - But a Woman will destroy a Man's life. - SJK @ the #Antiwokenessworld

10+ Year Old Account
    Your poll was very hard for me to get through.....please learn the word "doesn't"....

Anyway, I consider myself a "casual" WoW player. Here is my WoW playing habits: I am never subbed for an entire expansion, and I usually never sub for more than 2 months straight. I take long breaks, but I do want to experience the x-pac and level my characters. I don't raid, I do PvP, and I play mostly solo.

I am the epitome of a casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    The point is that virtually everyone COULD be serious in some facet of the game if they wanted to (even if they can only play 6 hours a week) but they don't care to be; it's mostly an attitude in how they approach the game. Sure, there might be a few people who really can't even play 6 hours a week but that's a different set of people to me.
    I agree with that. I think by my personal definition of casual, there can be many serious casuals based on playtime. Serious about the game, but not hardcore about it.

As far as progression goes, though, I see a lot of people (particularly on class forums) who point out high end raid progression in limited game time (2 nights a week for example), but never mention that the raid might have originally started out with more raiding hours and cut back as they got raids on farm versus guilds who might always stick with the exact same raiding schedule and therefore likely make progress at a slower pace.

I honestly didn't even realize how many different things people consider "casual" to be until I read this thread. Good idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Regalbeast View Post
    Your poll was very hard for me to get through.....please learn the word "doesn't"....

Anyway, I consider myself a "casual" WoW player. Here is my WoW playing habits: I am never subbed for an entire expansion, and I usually never sub for more than 2 months straight. I take long breaks, but I do want to experience the x-pac and level my characters. I don't raid, I do PvP, and I play mostly solo.

I am the epitome of a casual.
    Good point, sorry for my bad english. I'm french so yeah, I do some mistakes that I shouldn't do. I'll check twice next time!

I should've added the option "Someone who don't really care about progression", however it would fit in the Someone who's social and who don't take the game seriously. I could've added the "Someone who doesn't raid on a defined schedule too" option, but it just happen that I learned it right now

There seems to be great discussion over here and I like reading you guys thought on the matter. Keep it up

All the poll options altogether will give you pretty much complete picture of what can be called casual.

Deleted
    Almost EVERYone in the game fits into SOMEone's definition of casual.

I probably play way more than most raiders that don't consider themselves casual but on the flip side I haven't done ANY heroics or raids since Wrath by personal choice (too much ego and politics for my liking). I've never touched LFR and don't plan to and other than TB and WG haven't really PvP'd either for a long time. If you go by time invested and effort invested it'd probably fall under hardcore, if you go by progression or so called "difficulty" you'd go with ultra casual. In my personal opinion, I'm neither.

edit.

Curiously I know a fair few people that raid current content quite extensively and meet every one of the options given (each option is a different person but none are generally considered casual)
    Last edited by mmoceb97de4aa0; 2012-12-24 at 09:32 PM.

My guild uses the C word to make excuses for bad play and it irritates the crap out of me. Apparently researching classes and knowing fights is outside the realm of possibility since "they have spouses, jobs, kids, etc..." To me the definition of casual is someone who simply lacks the time to commit to the game that hardcore raiders do. I would go so far as to say anything under 10-12 hours of raiding a week during progression would be considered casual by my books.

I'd say raiding at all, outside of LFR, puts you into the realm of what most people would define as being not-casual, unless we're using the literal term of what casual play is, then most everyone can fall into some part of that. You're doing content that only probably 5% of 10 million people do. You can say you're casual, it's easy, etc all you want, but you're not.

To me, a casual player just means someone who doesn't play as much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mairin View Post
    Almost EVERYone in the game fits into SOMEone's definition of casual.

I probably play way more than most raiders that don't consider themselves casual but on the flip side I haven't done ANY heroics or raids since Wrath by personal choice (too much ego and politics for my liking). I've never touched LFR and don't plan to and other than TB and WG haven't really PvP'd either for a long time. If you go by time invested and effort invested it'd probably fall under hardcore, if you go by progression or so called "difficulty" you'd go with ultra casual. In my personal opinion, I'm neither.

edit.

Curiously I know a fair few people that raid current content quite extensively and meet every one of the options given (each option is a different person but none are generally considered casual)
    judging from your signature.....you are most definitely NOT casual

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone who plays when they can, and doesn't stick to a strict raiding or PvP schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post
    Someone who plays when they can, and doesn't stick to a strict raiding or PvP schedule.
    This is an exact and 100% correct definition of the term.

Deleted
    Casual mostly is someone who doesnt have enough time to put into the game or doesnt want to.

It can be one of the best player, like me.

It can be one of the worst players, like many here.

A bit like hardcore people ( there are good and bad ones), it doesnt specify how good or bad they are, just the time spent in game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somebody who simply doesn't choose to invest the majority of their free time into a single game and commit to it.
    This could be somebody who simply doesn't want to have to play on a schedule and thus not raid at certain times, but still values the social aspect of the game. Or it could simply be a person who only raids once a week at a designated time.

Being Casual is all about the person's time investment, nothing else. Being Casual doesn't mean you are bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Akhom View Post
    bottom right should be RPs and top left , 30yo+

Deleted
    Someone I know defined Hardcore raiding as gemming and enchanting your gear...
    Well than, I don't want to know what he considers to be casual raiding!

The term "casual" lost any credibility if you ask me. Way too many people use it as an excuse to constantly fail, do not learn anything about their class, do not use consumables, do not gem/enchant gear etc. etc.
    Many of them even play way more than people from world top 100 guilds.

10+ Year Old Account
    All of the above pretty much. If I play something, I have to play it until I'm good at it, lol. Very competitive. Unfortunately that can take a lot of time.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy