Deleted

Malice or Stupidity?

So today I was contemplating Hanlon's Razor and I found it rather intriguing.

Hanlon's Razor:

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

It rang true somewhat, as I have read and heard many questionable comments from people on various subjects that at first appear malicious, but may actually be due to ignorance/stupidity. For example; the overwhelming majority of racists are uneducated, while the educated are almost always more accepting of different cultures. So when an uneducated toothless man calls for the deportation of a persecuted, tortured and raped African mother of 2 small children; I wonder whether this person is truly just an evil man, or whether their actions are the result of their unfortunate ignorance and resulting lack of empathy.

Another example; we have governments that spend incredibly large amounts of money on developing efficient weapons of destruction and killing. While at the same time comparatively few resources are spent on projects that could advance the human race such as efficient energy and space exploration. Nuclear energy vs Nuclear weapons, Conquest of neighbouring country vs Conquest of the moon, Military tanks vs Flying cars, Fighter jets vs Passenger jets, and so on and so forth. Now is this misappropriation of resources due to malice or stupidity? Are humans inherently terrible beings or are we just ignorant and stupid?

-What are your thoughts on Hanlon's Razor?

10+ Year Old Account
    My corollary to to Hanlon's Razor. "Why can't it be both?"
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    My corollary to to Hanlon's Razor. "Why can't it be both?"
    My thoughts exactly. But yes, there is a grain of truth to it. Enlightenment leads to an overall better life.

Look people, another Wise Internet Kid who will show the clueless adults the road to the future.

People had paid with blood of their own children and theirs for not being 'persecuted, tortured and raped', and therefore have a clear opinion who is entitled to what. That has nothing to do with education.

But of course, being a freshman makes one the intellectual elite and a dislodged ruling class member automatically.
    Last edited by Tackhisis; 2013-01-16 at 12:39 AM.

Wow, that is a serious over-generalization of defense spending and it's implications of the human race...