Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I hope is one of those "I'll patent this before some retard get the idea of really using it".
    Better to have it in the hands of someone that want to throw in in the bottom of drawer and lock it.

Besides the use of that system is Illegal in most countries. It would cause a backlash, and Sony would sure lose trials.

Meh I really do not care, only reason I will buy a PS4 is if kingdom hearts 3 comes out and it is Ps4 exclusive. Honestly though this seems a bit dumb in its current stated, would it not be easier to safe the Cd keys to an online account similar to steam. So if the Ps4 breaks u buy a new one and use the old account?

Deleted
    They won't release this. Don't worry about it too much.

Many patents that make no sense are out there...and they often are to protect themselves in case another company tries to do something they don't like. If Nintento for example will come with a system/concept that is even 5% a like what Sony took a patent on they could delay Nintendo with pointless lawsuits etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Console gamers, welcome to a PC gamers world.

I'm curious how likely do you think it is they will all get on bored with this tech?

I'm on board if Prices go down(lol I doubt it) and Gamestop dies.
    Hi Sephurik

Deleted
    For now, I have no problem with this.
    I rarely ever by second-hand software, and I imagine most of my games will be purchased through the online market (X-Box Live, PSN,...) anyway, forever re-downloadable through my account.

I still plan on getting a PS4.

These rumors have been around for awhile. In fact Microsoft has been hinting at this too. Sony has already used the digital download model now for two devices: the PSP Phone ([url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xperia_Play]Xperia Play[url]) and the PS Vita. So this is nothing new really. Gone are the days of letting your buddy borrow your game, or you selling it back. This is a similar problem to the music industry and book industry.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know how many things Sony has patented over the years and they never see the light of day? This would be a stupid move if they did this. It would have to be locked to your PSN account and not the console. There's no other way this could work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayier View Post
    Console gamers, welcome to a PC gamers world.
    Agreedm this is what we've going through for awhile now. Steam, Amazon, Origin, Bnet. Having the discs is more or less of a hassle. And having a persistent internet connection is damn near prerequisit for the games.

If they tied it to a user account, which is tied to an email address...just like PC's, then I would have no real issue with this. It's been happening in the PC world for quite some time. Tying the game to the console itself wouldn't really stop what they are wanting to stop. All it would do is create another tier of used hardware available at Gamestop, "Sure we'll give you $50 for your PS4, and $25 for for Assassin's Creed 4, $15 for Final Fantasy 15, and $5 for your Madden '13 all attached to the console". Then you'll see, "Used PS4 with AC4, FF15 and Madden '13 all for $150!!!".

The cost of games won't go down, with this type of system. It could basically keep the price at a standstill for a number of years more. Additionally, any game worth buying will eventually become a "greatest hit" and sell for $20 or as a game of the year addition with a bunch of the DLC already attached for the price of the original box.

At the rate we're going, and if Sony, Nintendo and MS wind up moving forward with this technology, there's going to wind up being little difference between a console and PC. The "consoles" of tomorrow will simply be a "gaming" rig that you can't upgrade and a unique user interface that acts as a front for the underlying operating system.

The only problem I have with this is what happens when your console breaks? If they eliminate that issue, I don't mind it.

that sounds awful! Why on earth would they expect me to pay for that? Replace the console, and be forced to replace your WHOLE game library? No thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Everything is moving towards digital distribution anyway, so you're going to have to deal with no more used games sooner or later.

As for Sony shooting themselves in the foot, I don't think that's the case. If Sony were to confirm that their next console was to implement a system like this, do you really think Microsoft would pass up the opportunity to do the same? Eliminating used game sales would cause an increase in revenue as there is no alternative to buying new, and if their main rival is already doing it, there is no risk of losing customers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    that sounds awful! Why on earth would they expect me to pay for that? Replace the console, and be forced to replace your WHOLE game library? No thanks.
    The thing is, that was just the OP's imagined scenario. There really is nothing else pointing towards that happening.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's most likely that such a system would 'bind to account', to steal a term from WoW.

You'll create a PSN account (or something similar), and it will bind the games to your account a la Steam.
    That way, if something happens to your console or whatever, you'll have the games licensed to your account.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    It's most likely that such a system would 'bind to account', to steal a term from WoW.

You'll create a PSN account (or something similar), and it will bind the games to your account a la Steam.
    That way, if something happens to your console or whatever, you'll have the games licensed to your account.
    Well with WoW whenever you by the game or an expansion you have to have an authentication code. So you have to have an account to bind it to. Most people that have a PS3 also have PSN account, so it shouldnt be that different. Especially if you have a PS Vita you need to have an internet connection and a PSN account to get games. . .

Meh, I could see them implementing this almost immediately, or at least prior to the PS4's release. They probably lost an unimaginable amount of money to people buying second hand games, more than likely with a majority being sold from person to person (ie auction site style) methods, from which they gain nothing.

The way second hand gaming works really does hurt these companies, especially given the huge loss per console sale that Sony had with the PS3, they depend on the games and accessories sales to even break even.

Microsoft's far more effecitve marketing of the XBox Live marketplace, Live Arcade and even just subscriptions to Live itself are what made the 360 so profitable. However, Sony didn't even charge for people to connect to the PSN, which means every time something went wrong or needed repairing/replacing/upgrading, or someone needed questions answering about it/assistance, it came directly from their pockets, with no funding source in particular for it. Xbox Live subscriptions ensured that everything was covered from top to bottom, with upgrades not being any kind of issue as it was funded already.

In conclusion, the loss of physical second-hand sales will be a non event for Sony. Also, if your PS3/4 breaks, you won't need to buy the game a second time. They'll invalidate the old ID and give you a new one.

In the end, the only people that lose out are the second hand gaming crowd. Who will instead just wait to get their games in sales.

It honestly seems like Sony is patenting the tech so that it doesn't get used, and IF one of their competitors tries to use it, they'll have to pay Sony a percentage on each console sold. Not a bad way to "win" the console war imo, 100% revenue from your own sales plus a percentage of the competitions.
    ☭Politics Understander and Haver of Good Takes☭Posting Is A Human Right☭
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    If I was in his boots (and forced to join the SS in 1939 or whenever he joined), I would have tried to liberate the camp myself or die trying. He did not. He traded his life for the life of thousands of people, thus he should face the consequences
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

Deleted
    Ever since that crap with rumble features in controllers, games companies have to patent almost every idea they have just in-case. It's not really a big deal.