Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Everquest 2 made me believe in housing

I was never a big advocate to housing. I always said, yea it's ok, but why bother. True this was based on my experience with LOTRO. But getting bored of wow, i started playing EQ 2, hearing pretty nice things about it. And god damn... the housing there kicks ass. I swar half of the items you get and craft are things to put in your house.

It's strangely addicting! I can't explain but putting things and arranging them in my house has a certain feeling of accomplishment.

So whats your oppinion on EQ 2 housing? Do you know of a game that does it better?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by axell View Post
    I was never a big advocate to housing. I always said, yea it's ok, but why bother. True this was based on my experience with LOTRO. But getting bored of wow, i started playing EQ 2, hearing pretty nice things about it. And god damn... the housing there kicks ass. I swar half of the items you get and craft are things to put in your house.

It's strangely addicting! I can't explain but putting things and arranging them in my house has a certain feeling of accomplishment.

So whats your oppinion on EQ 2 housing? Do you know of a game that does it better?
    Don't really know about other games that does it better other than maybe the no longer existent SWG.
    Fyi, there are more stuff you can get from different quests and such to display. Finishing some collectibles (shinies on ground) can yield statues. Heirlooms can be turned into trophies, bosses drop a head to be used as trophies, most put into guild house. Just various things that can be obtained as can also be used as housing items, it's fun.
    Me and a few friend have a Guild House Tier 2. I made a "zoo" and we took all our statues and stuck it in.
    Spent hours just screwing around.

You should look at some of the Tier 3 guild housing. Some just look absolutely amazing. They're like the size of a city by the way.
    Guild housing are also multifunctional with utilities and functions that let you teleport, crafting benches, etc. They're really great.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Don't really know about other games that does it better other than maybe the no longer existent SWG.
    Fyi, there are more stuff you can get from different quests and such to display. Finishing some collectibles (shinies on ground) can yield statues. Heirlooms can be turned into trophies, bosses drop a head to be used as trophies, most put into guild house. Just various things that can be obtained as can also be used as housing items, it's fun.
    Me and a few friend have a Guild House Tier 2. I made a "zoo" and we took all our statues and stuck it in.
    Spent hours just screwing around.

You should look at some of the Tier 3 guild housing. Some just look absolutely amazing. They're like the size of a city by the way.
    Guild housing are also multifunctional with utilities and functions that let you teleport, crafting benches, etc. They're really great.
    Dear god......(about the housing thigs you said).I heard a lot of praise about SWG. Too bad i didn't hear about it when it as still active.

greed monger is a game you might like if you're into housing/sandbox mmos

still in development i think, but it's worth keeping an eye on

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    greed monger is a game you might like if you're into housing/sandbox mmos

still in development i think, but it's worth keeping an eye on
    Yea that game has a long time to go until release. Probably at least a year or 2.

I played EQ2 from launch to till Shadow Odyssey(which came out right about the same time as Wrath). Compared to other MMO's it's housing is simply the best. I couldn't believe some houses that I was in. The Guild Halls are also fantastic and the features are great. I'm sure a lot has changed since I've played (late 2008).

Houses are purely cosmetic but they did serve one important function - the removal of the broker fee (or it was significantly reduced) which made you run into peoples houses to buy the items directly from their little stash thing. Again they may have changed this in the last 4 years.

I'm sure you noticed that the city structure in EQ2 allows for housing. Instead of having 4 major cities like WoW does, they only have 1 major city for each faction. Qeynos and Freeport. Each part is divided into 4 parts (East, West, North and South) Again this may have changed I believe the cities have been revamped since I've played. Anyways this allowed for each city to have a main hub part (Qeynos Harbor/East Freeport) and the housing was spread out all over the other 3 sections of the city with trainers spread as well. Essentially EQ2's city system is much better for housing. When they added Guild Halls they were kind of just floating islands off of the newbie 10-20 areas (Antonica and Commonlands)

If WoW were to pull off housing (I'm neutral on the matter) I think they should put the houses in the non capital cities like Silvermoon/Darnassus. They are beautiful cities and are not occupied often. I've playing WoW for a long time and still can't find my way around Silvermoon, so if they revamped it slightly I wouldn't care. I think it would liven these cities up a bit and they of course could add a new profession like EQ2's carpenter who focuses mainly on house things.

TLDR: It could work but EQ2 has a better layout for it which is why it is successful. WoW does not exactly have the ideal layout.

Rift just introduced player housing of a sort with their latest expansion - though to call it a zone playground might be more appropriate. You have to purchase/make the different components and objects that go in, and some of the housing zones (each is an individual instance, bound to a specific player) have other buildings inside, but you have a lot of control over the items as it works more like a level environment editor than anything else.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are housing outside of Qeynos and Freeport. All the other 'starter' cities also have housing. They're generally smaller. For Guild Housing they only manage to Tier 1.

EQ2 housing is good, but IMO Rift does it far better.

Rift basically takes EQ2 housing, ads an actual UI for it to make customizing the stuff in it easier (rotating, scaling, moving across x/y/z axis) and they've put in a ton of different stuff to put in the house.

Dev trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iszkazbhi-c

Dev livestream showing off functionality and some early player created dimensions in beta: http://www.twitch.tv/trionworlds/b/336147095

I love housing, and all user generated content as a concept (and in practice). It's truly mind blowing how creative and dedicated some players are and the kinds of feats they can achieve when given even the most basic of tools.

It seems you need to pick up "The Sims" game :P

Asheron's Call had housing very early on but in their case they distributed it all over the world; of course their world was large enough to handle it. They did something similar in LOTRO (both are Turbine games). Still other than for a bit of fun I never found housing all that engrossing.... it just seemed another way to isolate yourself from the rest of the players
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post

Rift basically takes EQ2 housing, ads an actual UI for it to make customizing the stuff in it easier (rotating, scaling, moving across x/y/z axis) and they've put in a ton of different stuff to put in the house.

Dev livestream showing off functionality and some early player created dimensions in beta: http://www.twitch.tv/trionworlds/b/336147095

I love housing, and all user generated content as a concept (and in practice). It's truly mind blowing how creative and dedicated some players are and the kinds of feats they can achieve when given even the most basic of tools.
    Extra UI is so needed for EQ2. It was annoying at points trying to put some things up that sometimes you have to do it in a gimpy fashion.
    The zones in Rift seem to be bigger which is nice. Don't know about the Guild Housing (is there any? I don't keep up with Rift).

The advantage imho about eq 2 housing is it's age. Rift just introduced it and from what i saw it was ok.....but mosty a side thing for now. Since it's new it can't be that refined and i'm sure it doesn't have the amount of items eq has for it. Maybe in a year or 2, when more content for it is designed.

Since it's new it can't be that refined
    Absolutely wrong. From my experience in both, it's as polished, if not more so, than what you get in EQ2. Seriously, watch the dev livestream, keeping in mind that it's improved since then as they tweaked some things and improved functionality a bit from then until launch.

Trion don't half-ass content. When they launch features, they're competitive with similar features elsewhere in the market.

Absolutely wrong. From my experience in both, it's as polished, if not more so, than what you get in EQ2. Seriously, watch the dev livestream, keeping in mind that it's improved since then as they tweaked some things and improved functionality a bit from then until launch.

Trion don't half-ass content. When they launch features, they're competitive with similar features elsewhere in the market.
    I saw the livestream and indeed it's nice. Might pick up rift again sometime in the future.

I saw the livestream and indeed it's nice. Might pick up rift again sometime in the future.
    I'm biased, but I highly recommend it. Trion are absolutely amazing (they just put in cross-server grouping for dungeons/raids/BG's in a hotfix because that's how they roll) and it's well worth the money : )

I'm biased, but I highly recommend it. Trion are absolutely amazing (they just put in cross-server grouping for dungeons/raids/BG's in a hotfix because that's how they roll) and it's well worth the money : )
    I believe you,but now i'm too enthralled by EQ 2 all all it's grandeur and complexity to pick up another MMO . I'll probably try it again when i find a good deal on Storm Legion.
    Last edited by axell; 2013-01-10 at 12:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I just decided to get an All-Access pass since I play so much Planetside 2 and it renewed my interest in EQ2. I played in the Rise of Kunark era but decided to start fresh on a new server with a new class and am loving it so far. So much depth to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Erenax View Post
    Yeah I just decided to get an All-Access pass since I play so much Planetside 2 and it renewed my interest in EQ2. I played in the Rise of Kunark era but decided to start fresh on a new server with a new class and am loving it so far. So much depth to the game.
    It's depth is the thing that keeps me going. I finally found the MMO that makes me feel like i felt when starting up WoW for the very first time years ago.

Noooooooooooooooooo, all housing should be like UO.