Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I trow away food that tastes horible.

Last thing i have trown away was mentol ice cream. Its simply not eateable. Looks like this:

I got it in a cheap pack of ice cream like 20% lemon 20% orange 20% cola 40% mentolo.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Providers are a part of the consumer culture. It is true that said culture has become excessive and wasteful, but I would rather have too much than too little.
    Yes... but that "too much" is now "Waaaaaaay too much" - and is wrong considering how many people in this world are starving.

How does a society that throws out half its food to landfills say they have too much, when people are starving? Boggles my mind...

I guarantee if that food just went to homeless shelters and food banks, it would take off a good % of crime in general.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Yes... but that "too much" is now "Waaaaaaay too much" - and is wrong considering how many people in this world are starving.

How does a society that throws out half its food to landfills say they have too much, when people are starving? Boggles my mind...

I guarantee if that food just went to homeless shelters and food banks, it would take off a good % of crime in general.
    As I said, baby steps. It took us ten millennia to get to the point where less than a billion have access to consumerism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    I trow away food that tastes horible.

Last thing i have trown away was mentol ice cream. Its simply not eateable. Looks like this:
    [IMG]http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/73/3f0d8d1b6a7345a88794a544d0834cff/l.jpg[IMG]

I got it in a cheap pack of ice cream like 20% lemon 20% orange 20% cola 40% mentolo.
    ...why did you get it then in the first place? :P

First thing that would've been an alarm bell is that color of it. That shade of neon-green/teal is hardly a color found in nature. :P

Secondly, I don't feel so bad about throwing that thing out - because, lets face it, chances are that wasn't real lemon and orange used in the creation of that. I'm betting the milk part is probably debatable too. :P

Deleted
    Supermarkets throw away good food all the time in this country.... and when a homeless person tries to take that food (out of the trash bin outside) they call the police and the homeless man gets arrested for theft.

the problem for most starving people in the world isn't having food for them but providing safe transportation for it.
    Proud member of the zero infraction club (lets see how long this can last =)

10+ Year Old Account
    ...why did you get it then in the first place? :P

First thing that would've been an alarm bell is that color of it. That shade of neon-green/teal is hardly a color found in nature. :P

Secondly, I don't feel so bad about throwing that thing out - because, lets face it, chances are that wasn't real lemon and orange used in the creation of that. I'm betting the milk part is probably debatable too. :P
    You didnt see what was inside. It was sold directly from a company (probaly not soo good products for a market). So i kinda took my chance (being 40 of those for only 2 euros).

Ok i say- cola and others were good. But on other side i didnt trow all money away. 1 of my friends who purchased this *secret* box only got mentolo ones.
    Well he didnt trow they away but he used them on some kids he didnt like . I fell sorry for them.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    This is ridiculous. So you're (people in this thread) saying we should be sending our scraps and old/moldy food to homeless and hungry people?

I didn't know about food banks back then, otherwise I would've suggested sending all that food to chairty/donations instead.
    It's not always just that simple. I used to work at a bakery, and we'd throw out a lot daily. Not for lack of trying, but after contacting just about every shelter and food bank in the area, none of them would come and get the stuff. They wanted it delivered to them or they wouldn't take it. And we're talking good expensive artisan breads here. So bags and bags of rolls and loaves were thrown in the dumpster daily. As employees we could take home whatever we wanted that was extra for free which was nice, but you can only eat so much bread a day, so there was always a lot left over.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

An average human (Even said people inn this thread who claims they don't throw much out) waste about 150G of food every day, I once read.

Now do some math on 150g and it dosen't suprise me. Haft to renember that a cucumber thats all bended/wierd might not sell. People want good looking food etc.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Yeah it is a disgrace, also dont forget one of the huge reasons, the almighty market.

Any excess of food produced (how can such notion even exist when a third the world is hungry?) is destroyed to keep prices at their levels, false scarcity.

In the 80's and early 90s you could go get for free, products from groceries and super markets that were on the last day of consumption limits, they would give it to you if you asked instead of throwing it away as most food will stay good up to a whole week after that date and some up to years (depending on what it is) they even used to donate it for the poor and homeless, nowadays they are all locked up tight for disposal.

I recall eating some garden home grown tomatoes at a friends grandparents place, those things were small, shriveled and ugly, but god damnit, they tasted much better than the tasteless crap we buy at grocery stores.

We are a messed up society arent we

Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    I recall eating some garden home grown tomatoes at a friends grandparents place, those things were small, shriveled and ugly, but god damnit, they tasted much better than the tasteless crap we buy at grocery stores.
    Hear hear, growing your own food is great! I have this stuff in the yard:

Tastes great! Problem is that my consumption can't keep up with their production and they got all old and too chewy :yuck:

Deleted
    Yeah it is a disgrace, also dont forget one of the huge reasons, the almighty market.

Any excess of food produced (how can such notion even exist when a third the world is hungry?) is destroyed to keep prices at their levels, false scarcity.

In the 80's and early 90s you could go get for free, products from groceries and super markets that were on the last day of consumption limits, they would give it to you if you asked instead of throwing it away as most food will stay good up to a whole week after that date and some up to years (depending on what it is) they even used to donate it for the poor and homeless, nowadays they are all locked up tight for disposal.

We are a messed up society arent we
    They have "food farms" where i live and they're all in doors these days. I'm pretty sure the big sellers put a whole fuck-lot of poison on it as well to keep the pests away. My gransparents also had their own guarden for veggies and it did indeed taste much better than store sold products. There is a "bio store" here as well but the prices on food is almost twice as high as a normal grocery store.

10+ Year Old Account
    My parents don't go shopping until the fridge/ cupboards are empty and they refuse to throw things away >.< Also i've seen what asda/ morrisons/ tesco throw away they could feed like 50 family's on the things that are 1 day out of date :S

If i become homeless I'm going scrounging around their bins at night :P

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Tastes great! Problem is that my consumption can't keep up with their production and they got all old and too chewy :yuck:
    Hahahah it is funny how when you are tired you read things differently, i read that you couldnt keep the production considering how much you eat them, and i was imagining this chibby blood elf devouring a huge plate of veggies :P
    My bad lol, the hazzards of having a fertile imagination and bad comprehension.

Why dont you eat them more often? if ya grow em! maaan if i had a garden i would devour the shit out of it. dirt included i guess?

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 10:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    My parents don't go shopping until the fridge/ cupboards are empty and they refuse to throw things away >.< Also i've seen what asda/ morrisons/ tesco throw away they could feed like 50 family's on the things that are 1 day out of date :S

If i become homeless I'm going scrounging around their bins at night :P
    There is a whole subculture of non homeless who do that already btw, dont... recall the name, but if it werent for the ewww and eeek factor it is actually a good idea, we are an extremely wasteful society.
    Always makes me laugh when i read "OMG TOO MUCH POPULATION TOO FEW RESOURCES", what about learning to use the ones we have properly before starting to consider genocide and forced pop control?
    Last edited by Kurioxan; 2013-01-13 at 10:18 PM.

Hahahah it is funny how when you are tired you read things differently, i read that you couldnt keep the production considering how much you eat them, and i was imagining this chibby blood elf devouring a huge plate of veggies :P
    Hahaha, oh you. But now I can't the image out of my head

Why dont you eat them more often? if ya grow em! maaan if i had a garden i would devour the shit out of it. dirt included i guess?
    They grow surprisingly well! But they're only really tasty while young, otherwise it's so thick and chewy and I get tired just from chewing them =/

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Hahaha, oh you. But now I can't the image out of my head

They grow surprisingly well! But they're only really tasty while young, otherwise it's so thick and chewy and I get tired just from chewing them =/
    Oh, its my fault is it, you are the one who put it there in the first place, so its only fitting you share it! :P
    Thick... and chewy? what exactly are you growing? i see the spinach and sweet yam, if i recall correctly neithet gets particularly thick :P
    Hmmm, i love veggies tbh...

Oddly enough i really like the phalic ones the most -.- zucchinis, carrots, cucumbers....
    Oh sush.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have noticed over the last few years more and more families do throw their food away, not even throwing much in the fridge for leftovers. I myself eat between 8-9000 calories of food a day... It goes against my beliefs to throw anything away

Oh, its my fault is it, you are the one who put it there in the first place, so its only fitting you share it! :P
    Thick... and chewy? what exactly are you growing? i see the spinach and sweet yam, if i recall correctly neithet gets particularly thick :P
    Hmmm, i love veggies tbh...
    They don't? Mine grows pretty thick and stiff after a few weeks. Maybe I got some mutant seeds =/

i really like the phalic ones the most
    This shall be my new signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Halaberiel View Post
    The UK's Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) blames the "staggering" new figures ...
    Like we should believe anything Mechanical Engineers say about food.