Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

10+ Year Old Account
    so what exactly does this act cover?

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    so what exactly does this act cover?
    The Violence Against Women Act.

10+ Year Old Account
    So apparently the GOP doesn't like it because it extends protections to same-sex couples and because it allows battered illegal immigrants temporary visas.

I'm pretty much OK with both of those things.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    a little light on info here laize, but you have my attention
    Apologies. Posting from my phone.

The facts are straightforward as they are stupid. The House GOP has refused to re authorize the VAWA in the grounds that illegals and other people republicans don't like (A group which apparently includes women) would be aided.

There were a few good reasons to nix the Act if for no other reason than taking it to a more egalitarian and less civil-rights-encroaching way... but their reasoning suggests they don't want to help ANY victims of violence.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    . . . . decided VAWA should be allowed to expire because it helps illegal immigrants.
    Maybe I'm missing it, but where does it say that in the story?

The new Congress has taken a step in the right direction: allowing redudant, unnecessary legislation to expire. Maybe there is a small glimmer of hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Apologies. Posting from my phone.

The facts are straightforward as they are stupid. The House GOP has refused to re authorize the VAWA in the grounds that illegals and other people republicans don't like (A group which apparently includes women) would be aided.

There were a few good reasons to nix the Act if for no other reason than taking it to a more egalitarian and less civil-rights-encroaching way... but their reasoning suggests they don't want to help ANY victims of violence.
    all good, and ty

it honestly sounds like something that a nation that considers itself civilized should have in some form tbh. any chance they will create a replacement act/bill?
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    all good, and ty

it honestly sounds like something that a nation that considers itself civilized should have in some form tbh. any chance they will create a replacement act/bill?
    My opinion is that it is likely that something will be brought up, along with the Hurricane Sandy relief. The fiscal cliff talks have been all consuming towards the end of the session.

Additionally, I'm curious if this bill was brought up in the Senate at all. I'll admit I'm not looking deeply in to the issue at all other than reading the linked story.

My own personal opinion is that you don't call it a Rep or Dem congress unless said party controls both houses of congress.

Just admit it. You were going to blame Republicans no matter what.
    Your comments are duly noted and ignored.
    I punch a hobo every time someone says 'it's not a rotation it's a priority list lol'.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    Maybe I'm missing it, but where does it say that in the story?
    Honestly I read about this earlier today but didn't get a chance to post. Now i am posting from my phone and apparently have an article that doesn't list reasons for the decision.

I'll find it.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    How people are still republicans I'll never understand. Its fine to be conservative, its fine to have conservative values (pro life, pro marriage) but with the B.S. that the GOP is causing lately.... I just don't get it.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
    you know laize is anything but a liberal right?
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Can someone explain why a bill like this is necessary? Violence against anyone (gender is irrelevant) is illegal. Why do woman need a special bill? Is there is a VAMA?

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    How people are still republicans I'll never understand. Its fine to be conservative, its fine to have conservative values (pro life, pro marriage) but with the B.S. that the GOP is causing lately.... I just don't get it.
    Maybe because their ideals more closely align with a certain party over another?

I have yet to find a person who blindly follows and agrees with a singular party on every single issue.

Quote Originally Posted by openair View Post
    Can someone explain why a bill like this is necessary? Violence against anyone (gender is irrelevant) is illegal. Why do woman need a special bill? Is there is a VAMA?
    The US went on a kick for a while where we had to have bills that protected everyone who wasn't a white male.

you know laize is anything but a liberal right?
    Realistically, it is a safe assumption to make on these boards if you don't know the given user specifically.

This bill can be summed up easily: special interest group. At $100+ billion, it's definately not a cheap program, either.

Feminist groups denounced the changes to the bill broadening the focus on more than just women.

Then when the bill doesn't pass after they were the ones pressuring politicians not go though with the bill reforms they whine and complain anyways.

There's no pleasing feminists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it's trendy and hip, like global warming and renewable energy. In Australia the current fad is aboriginal BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
    I AM a Republican, sir. But. i have the integrity to know when my party is being a bunch of petulant little twats.

Here is a link that should lay it all out.

http://tv.msnbc.com/2012/12/21/why-d...emain-stalled/