Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    Deleted

US 10 days from bankruptcy.

What is most like going to happen if the debt ceiling ain't being raised.

Quote Originally Posted by zuluslayer View Post
    China gets a hold of a real big repo man...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    China gets a hold of a real big repo man...

OT: Nothing will happen. Business as usual.
    Last edited by mmoc338fdc3aa9; 2012-12-23 at 12:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering that the global economy is essentially one big ponzi scheme, and that the only thing actually backing the dollar is market "confidence." It makes these political games of brinkmanship all the more irrational and even downright suicidal.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    Lithuania launches their secret military plan for world domination.

We're fucked.

10+ Year Old Account
    We'll move on as usual.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/1lw5z.jpg?1[IMG]
    I dont follow...

Deleted
    I dont follow...
    Adele is pretty much a massive fat cow hence she qualifies as the aforementioned "big repo man"?

Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    Adele is pretty much a massive fat cow hence she qualifies as the aforementioned "big repo man"?
    I think you need to work on those punchlines...

Deleted
    I think you need to work on those punchlines...
    My punchlines are awesome. I always use a ruler!

Fiscal Cliff isn't bankruptcy.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. the US is NOT 10 days from bankruptcy.
    2. Education and access to information is important... the Debt Ceiling wont be reached until sometime in Feb 2013.
    3. Even then they'll just continue printing money and monetizing the debt.

What happens in 10 days is that the intended taxes from Obamacare go into effect, as well as the sequestration approved by both political parties, as well as the expiration of several tax cut plans, of which the President supports and actively campaigned for.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Things will still carry on, taxes for working people will go up, there will be some cuts, will likely hurt those who work standard government jobs but the higher ups and those on the government dole will keep getting their money.

If gov assistance checks shown up 2 days late then there would be blood in the streets.

10+ Year Old Account
    The "fiscal cliff" is an idea and term that was coined 48 days ago. It means nothing. As measured in percentages of GDP and accounting for inflation, the U.S. is currently twice as financially healthy as we were during World War II. No one wants to put these sorts of things into context. We survived the 1930s and 40s just fine and we recovered in the 1950s. If the "fiscal cliff" were real, we were 50 paces from falling off the cliff in 1945 and we're 100 paces from doing so today.

As long as were still using the dollar we can just print more, duh?

see i thought there was a "not over till the fat lady sings" punchline (which would have been better)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    The "fiscal cliff" is an idea and term that was coined 48 days ago. It means nothing. As measured in percentages of GDP and accounting for inflation, the U.S. is currently twice as financially healthy as we were during World War II. No one wants to put these sorts of things into context. We survived the 1930s and 40s just fine and we recovered in the 1950s. If the "fiscal cliff" were real, we were 50 paces from falling off the cliff in 1945 and we're 100 paces from doing so today.
    the point wouldnt be that we didn't survive the 1930's and 40's, its that it's not a time that would be pleasant to revisit in any form.so why would society want to not care about doing anything that might start it down that path?

10+ Year Old Account
    The economy will dip, but it will get rid of all of the Bush tax cuts.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) Sovereign states the size of the US can't go bankrupt.
    2) China is not going to gut its biggest market by calling in its debt.
    3) Most US debt is held domestically anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    Russia lost 20 Million citizens in WW2.
    Germany was still suffering from WW1 AND WW2.
    London was bombed to pieces.
    Almost all of Europe was ravaged by war.

You can't just isolate ''Dept to GDP ratio'' and tell everyone that everything is fine. In the 30s, 40s and 50s America was the dominant power in terms of technology, production and economy. Today, there are few arguments in favor for producing goods in the US and export it out of the US. While there are lots of reason to import goods into the US. One of them being, the US government will simply borrow more money.