Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why do people post in threads and not follow up?

I've never understood it. Why do people want to be part of a discussion community, but then go to a thread, barely skim the OP, read no other posts, give your opinion and never look back at the thread later? What's the point? Is it fun to do this? I'm not saying you need to read every post in a thread, but at least make an effort.

Or worse, just giving a 1-2 word answer to a question posted by the OP? Do people not want to participate? Why would you give an answer and not explain why you said what you said?

It just seems like there's no point in being part of a social community that centers around discussion when you don't want to discuss anything. "QFT" or "/thread" and comments like that are the worst offenders of all. Personally, I don't post in a thread unless I feel I have something constructive to add and I always return to check for responses for awhile.

It's the whole point of forums!

Because discussion isn't always meant to be with the OP, but also each other.

@1-2 Words: Because I'm lazy. There's three

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Because discussion isn't always meant to be with the OP, but also each other.
    Sometimes Im not interested in what the OP has brought up, but if someone else says something I respond to that point. I dont see why a discussion should only revolve around whatever is contained within the OP.

If you make this thread then never post into it I might chortle all week.

Just saying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes reading up on a thread with say 10 pages can be pretty annoying to read. it would just take too long. Sometimes people just want to make a witty response or try and troll someone. Sometimes it's a rude insult, or sincere about their thoughts. If the thread is over a page then I'm going to go to the last page. It's much less painful to read every single post. I may be a little lazy but I'm the poster you deserve!
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    If you make this thread then never post into it I might chortle all week.

Just saying.
    I seriously considered it, but you ruined that idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    Sometimes reading up on a thread with say 10 pages can be pretty annoying to read. it would just take too long. Sometimes people just want to make a witty response or try and troll someone. Sometimes it's a rude insult, or sincere about their thoughts. If the thread is over a page then I'm going to go to the last page. It's much less painful to read every single post. I may be a little lazy but I'm the poster you deserve!
    That's fine. I do that on long threads too, you can still wiggle your way into a discussion. Just read the last 2 pages of posts and see if somebody there makes you raaaaaage and respond :P

I don't like participating in threads that are several pages long because by then there have been discussions and points and considerations on every angle, and I can't be bothered to go through 10 pages of that, nor would I feel right posting without going through or at least skimming through it. It seems most threads these days (or at least when I see them) explode quickly, so I don't participate as much.

I realize this doesn't really answer the OP's question. People just want to express their opinion without bothering to inform themselves, most likely. I imagine people going to a forum, seeing an interesting thread title, typing out a few "hur de dur durs", and then forget about it with a satisfied grin.

Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    I seriously considered it, but you ruined that idea!
    I am known as the great ruiner of hopes and dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I don't like participating in threads that are several pages long because by then there have been discussions and points and considerations on every angle, and I can't be bothered to go through 10 pages of that, nor would I feel right posting without going through or at least skimming through it. It seems most threads these days (or at least when I see them) explode quickly, so I don't participate as much.
    I don't think there's any harm into reading the last pages and jumping in, but if you can't be bothered, that's fine too. But there's no point in posting at all if you do that.

I generally follow up on what I've posted. But when I don't it is usually when I've just spilled my 2 cents and see the same thing re-occurring over and over again.

For an example, I've participated quite a lot in the thread about the recent school schooting in America. After posting my opinion, going into a discussion with people who've quoted me and explaining a bit more about how I feel about the situation I feel that I've said what there is to say for me and I've done my part. I could continue (this thread is most likely over 100 pages long by now) repeating myself but eventually that seems a pointless effort. Besides, if people are really interested in what I've said they could always pm me with questions.

As for not following up the same thing applies really. Once I've posted my thoughts they're there for others to read and possibly think about. Not every post requires a follow up to be honest. Lastly, sometimes I don't follow up due to being busy. I don't sit at my computer the whole day and read MMO-C and wait for people to respond to my posts. If I see 10 new pages in a thread I often only skim through the next 2 pages to see if somebody responded to me and leave it at that.

Lastly, I personally don't see MMO-C as much as a discussion forum as a general forum where all kinds of things happen. Not every thread is a discussion and somethings don't last very long.

because you can't change someone's mind on the internet. you never have, you never will. i rarely follow up on my posts unless there is actually discussion to be had. most of the time if it's a discussion-style post, as opposed to an information-seeking post, i'll voice my opinion, someone will quote it, usually out of context, in a manner so as to initiate an argument. i'm not playing the "argue on the internet game", sorry.

Because it's fun to do.

I'm out. Peace
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I usually read the 1st page then the last 2. It always bugs me if I post in a 60 page thread and someone replies "This was already discussed on page 47. Lrn2read the thread SMH" So Usually on those I just post my opinion and then never look back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethes View Post
    I generally follow up on what I've posted. But when I don't it is usually when I've just spilled my 2 cents and see the same thing re-occurring over and over again.

For an example, I've participated quite a lot in the thread about the recent school schooting in America. After posting my opinion, going into a discussion with people who've quoted me and explaining a bit more about how I feel about the situation I feel that I've said what there is to say for me and I've done my part. I could continue (this thread is most likely over 100 pages long by now) repeating myself but eventually that seems a pointless effort. Besides, if people are really interested in what I've said they could always pm me with questions.

As for not following up the same thing applies really. Once I've posted my thoughts they're there for others to read and possibly think about. Not every post requires a follow up to be honest. Lastly, sometimes I don't follow up due to being busy. I don't sit at my computer the whole day and read MMO-C and wait for people to respond to my posts. If I see 10 new pages in a thread I often only skim through the next 2 pages to see if somebody responded to me and leave it at that.

Lastly, I personally don't see MMO-C as much as a discussion forum as a general forum where all kinds of things happen. Not every thread is a discussion and somethings don't last very long.
    You don't seem to be the kind of person that I'm referring to. Obviously we have limits. Some threads go out of control in post speed when we're off sleeping or at work. Can't always keep up, but you said you checked a couple pages for replies which is all that can be expected.

I use my subscribed threads function to quickly see where I've posted and if people have posted so it doesn't take all day to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssith View Post
    because you can't change someone's mind on the internet. you never have, you never will. i rarely follow up on my posts unless there is actually discussion to be had. most of the time if it's a discussion-style post, as opposed to an information-seeking post, i'll voice my opinion, someone will quote it, usually out of context, in a manner so as to initiate an argument. i'm not playing the "argue on the internet game", sorry.
    Then why post at all? You clearly don't like the very nature of discussion boards, so why even give it the time of day?

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 05:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Amsden View Post
    I usually read the 1st page then the last 2. It always bugs me if I post in a 60 page thread and someone replies "This was already discussed on page 47. Lrn2read the thread SMH" So Usually on those I just post my opinion and then never look back.
    Yeah, that's pretty lame that people would expect it. But the way I usually notice long threads working is that 2-4 people go at it for some pages really quickly, then they go to bed/work, then later on whole new people go at it. Sure, something may have been mentioned already, but it was a totally different group of people that actually read it. Some things DO need to get said multiple times.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think people should at least skim the first page before responding. It's kind of annoying when you are on page 10 or whatever, having a discussion/debate, and then there is a post that is almost identical to what what the first person to reply to the thread said, especially when similar posts keeps returning every page, despite the post already having been acknowledge/challenged by the end of Page 1.

For example, the "Should flying mounts be removed" thread. Very early in the thread, maybe 2-3 posts in, someone said "No one is stopping you from using ground mounts". The thread is currently 33 pages long, but if you removed every post that was basically a paraphrased version of that, or just quoted with /thread, the thread would be much shorter.

Also, those that don't read the OP, although some blame can sometimes go to the OP for a poor or misleading title choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people would rather avoid discussing certain things over the internet, but still want to voice their opinion, i.e. "be heard".

I do this myself sometimes, when it is a subject I know people easily become incensed about even in rl (rape, abortion, middle-east etc.). Seriously, I've seen where those threads go, so I just toss in my carefully worded opinion, then get the fuck out of dodge. In my defense, I try to always mention in the post that I won't stick around for discussion. :P
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Then why post at all? You clearly don't like the very nature of discussion boards, so why even give it the time of day?
    so. preferring to not get sucked into unwinnable arguments means i don't get an opinion?

You don't seem to be the kind of person that I'm referring to. Obviously we have limits. Some threads go out of control in post speed when we're off sleeping or at work. Can't always keep up, but you said you checked a couple pages for replies which is all that can be expected.
    I guess so, but it does mean I at some point stop caring about a thread and sometimes it is after I spilled my 2 cents. In a case like that it usually is just something for other to think about and not as much to respond to it.

As for people who just post bullshit or try to provoke things, I think that thats a lot more annoying than people leaving a thread after throwing in their opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do people want to be part of a discussion community, but then go to a thread, barely skim the OP, read no other posts, give your opinion and never look back at the thread later? What's the point? Is it fun to do this? I'm not saying you need to read every post in a thread, but at least make an effort.
    I've often wondered why the behavior you describe is so common here. Is it a consequence of the average age of members, the overall attitude of a crowd drawn to a gaming forum, or something entirely different? Maybe people are too accustomed to spamming Facebook and Twitter with disposable messages to engage in actual conversations. Beats me, but the laziness sure gets irritating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I'm usually only on the forums for 15~30 minutes a day so I read through the threads that interest me and respond to those I feel I might have something to add that may or may not have been already stated. (Don't read really long threads) So I don't do short or trolling answers, but there usually isn't a follow up to my posts since I am already off the forums by that time.