Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Hopefully you will have to pay $30 for a subscription /dreamcometrue

Quote Originally Posted by Goremonger View Post
    What? I'm confused...

I always prefer Sub over F2P, a bit disappointing but not unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesec View Post
    I'm a bit worried if it'll be some kind of League of Legends shop System ( which I personally totally hate in the long run ) because I don't like the idea of playing an MMO and having to pay from the shop to have the cool stuff.
    This is ironic if you play WoW
    And it is 100% expected that Blizzard will be putting a Cash Store in any new game. Be glad that you do not have to pay 15$ a month in order to have the privilege to pay 10$ for an item.
    Last edited by cityguy193; 2013-08-04 at 10:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully it will be like Guild Wars and you pay $60 with a shop, atleast that's what I am hoping for.

Shouldn't this be in another section of the forum other than WoW General?

OT: I'm glad they're going F2P, it's definitely the future. It will become very popular as F2P if the quality is decent, and the community will be very large. I know a lot of my friends don't play WoW because of the subscription, even if it is only $15 per month, so hopefully we can play together more on the Titan project game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't have any idea whatsoever how to react since I don't know what it is other than some thing that Blizzard has been working on. I was guessing all along that if it was an MMO released any time in the next year or so it would be some version of B2P or F2P because the subscription model for new MMO's is a dead duck.

Moderator Note: Moved to the Video Games forum where it properly belongs [ML/GenD]
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    this is encouraging people to continue their wow subs after titan.

Quote Originally Posted by Goremonger View Post
    I'm assuming that this is said while under the impression that subscriptions create exclusivity that improves the quality of the community and keeps out trolls/undesirables.

Brotip: It doesn't, and the high level community in subscription based games can be just as shitty as the community in F2P games. The biggest determinants in the quality of the community are the type of game (MMORPG, MMOFPS, MOBA, etc.) and the size of the community (smaller communities tend to contain a lower percentage of trolls due to everyone knowing each other and not dealing with trolls etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I'm assuming that this is said while under the impression that subscriptions create exclusivity that improves the quality of the community and keeps out trolls/undesirables.

Brotip: It doesn't, and the high level community in subscription based games can be just as shitty as the community in F2P games. The biggest determinants in the quality of the community are the type of game (MMORPG, MMOFPS, MOBA, etc.) and the size of the community (smaller communities tend to contain a lower percentage of trolls due to everyone knowing each other and not dealing with trolls etc.).
    I agree completely. After picking up Rift again, I notice that the server/player community is less tolerant of trolls. The community as a whole seems to be more helpful of newer players too. There is still the typical jerk that spats off garbage, but its limited in the higher level chat channels. I still noticed players with short fuses in dungeons, but once those players leave (they usually drop after 1-2 wipes), the group becomes more friendly (and usually progresses quicker).

I also noticed the same thing after SWTOR launch. The low populated servers seemed more helpful overall versus the higher-populated servers.

Honestly, the best way to get rid of trolls is to stop feeding them. Smaller, closer-knit communities offer less opportunity to feed them. Larger populations offer more targets and more people willing to bite.

and less fodder for them to prey upon ...

didn't your name used to be edgecrusher or something like that? I'm losing it >_<

I find the 'take my money' people who believe subs = quality to be a bit narrow minded at best. There are a lot of great F2P/B2P games out there that they are too stubborn to give an honest chance. In fact, some people are more willing to open their wallet greater on cosmetic items and stuff like that because there is not 'sub entitlement'.

I don't find that the sub barrier in WoW produced great and steady content in Cata, or in certain phases of the past. It definitely doesn't increase the quality of the community, as it has gone downhill greatly in my experiences in the past 4+ years. I don't really see the benefit of the sub like others do; especially in a game that has established a cash shop and charges for expansions. I think B2P + subs + cash shop is a bit overreaching; 2 of 3 is acceptable and I think Blizz could throw us all for a loop if the next xpac is free; and there is a single purchase for new players from now on.

I think Titan not being sub based is the only way forward. Subs in the current atmosphere is not just risky, but absurd imo. I think switching, as long as they can control the trolls, griefers, botters, exploiters, and gold sellers ... will net them huge market share, many willing to drop money in game on the store, and potentially on other products from the company. You want people to be your biggest fan. You want them to want to buy everything you've made. To go to your events for hundreds of dollars. To give you FREE word of mouth to all their friends and families. That is the best business move going forward as far as I can see.

We still have no clue anything about the game itself though :/

The number of imbeciles that have 15 bucks to throw on a game is much smaller than the number of imbeciles that have no money to throw on a game. Subscription makes the size smaller, obviously. But what determines the "level of community" the most is the way the game is designed. If it's designed like WoW is, past LFD and LFR, for people that want to go and play and don't care about "community", then people tend to be less polite, less patient and less everything. And LFD and LFR were the only solutions to keeping WoW alive, because these are times when people don't care or want to invest much time in anything. Especially in boring crap...

Then let's look at GW2 a litte. The developer took care of all the things that might fuel a retarded behavior. There is no ninja loot. There is no gathering conflict. There is no character inspect so you can't tell the other he's an idiot that sucks monkey cock. And so on and so on...

I agree completely. After picking up Rift again, I notice that the server/player community is less tolerant of trolls. The community as a whole seems to be more helpful of newer players too. There is still the typical jerk that spats off garbage, but its limited in the higher level chat channels. I still noticed players with short fuses in dungeons, but once those players leave (they usually drop after 1-2 wipes), the group becomes more friendly (and usually progresses quicker).
    What you "notice" has nothing to do with the big picture. In your limited experience you might have just got lucky and met fewer idiots. My experience is similar on WoW, I can't say it's a horrible community at all. Others seem to be less lucky, or maybe it's their own actions that play a role too...

Titan or whatever the new thing is called will not be subscription based because of one simple little thing: it's not working anymore. Their goal as a business is to make as much money as possible, and making an clever game that gets in tens of millions will be more profitable than making a subscription game that gets 2-3 million subscribers. And that is actually optimistic, I don't think a new subscription game will ever get that again.

I don't think they rebooted the Titan thing because of technological reasons, more then likely they've realized that the new game is not as exciting as it should be. Since it doesn't have a predecessor to suck in the suckers, like Diablo 3, they can't just let it be, it's their future right there...

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    The number of imbeciles that have 15 bucks to throw on a game is much smaller than the number of imbeciles that have no money to throw on a game
    Nothing factual in this statement as we don't do surveys of gaming personalities against yearly income. Unless your point was to insult poor people, then I don't know what you were even trying to do here.
    But what determines the "level of community" the most is the way the game is designed. If it's designed like WoW is, past LFD and LFR, for people that want to go and play and don't care about "community", then people tend to be less polite, less patient and less everything
    More made up stuff, no factual information to see here. The only thing that determines a community are the players and the tools they have to build one. Period. Anything to the contrary is placing blame and causality incorrectly.
    And LFD and LFR were the only solutions to keeping WoW alive
    Yes, it was just failing miserably when these features were introduced. Oh wait...nope...LFD launched during one of the highest times of WoW. And since the feature is only used to save games, why does every other MMO now have to have that feature on launch otherwise be seen as failing the players immediately? Possibly because it is largely desired...Shocker.

I don't even have the time to waste on the rest of this post. Needless to say it's a bunch of rambling nonsense with no grounding in facts of any kind. Sorta like a veiled WoW bash post with nothing else to add.
    BAD WOLF

It is not really surprising that Titan will not be subscription-based. This model is in extinction, WoW being one of the last titles to remain successfull keeping subs.

You can bet that Titan will have LOTS of microtransaction, though. Blizzard is already intending to put microtransactions in WoW anyway (just a matter of time). And Titan's revenue will probably match those of WoW with this model.

Quote Originally Posted by Madruga View Post
    It is not really surprising that Titan will not be subscription-based. This model is in extinction, WoW being one of the last titles to remain successfull keeping subs.

You can bet that Titan will have LOTS of microtransaction, though. Blizzard is already intending to put microtransactions in WoW anyway (just a matter of time). And Titan's revenue will probably match those of WoW with this model.
    Honestly I'm not expecting many microtransactions. Based on D3's RMAH, and Blizz's wanted SC2 map store - and now EQ Next's current route (yes, it's a different company, I know). I'm expecting the "Microtransactions" to be actually player-generated/user content that the player sells for real money.

Been saying that for a while now... and EQN already is showcasing that's going to be the future.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Honestly I'm not expecting many microtransactions. Based on D3's RMAH, and Blizz's wanted SC2 map store - and now EQ Next's current route (yes, it's a different company, I know). I'm expecting the "Microtransactions" to be actually player-generated/user content that the player sells for real money.

Been saying that for a while now... and EQN already is showcasing that's going to be the future.
    The RMAH has been a failure for them and a source of a ton of design problems in D3, the SC2 map store...we've still yet to see so I'm assuming there are some serious issues there, and SoE has their player studio in multiple games already (and those are still microtransactions/cash shop items).

I have zero doubts we'll see a traditional cash shop (because they're lucrative as fuck) though. They'll definitely toss in some additional way(s) to monetize the game, but a removing the traditional cash shop is nigh unthinkable.

This must be an old thread, because Blizz has already mentioned Titan is being put on hold until 2016.

Bobby Kotick and Vivendi have been negotiating the sale of Activision to itself, and when news of that got around to the Blizzard staff, the people who put together that company told Kotick they wanted out from any sort of control Activision would have have over Blizz, essentailly saying if Activsion goes, Blizz (i.e., the staff and management) would not under any circumstances be part of or owned/controlled by Activision. So, as part of that impasse many Blizz activities were put on hold, and Activision ramped up it's non-Blizz projects.

Titan won't see the light of day til Blizz emerges from under the collapsed Vivendi/Activision accord.

I wonder how many thoughts and ideas they'll steal from the EQ Next reveal?

Yes, serious question.
    Free-To-Play is the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakanonn View Post
    I wonder how many thoughts and ideas they'll steal from the EQ Next reveal?

Yes, serious question.
    Probably the same amount of things that EQN is using from other games. Im ready for EQN as much as the next guy but lets be honest, most of what they revealed is already in many other games. They added some new stuff and improved upon some other stuff.