Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well setting up this conception through craigslist was pretty fucking stupid. But no he shouldn't have any involvement nor have to pay a cent. He is a surrogate parent.
    Sadly he wasn't 'legally so'.

So now this claim has gotten shit screwed up and the wrong people are being penalized for it.
    And yeah he's probably right, someone somewhere looked at this case and jumped on it to further a political point. It's obvious. Hell my own family has gone through bullshit before with legal systems arbitrarily pulling claims on us because a nameless face saw an opportunity to prove something. It's pathetic.

Stupid case is stupid, and the poor people involved made a silly mistake and had to go through the worst of the consequences for it. I know that feel and if there's any justice in the world this case will be thrown at the door and laughed at for it's bullshit.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    So basically, you're going to reassert your position without answering any questions? Good form, you get ten points for knowing how to argue.
    I'd answer your questions if they were in any way relevant to the case, unfortunately you have a bunch of "what if" strawman arguments that have nothing to do with anything. His genetic material wasn't stolen, nor was he raped, nor was he cloned. I find it amusing that you put these scenarios forward knowing full well they have nothing to do with this situation, and then accuse me of not knowing how to argue. The fact is this man fathered this kid and legally is his parent. He has no legal exemption from his responsibilities.

The agreement, or contract, signed when one donates through a registered sperm donation clinic is official and recognised by law. Just because the two parties had a handshake agreement doesn't trump the actual law when it comes to who the child's father is. The kid isn't a fucking Pokemon card.

Quote Originally Posted by Festisio View Post
    GG lezbos.

You bring a child into the world unnaturally and then break up leaving them to suffer an upbringing with divorced parents.

Infracted.
    As if that doesn't happen with heterosexuals? A bit narrowminded don't you think?
    ~ stuff, the best thing ~

Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    The agreement, or contract, signed when one donates through a registered sperm donation clinic is official and recognised by law.
    The problem is that this couple may not have been able to use a sperm bank for a typical legal method, because the system there may not accommodate lesbian couples. If this is true, then effectively the state is saying "sorry, we won't let lesbians have babies of their own, and if you try to circumvent this, we'll punish the donor."

Of course, if this isn't true, then they should have went through normal channels, and not craigslist. Either way, this guy doesn't deserved to be punished.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, he should not, but he brought this stupidity on himself for being so foolish in the first place. You reap what you sow.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    The problem is that this couple may not have been able to use a sperm bank for a typical legal method, because the system there may not accommodate lesbian couples. If this is true, then effectively the state is saying "sorry, we won't let lesbians have babies of their own, and if you try to circumvent this, we'll punish the donor."
    Yes, it's a shitty situation, but until the state changes its law the unofficial donor isn't going to be able to legally give up his responsibilities. Unfortunately you cannot just go around deciding which bits of law you want to apply, especially if you then go asking the state for money.

Deleted
    I'm not too sure. I don't think he should really because it's not his child. Biologically it is, but he gave up any rights to the child as soon as he donated his sperm to the childs parents. If he has had no rights to the child up until now, then he shouldn't have to pay. I originally thought it was the couple trying to get some extra cash, but when I read it was the state doing it because they don't think that the mothers ex-partner can pay maintenance because she's a woman... just a bit crazy to me.
    However, who the fuck donates sperm to someone through Craigslist? That's just retarded. You're just asking for it to blow up in your face. If you want to donate to help couples who can't procreate themselves then do it through a clinic where you'll be protected against shit like this. Thankfully the kid is too young to realise wtf is going on at the moment.

Yes, it's a shitty situation, but until the state changes its law the unofficial donor isn't going to be able to legally give up his responsibilities. Unfortunately you cannot just go around deciding which bits of law you want to apply, especially if you then go asking the state for money.
    Really, in any case, it should be totally legal to sign a contract giving up all rights to a child so long as it passes to another person and both sign it.

What does the state care who the child support comes from?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    Really, in any case, it should be totally legal to sign a contract giving up all rights to a child so long as it passes to another person and both sign it.

What does the state care who the child support comes from?
    Just like it should be totally legal for two adults to sign a contract making them a couple in the eyes of the law, regardless of gender. Unfortunately there are numerous laws that are frustrating, it's up to us to change them.

Deleted
    Ofc He should not. This sounds like a really really bad joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm surprised more people haven't been like "ERMAHGERD FOX NEWS, didn't read" Back on topic, it's pretty dumb they would make him pay though i can't say i feel bad for him.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Even if he had had sex with her and gotten her pregnant, if she had a way to contact him and never sought child support from him, there's no reason he should have to pay it now.

I can't get over the ignorance in your posts.

He is only paying it now, now that the Mother is seeking financial assistance from the State. The State has an obligation to seek financial assistance from the Father instead of passing the financial obligations onto the tax payers.

How do you really not understand that?

10+ Year Old Account
    "Angela Bauer and her former partner, Jennifer Schreiner"
    "Angela Bauer and her former partner"
    "former partner"
    "former"

Something tells me she desperately seeks more options now that the partner is no longer with her to support financially and sinks as low as trying to get payments from the donor.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    "Angela Bauer and her former partner, Jennifer Schreiner"
    "Angela Bauer and her former partner"
    "former partner"
    "former"

Something tells me she desperately seeks more options now that the partner is no longer with her to support financially and sinks as low as trying to get payments from the donor.
    You could actually read the article. It is the State seeking financial support from the Father on behalf of the kid, since the Mother needs welfare.

Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    I can't get over the ignorance in your posts.

He is only paying it now, now that the Mother is seeking financial assistance from the State. The State has an obligation to seek financial assistance from the Father instead of passing the financial obligations onto the tax payers.

How do you really not understand that?
    Except the real parents of the child were the 2 women. The state should be trying to get the money from the other woman but 2 women cant get married there so they wont. If the case was a hetero couple that used donated sperm the same way the state would want the money from the ex-husband.

They tried to cut corners by using craigslist or they wanted to personally know the guy before using him. They probably didnt get a lawyer to make official legal papers like the type sperm banks use to shield donors from child support and have some sort of napkin agreement. From what Ive heard sperm banks have pretty detailed info on donors if you want it and vials are not all that expensive. It would be more expensive to get a doctor to do the insemination which they also didnt do.

In this case the state should either refuse her support claim (they have a bunch of adopted kids too so its really their fault they are in this situation) or reclassify it to get child support for one of the adopted kids from the other partner.

10+ Year Old Account
    WAIT! let me see if i understand... A guy donated his sperm and the person who got his sperm is demanding him to pay child support?!

That's stupid!~

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's not for him to decide. You can't just decide that a certain law doesn't apply to you anymore. Legally the kids are his responsibility.

It's a shitty situation, but those are the facts. Perhaps they can come to some sort of arrangement where the couple give him the money every month and it comes out of his bank account, though that might be far more contact than the three of them wanted. That said, they got themselves into this situation by using a sperm donor from Craigslist. The likelihood of problems was fairly high when they decided to go ahead with what they did.

A case before his. Which is almost the same thing but opposite The government would not give parental rights to a donor as they didn't have parental rights agreement before hand. This is what he will be using as his defense even.

This guy does have the agreement. Just the state wanting to hit an easy target for money.

---------- Post added 2013-01-03 at 04:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by maxilian View Post
    WAIT! let me see if i understand... A guy donated his sperm and the person who got his sperm is demanding him to pay child support?!

That's stupid!~

You got it wrong. Next time try reading.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    A strange argument against gay couples having kids, especially (like this couple) when you factor in how long the avg gay couple stays together. Thats what i took from the fox side of things.
    Especially since heterosexuals aren't in any position to toss stones. The average marriage in the USA lasts just 8 years.

The laws for hetro's differ greatly since its a traditional relationship with a man. This case has no man aside from the donor.

Not sure what happens if it were a male gay couple, both liable for child support? It would be logical since neither woman is liable for child support in this case under current law.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    People like you are annoying as hell, fox is usually the top of google search and doesnt have 14 different scripts. Foxnews has 2 scripts, both trusted. Get noscript if that flew over your head.

Stuff like this is why were bankrupt as a nation, how much do you think this is costing taxpayers?
    Except when you allow those two scripts, about 14 others come in int the noscrpit list.

What does that have to do with anything anyway? He didn't want to read it because he doesn't like foxnews, not based off how many scripts it runs.

If you don't like sites based of scripts, what are you doing at mmo-champ?

Also, wow lots of people didn't bother reading the article at all.