Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I've yet to say any evidence that assassination scales substantially worse then combat and sub. The only even moderately detailed look at scaling that I've seen suggests that sub is actually the weakest scaling spec of the 3 and while combat scales better then assassination it doesn't scale hugely better as everyone expects. This could be caused by model weaknesses in shadowcraft, especially the sub result but without another analysis to compare with its hard to say.
    Last edited by fierydemise; 2013-01-06 at 07:53 AM.

Assassinaton = Poison Damage = scales over AP = AP doesn't ramp up high through content for our class

Combat and Sub = much more reliant on weapon damage (SS and BS) = scales over WD and iLVL = iLVL ramps up a lot through content, even more now with the item upgrade thing.

Very fast and non-exhaustive explanation, but should do the trick.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Plus you'd think that since both Combat (Vitality) and Subtlety (Sinister Calling) have flat percentage-based increases to AP and Agility respectively, and Assassination does not have anything equivalent, that Combat and Sub would inevitably scale better.

I understand the typical intuition but I haven't seen any evidence that the typical intuition is correct or if it is correct any attempt to quantify the magnitude of the better scaling specifically to show that combat and/or sub will become substantially better than assassination during T15 or T16.

Deleted
    Would love Sub to be though ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Skulldouggery View Post
    Plus you'd think that since both Combat (Vitality) and Subtlety (Sinister Calling) have flat percentage-based increases to AP and Agility respectively, and Assassination does not have anything equivalent, that Combat and Sub would inevitably scale better.
    Yeah uh no. Whats better, getting 20% more agility/ap or having your agility/ap be 20% more effective? Trick question because its the same thing. Now I realize the % aren't the same across the specs, but your argument that assassination doesn't have a flat bonus increase to the amount of a stat is dumb because its 20% damage bonus means all the stats are 20% more effective in terms of dps gains.

@wow
    Maybe I'm crazy, but I thought the cata spec bonus for assassination was 20% more auto attack damage and not 20% more melee damage (in addition to the poison stuff).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou View Post
    @wow
    Maybe I'm crazy, but I thought the cata spec bonus for assassination was 20% more auto attack damage and not 20% more melee damage (in addition to the poison stuff).
    You're right, if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou View Post
    @wow
    Found a cata verison of spells database

http://db.mmo-champion.com/s/84601/assassins-resolve/
    The mouse over show the live version for some reason but when you click it shows the cata version.

Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    Found a cata verison of spells database

http://db.mmo-champion.com/s/84601/assassins-resolve/
    The mouse over show the live version for some reason but when you click it shows the cata version.
    Not entirely on topic, but it's fun how the damage of the two dagger specs is balanced with a flat % damage increase (sanguinary vein works exactly the same way).
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Deleted
    So, 5.2 is here.
    What are your thought on dps scale factors?
    Should assasination rogues gem pure mastery?
    And, why favor haste over crit as a secondary stat?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxis69 View Post
    So, 5.2 is here.
    What are your thought on dps scale factors?
    Not much. It's the same as always, although Assassination won't scale as poorly as it did last xpac because of Dispatch. Assassination will also be the go-to spec because of Dispatch if your raid needs an execute.

So, 5.2 is here.
    Should assasination rogues gem pure mastery?
    And, why favor haste over crit as a secondary stat?
    Run SimC and see if mastery is scaling any better than Agility. If Agility is still scaling Mut's damage better, then keep gemming Agility, Agi/Mastery and Agi/Hit.
    As to whether or not to favor Haste over Crit, I'd say they're still equal past a 530 ilvl. The Dispatch/Envenom buffs were REALLY nice.
    Carp - Illidan-US
    I wish I wish I was a fish.
    My rogue

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp The Fish View Post
    Run SimC and see if mastery is scaling any better than Agility. If Agility is still scaling Mut's damage better, then keep gemming Agility, Agi/Mastery and Agi/Hit.
    Sorry if i sound like a noob, but why would Muti be so important when its damage output is poor to say the least compared to deadly poison and venomous wound - dispatch in execute?

Sorry if i sound like a noob, but why would Muti be so important when its damage output is poor to say the least compared to deadly poison and venomous wound - dispatch in execute?
    I call the spec "Mut". Sorry for the confusion.
    "If Agility is still scaling Assassination's damage better, then keep gemming Agility, Agi/Mastery, and Agi/Hit"
    Carp - Illidan-US
    I wish I wish I was a fish.
    My rogue