Poll: Was it wrong to request a refund?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Legal:Yes
    Immoral:...Eh...

If you like it, then buy it, perhaps keep it for a later time, for a friend?
    Howay the lads!

Quote Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
    I'm just busting balls

What's the books name if I might ask?
    The Incumbent by Tonya Crusch

$8 Books, you really have to return them to pay for your car repairs... Its $8!!!!!!!! Thats under an hour of work, go get a job or something

Quote Originally Posted by Buzkil View Post
    $8 Books, you really have to return them to pay for your car repairs... Its $8!!!!!!!! Thats under an hour of work, go get a job or something
    I have a job. Again, I have money outside of the two books.

10+ Year Old Account
    .....still waiting for Swazi to get to the point.

Something like "people are legally abusing welfare and the rich end up paying for it through higher taxes blah blah something."
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    .....still waiting for Swazi to get to the point.

Something like "people are legally abusing welfare and the rich end up paying for it through higher taxes blah blah something."
    This isn't a political thread.

If you feel bad, make the Author feel good.
    Email them, and explain what happened, say you liked the book but unexpectedly fell into this financial situation, so you're returning it, but will buy again when your financial situation improves.

I'm sure if the Author has ability to see that someone returned her book, she might be feeling pretty sucky now, but if she gets an email explaining why you did so, she'll feel good about it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    What you did was immoral. You stole, even if it was legal, and that is wrong.

Does that make you a terrible person? Well... that depends. Every single person here has done something immoral at some point in their lives. If you claim otherwise you're lying. A good person is not a person who never does anything wrong, it's a person who does what they can to make right the wrongs that they commit. You seem to acknowledge that what you did was unethical, and you have plans to try and fix it when it's within your capability to do so. That doesn't make what you did right or okay, but it does speak to you not being some amoral monster laughing as you destroy other people's lives, y'know?

Ultimately, the person you have to justify your actions to is yourself, not us. For each one of /us/ that is a good person there's another that is an amoral monster, so in general our opinions are as likely to suck as not. Do whatever allows you to sleep comfortably at night.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    Stealing is when you take something from someone and give nothing in return... she gave money for the books... she is now returning those books and receiving her money... no one loses out... it's just a tad immoral, but hey... morals don't get you in trouble!
    She read the books which is what she is paying for essentially, not for having the books.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swazi Spring View Post
    This isn't a political thread.
    I know, I know. It's a thread about 8 dollars. Try harder next time.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Look at it this way: if you really like the books, you can buy them again later. Nobody can blame you for doing what you gotta do. See it as a temporary refund.

Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    If you feel bad, make the Author feel good.
    Email them, and explain what happened, say you liked the book but unexpectedly fell into this financial situation, so you're returning it, but will buy again when your financial situation improves.

I'm sure if the Author has ability to see that someone returned her book, she might be feeling pretty sucky now, but if she gets an email explaining why you did so, she'll feel good about it.
    Good idea, thanks! I just contacted the author and explained to her my situation and that I would pay her back as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Swazi Spring View Post
    Good idea, thanks! I just contacted the author and explained to her my situation and that I would pay her back as soon as possible.
    And she's probably going to be overwhelmed with joy because I dont think anyone does that.

It's $8.. Like honestly how broke could you possibly be.

If you feel bad enough to make a thread about this, DONT return the books...

Quote Originally Posted by Buzkil View Post
    It's $8.. Like honestly how broke could you possibly be.

If you feel bad enough to make a thread about this, DONT return the books...
    I have 80$ worth of shit I have to return to amazon / ebay sitting by my door because I cant be bothered mailing it out... i'm probably going to throw it out instead... lol

well, if you're gonna buy it again when your money-situation has stabilized again, then its probably fair game id say.

not immoral or wrong.
    return the books, get the money.
    buy them again later on if you feel obligated to.

Hahaha $8, really?

You say you have money saved up but want to be on the "safe side" but dude it's bloody $8!

Return the book and get your money back, don't buy it again in the future because if you're scraping around for $8 you mustn't that well off to afford such things in the first place.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    BEING an artist/writer myself, I understand that shit like this happens - just buy again in the future when you can.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

You're hard up for cash so instead of selling the Kindle, you're returning books you read? Ok.