Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Well let's look at intentional homicide rates. Our rate is as much as 4 times higher than other comparably wealthy nations. While reporting and the like has its effect, attributing a 400% difference to reporting strains credulity.
    Now when you say rates: Do you mean the raw number of intentional homicides? Do you mean the precentage or rate per capita? Are you comparing precentages or out right statistics?

If you say that the raw number is larger of course it will be! The Population is many time more numerous than many other "comparably wealthy nations!"

Who is trying to remove your right to own a weapon?
    That's what the current ban debate is about due to the wording they've enacted this time more than ever.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Haha, because "gun control" = "BAN ALL THE GUNS!" I love people who make generalizations.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Who is trying to remove your right to own a weapon?
    Obviously those who are in favor of more gun control. Itis already difficult enough to purchase a weapon in many states. Look at chicago for example, highest gun control and highest murder rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Now when you say rates: Do you mean the raw number of intentional homicides? Do you mean the precentage or rate per capita? Are you comparing precentages or out right statistics?

If you say that the raw number is larger of course it will be! The Population is many time more numerous than many other "comparably wealthy nations!"
    Here's the data I'm looking at.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._homicide_rate

Per capita obviously, it would be rather stupid to compare absolute numbers.

Here's the problem the "left" as it were say that studies show that the Economy, Population, Density, Health Care, and all of these other things have no effect on violence and that it is all because we have guns here. That seems to stand against all common sense but they have studies ya know.

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    Haha, because "gun control" = "BAN ALL THE GUNS!" I love people who make generalizations.
    A little bit of government always grows into a large government. A law saying you need to register a gun now will lead to a law saying you can no longer buy a gun.

Obviously those who are in favor of more gun control. Itis already difficult enough to purchase a weapon in many states. Look at chicago for example, highest gun control and highest murder rate.
    Who is trying to remove your right own a weapon? No one is. They're trying to regulate the weapons you get, but that's not unreasonable.

Chicago has nothing to do with what I'm saying.

That's what the current ban debate is about due to the wording they've enacted this time more than ever.
    No its not. Feinstein's law only targets certain types of fire arms. Not all firearms, to say nothing of all weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Khoranth View Post
    Guess you do not seem to understand how a "gun free zone" works. If guns are not allowed, then the people in the "gun free zone" will be safe from assasins or crazy people.
    Because criminals follow laws right? I get what you're trying to say, but it's the most hackneyed and obtuse way to go about it.

A little bit of government always grows into a large government. A law saying you need to register a gun now will lead to a law saying you can no longer buy a gun.
    Slippery slope arguments are pretty dumb.

I don't think that it is actually "wrong" to compare numbers if you do it correctly. The greatest sources of violent crimes come from the Major cities. What you'd have to do, in my mind, is to start comparing major cities which share equal variables. The problem is, people don't want to do that. They want to look at country to country which makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    I see the same thing happening with anti-gun people.

As I said, a debate like this generally doesn't accomplish anything. Apart from maybe a very small handful of people, neither side is going to sway the other. That's not to say it's not worth debating, it's just a matter of the mentality of the people doing the debating. It's just a bunch of "no, you're wrong, I'm right."
    What do you mean? It must generate a lot of ad-banner revenue on internet forums. Imagine if both sides finally reached an agreement! The internet's economy would collapse!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

That blankets the idea that the entire nation has the same rate. I would like to see where the "hotspots" are, you know where most of these homicides take place. Garunteed to be in large cities with strict gun laws.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Slippery slope. Logical fallacy.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    Hello friends.

We must protect the President, the Vice-President and their families. The only way to do so is to create "Gun Free Zones" around them.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...zones/6RDGkxLK

We no longer should need the Secret Service or other armed guards, once we create these "Gun Free Zones."

Help Protect Barack Hussein Obama by signing this pledge.
    There is a big difference between Secret Service agents and some random hillbilly carrying a gun.... Believe it or not. Everyone should agree with me.

Believe he's referring to this:

It's rate (per 100k population). And, random example, you're more than 4 times China's rate, and it's more than 4 times your population. So I don't think small sample size is an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I've never really understood how you actually feel things should be done. Are we supposed to wait until its too late and then challenge it or be preemptive? There are a lot of things in Feinstein's layout which are extremely damaging and which could lead to an abuse. Are you saying we should just wait and see? The obvious retort on wait and see is going to be a comparison to WWII ya know?

Also, stop saying "Only." Banning specific models isn't the "ONLY" thing it does.

That blankets the idea that the entire nation has the same rate. I would like to see where the "hotspots" are, you know where most of these homicides take place. Garunteed to be in large cities with strict gun laws.
    IDK, why don't you provide some data for the assertion?

Not to mention you seem to be assuming some sort of causation between gun control and high crime rates.

It's not an argument it is fact. Look how governments have evolved over the decades. One person with a little power rises to one with unquestionable power. What makes the US government any different? Early on we had leaders that believed in the ideals of the founding fathers. Now we have pathetic individuals trying to power grab.

Deleted
    Funny how the pro guns are accused of trying to ''control''.
    But really who's trying to control here really?The people who are ready to arm everyone and their next-door-psychopath just so that they can get their hands on a weapon and feel more in control of their security.
    While you may feel like your gun will keep you safe,crime will happen with or without a gun.And it so happens that with a gun your murder rate is four times as high as equally developed countries,so no the gun doesn't work,end of story.