Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Hurricane Sandy, which turned into a Superstorm after it weakened and collided with an arctic front and a jet stream, not to mention during a full moon.
    And who feels entitled enough to say that something like this never happened before?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokru View Post
    And who feels entitled enough to say that something like this never happened before?
    Apparently it's mathematically larger than all the ones who came before.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    i thought the 1993 "storm of the century" was bigger

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Guilu View Post
    Apparently it's mathematically larger than all the ones who came before.
    Who has seen/measured all the storms that happened before ~1800 when the recording of weather started?

Who has seen/measured all the storms that happened before ~1800 when the recording of weather started?
    they could just have added "in recorded history"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Yeah, I didn't remember that, how could they forgot that?
    maybe it wasn't a prediction. And it has very little to no effect on technological and scientific evolution. I don't really know. To me that's just another extraordinary stunt, like the guy that crossed the Niagara falls.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had no idea about the faster than light drive (my brain insists it be referred it as FTL). Even if it's only in concept, that's still pretty cool.

Otherwise the retina and arm ones are the coolest.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. A Cyborg Competes Against Able-Bodied Athletes at the Olympics
    This is a HORRIBLE description.. I'm actually rather shocked.
    Truth is, that he had prosthetic legs and feet from his knees down... calling that a cyborg is morbid and insulting, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Truth is, that he had prosthetic legs and feet from his knees down... calling that a cyborg is morbid and insulting, in my opinion.
    "A cyborg, short for "cybernetic organism", is a being with both biological and artificial (i.e. electronic, mechanical, or robotic) parts"

does that not fit?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    http://io9.com/5971328/the-most-futu...e-true-in-2012

11. The First Large-Scale Geoengineering Project is Detected Off Canada's West Coast.
    Anybody care to expand, what's this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    they could just have added "in recorded history"
    But they didn't!

Yes, I am that nit-picky ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Those legs had integrated processors that ran software for movement. Seems like a cyborg to me.

Actually this particular guy didn't have computerized ones. But many people do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    "A cyborg, short for "cybernetic organism", is a being with both biological and artificial (i.e. electronic, mechanical, or robotic) parts"

does that not fit?
    No.. not in the least. There was nothing robotic at all.. or else, we classify anyone with a wooden leg now a cyborg, or someone with a hip replacement?
    Sorry, that's derogatory nothing else.

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 11:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Those legs had integrated processors that ran software for movement. Seems like a cyborg to me.

Actually this particular guy didn't have computerized ones. But many people do.
    Now we come closer.... yet still we make exceptions. We don't consider people who have a pacemaker implanted to drive their hearts as cyborgs.

I'd say a being that's for at least half of it's body computerized mechanic could be called a cyborg. Plain prosthetic replacements are not applicable.
    Gotta keep at least some dignity and respect for human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Conor View Post
    Anybody care to expand, what's this?
    You can read more about it here: http://io9.com/5952101/a-massive-and...das-west-coast
    but a quick quote:
    The intention of the project is for the plankton to absorb carbon dioxide and then sink to the bottom of the ocean. George is hoping to cash in on lucrative carbon credits.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    NASA Starts to Work on a Faster-Than-Light Warp Drive
    This without a doupt.
    How cool is the concept of warpdrive?
    If mats say its possible, its possible, altough probably not with our current technology, but research into futuristic technology will always be better for the progress of our species.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, Warp Drive?!?!?!!?!?

Now all I can think about is how I'll be dead by the time it's completed.

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    This without a doupt.
    How cool is the concept of warpdrive?
    If mats say its possible, its possible, altough probably not with our current technology, but research into futuristic technology will always be better for the progress of our species.
    I find it more scary than cool.
    The kind of 'modern' science started in late 19'th century? There was some stuff earlier, but it doesn't seem super modern, and the pace is just accelerating.
    So if we're less than 200 years into actual science, and only 100 years away from a ship that travels between stars in a matter of weeks, than what if there is an intelligent life on the other end of the universe with just another 100 years of science on top of us. Before this discovery we were safe - kind of like America was "safe" before we got modern ships and planes.
    We used to be light-years away from closest stars, now it seems we're only 2 weeks away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gotta keep at least some dignity and respect for human beings.
    I don't understand why being called a cyborg would be derogatory?

Deleted
    Half of these things I wasn't even aware of, this year has been far more amazing than I had every anticipated from a scientific stand point.

I read a bit more about some of the most impressive ones. They are exagerations. By a lot. F.e. the so-called cyborg just has metallic legs (not even robotic, just a metal piece with a special shape, something like a modern wooden leg). The warp device is just a concept, i bet it is not even possible in the end. The cibernetic hate crime is just a guy who wears a webcam in the eye and supposedly got attacked at a mcdonalds (he has always been surrounded by controversy) and while he describes other function apart from broadcasting, like seeings things superimposed thanks to some modifications to this camera he wears, the real thing is that that part is just theory and unused in practice. Augmented reality is far from mainstream, most people dont even know what it is and so on.