10+ Year Old Account

Reinstalled windows, having mouse issues

I have the SteelSeries WoW mouse (the original, not the Cataclysm one) and I have absolutely loved it for as long as I've had it. However, after my recent wipe/reinstall, which I do about every 6 months or so, I'm having an issue with this mouse that is absolutely driving me insane, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to fix it.

The problem is, it sometimes 'misfires' when I click...meaning I have to double- or even triple-click on things to get them to work. Clicking on a link may take two clicks; clicking on an icon may take three. The first click has a really bad habit of not actually clicking. It's also 'letting go' of things that I'm dragging, even though I have the button pressed down. I've made sure the polling, DPI, double-click speed, all that stuff was exactly how it was before. I am using the official drivers and software for the mouse. (I have the lights and flashing and shit turned off, if that means anything.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you have it hooked up to your usb3.0 ports try hooking it up to your usb2.0 ports

10+ Year Old Account
    First, try it on a different computer. If the problem persists, it's the mouse.

That said, it sounds a LOT like an issue I've had with my Logitech M705 Marathon Mouse, which is a documented problem. Basically, the metal clip inside the mouse that makes the 'click' and also determines an actual clicking action (meaning, telling the computer button is pressed) has gotten flattened out from wear. This can, technically, be fixed. But the company may cover it under warranty. I fixed my mouse, but that may not be as easy, or an option. It might not even BE the problem. But it sounds similar.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not so much that the mouse doesn't click...I just recall not needing to press as hard to get it to click in the past. I usually just lightly tap it, and everything works fine. I'm actually having to consciously THINK about clicking to make it work now.

Also, if it's the metal clip, it doesn't explain why I didn't have this problem pre-wipe, but I do post-wipe. It quite literally started the day I wiped and reinstalled. I don't really consider that to be a random coincidence.

---------- Post added 2012-12-28 at 03:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    If you have it hooked up to your usb3.0 ports try hooking it up to your usb2.0 ports
    Huh, I didn't think about that. I'm not entirely sure I HAVE any 2.0 ports anymore...? Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 board. I'll have to take a look.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really consider that to be a random coincidence.
    Yeah, that does seem a bit odd. But the issue sounds the same. Easiest way to determine is just plug the mouse into another computer
    Huh, I didn't think about that. I'm not entirely sure I HAVE any 2.0 ports anymore...? Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 board. I'll have to take a look.
    The four blue ports are USB3, the two black ports are USB2, at least on the back.