Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post

And so far this thread is living up to my prediction. Horribly one-sided and hypocritical. Much like these forums. Everyone rails on Fox for being bias. But these forums are so obviously bias and it's considered OK. MSNBC is also obviously bias, as is the Huffington Post, and both are considered OK.
    and I am pretty sure a lot of people wont acknowledge that either, as its only "faux/fox" that is biased (that is sarcasm)

10+ Year Old Account
    When dealing in area's where homosexuals had a strong influence, such as the Bay area, I could see it being included in a "local history" type course. Mandating that the entire state involve courses beyond local history is, well, silly. Over-all someones sexuality shouldn't matter.

I mean most of our Founding Fathers were womanizing, cheating, alcoholics. Many of them fathered children out of wedlock. Some were, at one point or another, poor. And at least a couple owned slaves. None of which is generally taught in public school.

The public education system is in such a horrible state, full of misinformation and wrong information, that the addition of courses about gay history (over actually correcting what's already there) just speaks volumes of how much our government cares.
    Someone's sexuality shouldn't matter except in cases where there's legitimate historical value to bringing it up, just like for the civil rights movement. Harvey Milk's sexuality is relevant.

I don't think from the article that's what the law is about though. I got the sense it was saying that we can't just ignore important contributions from people like Alan Turing just because he was gay, and in the situations where the person's sexuality ended up having a major impact on history, it should be discussed. The law wasn't asking the schools to create a "gay history" course. It just said they shouldn't intentionally leave gay history out.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    This moron doesn't even understand what he's hating on... maybe if it were called the 'redistributive property,' he might have a case for outrage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand your republic party...instead of going for a more middle of the road view where it can hit both sides equally...it goes right off the road onto the hard shoulder trying to hit the broken down traffic :P

Algebra Liberal? No.

Now lets go to CA where "Gay History" became a legally required course for all public schools in 2011. I'd say that's pretty damn Liberal myself.

http://www.npr.org/2011/07/22/138504...-the-classroom

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_898745.html

But I'm willing to bet that most of the sheeple who post on these forums will either ignore it or defend it as being "necessary" for some unknown reason.

EDIT:
    And for reference a LOT of what you learn in Public Schools is WRONG. Half of it is a flat out lie. The other half, like the media, is bias and misleading.
    civil rights is liberal by definition. do you want to cut out all the black civil rights heroes while we're at it?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JonTargaryen View Post
    Claims Eric Bolling of Fox News (source). Because they teach the "distributive property".

You can't make things like this up.
    Fox News shouldn't be allowed to call itself news. They should be prohobited from broadcasting other than as comedy.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Indoctrination", yeah....just like all of education, job training, and Fox News...

Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    This moron doesn't even understand what he's hating on... maybe if it were called the 'redistributive property,' he might have a case for outrage.
    reminds me of Mike Hukabee when he claimed he didn't believe in evolution because he didn't think we came from monkeys. these goons don't even know what they don't believe in...

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    1+1 = 2.
    Not
    1+1 = One of us! One of us! One of us!
    Get it right. D:
    (Yes it's not the same math, but you get the idea, I think...)

Education should just be learning, not full of political crap shoved into it.
    Now that's funny! ^_^

Would probably be worth seeing the actual clip. There's a whole lot of stupid in here, but people who take the time to watch this will realize that he's attacking the use of the header "distribute the wealth" and not the distributive property itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Algebra Liberal? No.

Now lets go to CA where "Gay History" became a legally required course for all public schools in 2011. I'd say that's pretty damn Liberal myself.

But I'm willing to bet that most of the sheeple who post on these forums will either ignore it or defend it as being "necessary" for some unknown reason.
    Public schools are teaching children about discrimination? Say it isn't so!

10+ Year Old Account
    Fox News? Resorting to lowest-common-denominator fearmongering with little basis in reality?

Shocker.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

And so far this thread is living up to my prediction. Horribly one-sided and hypocritical. Much like these forums. Everyone rails on Fox for being bias. But these forums are so obviously bias and it's considered OK. MSNBC is also obviously bias, as is the Huffington Post, and both are considered OK.
    Considering the context of this story... how can you not blame them?

They day you show me MSNBC talking about "GoP Agendas" hidden within the name of a mathematical calculation, I'll listen. This not about being biased... this is beyond biased... this is about just being absurdly stupid/insane.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Considering the context of this story... how can you not blame them?

They day you show me MSNBC talking about "GoP Agendas" hidden within the name of a mathematical calculation, I'll listen. This not about being biased... this is beyond biased... this is about just being absurdly stupid/insane.
    when MSNBC talks about the straights trying to push their agenda on children by teaching about heterogeneous mixtures in chemistry, then we can talk

10+ Year Old Account
    I have this completely nuts, mind-blowing, idea. Why not fix the history books before we worry about the sexuality of each figure there-in?

I mean they're still teaching kids that Columbus discovered America. Something that has been a known inaccuracy for many years. However instead of correcting these mistakes they're more worried about "acknowledging" homosexuals?

I'd say that's either Liberal, stupid, or both. I'll let you make the call.

What exactly does that have to do with some schools specifically excluding historical figures because of their sexual orientation, or specifically excluding aspects of the modern civil rights movements when you are studying social movements of the 20th century? Perfect solution fallacies are erroneous.

Really, its about as controversial as people wanting the Civil Rights Movement to be a core part of social studies, since it is inherently a part of US history.

I have this completely nuts, mind-blowing, idea. Why not fix the history books before we worry about the sexuality of each figure there-in?

I mean they're still teaching kids that Columbus discovered America. Something that has been a known inaccuracy for many years.
    ...you haven't read a history book in a while, have you?

You remind me of those people who still believe people from other countries are comming over to America in droves just for our medical care. What makes you think that factoid is not in today's history books about the Vikings and America? That is in most of them now, but isn't really touched on at all... the reason that gets glossed over is, well, nothing ever came from the Vikings finding North America. They just kinda went there... did something (grabbed fruit?) and left... who knows. Columbus is the only one who ever actually DID something with his discovery that made a massive impact that's actually WORTH mentioning in the history books.

Algebra Liberal? No.

EDIT:
    And for reference a LOT of what you learn in Public Schools is WRONG. Half of it is a flat out lie. The other half, like the media, is bias and misleading.
    So I see nothing wrong with adding a segment about the history of homosexual behavior to a class. You implied it was its own required class but it is just an addition to another class.

Also, calling people who might not necessarily want to respond to you sheeple is rather silly. Finally, yes, a lot of what we learn in grade school is wrong, but it doesn't amount to half. Most of the stuff that's wrong involves history, which is often debated about because of the nature of the subject. We piece together what happened from lots of different sources, often with an incomplete picture, so it's not surprising that new evidence could be discovered to show something as wrong. Other things, though, are just blatantly wrong because of commonly passed down misconceptions being printed. A few things are taught wrong because the way they are taught still applies to anything we will do unless we're getting into more advanced fields that would require us to go learn that what we were taught is wrong anyway. An example is inertial planes and directly additive motion. We're taught that if we're on a platform that is moving at 10 MPH in one direction and we start moving on the platform at 3 MPH in that direction that we are moving at 13 MPH in that direction. For all everyday purposes to the vast majority of people, this is effectively true, but the reality is that we aren't moving at 13 MPH, we're moving at a speed very close to 13 MPH but not quite 13 MPH. 12.99999999999999999 or something, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    Fox News? Resorting to lowest-common-denominator fearmongering with little basis in reality?

Shocker.
    Stop playing into the left/right paradigm. MSNBC and CNN are no better. Infact, just recently a reporter came out and basically outed CNN for fabricating stories. You didn't hear that on the main stream media did you? So, it must not be true. They are thought machines and echo chambers for the propaganda arm of the government.

You think there is a diff. between Obama and Bush? Really? If so, you haven't done your homework and are part of the low information voter turnout.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightnail View Post
    You think there is a diff. between Obama and Bush? Really? If so, you haven't done your homework and are part of the low information voter turnout.
    There isn't much of a difference except for Obamacare, not declaring a war halfway across the world, subsidizing green energy instead of oil companies. Should there have been a bigger difference ? No.
    And honestly you don't need much information to know you don't want to vote for the parties with these nuts in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    EDIT:
    Care to elaborate on that? Some examples perhaps, of this half that is a "flat out lie"?