Poll: Should parenting require a license or parenting courses?

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Dumbest question ever. Are we basically saying that you think there is a viable option where if a person doesn't do some parenting course, they're forced to get an abortion?

cool question

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsz View Post
    Dumbest question ever. Are we basically saying that you think there is a viable option where if a person doesn't do some parenting course, they're forced to get an abortion?

cool question
    No that is not what anyone is saying.

Deleted
    Mite aswell have license for every thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    No that is not what anyone is saying.
    So the other option is taking the child into foster care (arguably worse than even the most terrible of parents) and putting their mother in prison?

Hilarious thread is hilarious. To even think that this is ever an option ever is just ridiculous.

So the other option is taking the child into foster care (arguably worse than even the most terrible of parents) and putting their mother in prison?

Hilarious thread is hilarious. To even think that this is ever an option ever is just ridiculous.
    Logical Fallacies ahoy, batman!

Feel free to think what you like but you should bother to read through the thread first.

Also we already put bad parents in prison for child abuse and place children into foster care, the idea behind required courses/licensure is to prevent problems before they arise that are caused by lack of information and resources.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Logical Fallacies ahoy, batman!
    Actually none at all, thanks for the observation though tardy.

Infracted: Please do not insult other users
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-01-18 at 08:23 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Feel free to think what you like but you should bother to read through the thread first.

Also we already put bad parents in prison for child abuse and place children into foster care, the idea behind required courses/licensure is to prevent problems before they arise that are caused by lack of information and resources.
    Yes, committing a crime and not committing a crime are different. Minority Report inc.

Actually none at all, thanks for the observation though tardy.
    False Dilemma is a logical fallacy, but please, call me a 'tard' more, that proves your points.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would only support this action in say a space colony scenario where population needed to be regulated. As is we can support the population we have if we tried to there is no need for it. And for the most part the U.S. doesn't have a population issue; maybe these crazy ideas should be in places like China... oh wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerra View Post
    I would only support this action in say a space colony scenario where population needed to be regulated. As is we can support the population we have if we tried to there is no need for it. And for the most part the U.S. doesn't have a population issue; maybe these crazy ideas should be in places like China... oh wait.
    The planet as a whole does not have a population issue, however specific areas certainly do, but that is a failure of humans and our logistics more than the population-bearing ability of this planet and our current level of technology.

Deleted
    You don't need to attend a seminar to know that it's wrong to abuse children. What would this course actually teach parents that want to take an active, positive role in bring up their child, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    You don't need to attend a seminar to know that it's wrong to abuse children. What would this course actually teach parents that want to take an active, positive role in bring up their child, exactly?
    Well, a couple of things. For one, there are different types of abuse and different degrees of abuse. Even the most "obvious" type of abuse is not accepted by everyone. For example, some people still adhere to the idea of "spare the rod, spoil the child", although it is much less common than was even 10 or 20 years ago. You would think that most people would know by now that beating your kid is wrong; however, depending on the region and the demographic, that is not necessarily the case.

Then there is the sort of damage that occurs by accident. It is not necessarily the parents' fault that they did not know that x practice is unsafe or causes psychological harm; this can range from how you position your child in a crib to proper nutrition habits to how to deal with the stresses of parenthood.

Many of these things could easily be addressed with a little education or training.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    Pay people to become sterylized. That way only the people who really care about becoming parents are going to become them, and they will be more likely to care properly for their children.

Yes I'm generalizing but Its late and I can't think very much at the moment.
    But how much money would they have to offer for people to get that? And I'm not sure how many people would want to become eunuchs just for a bit of cash.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Maybe not licencing. But it needs to be supervised much better then it is now. Children need to go to health checks twice a year and be examined for physical or psycologic abuse. Parents should be required to visit seminars at around age 1, 2, 5, 10, etc and get advice. If the parents don't comply they should lose child support/welfare/get fined.

If the services find that a child is neglected the parents need to be fined and eventually get their kids removed. This is a civil way to ensure kids don't get raised to be criminals or worse.

Deleted
    I've got mixed feelings about this. I hate how so many children seem to end up like what you said, but I'm not sure if we should let the government decide. When you hear stories about children being abused, then why the heck did the parents want children? If they didn't want a child, then surely giving the baby up for adoption is better than keeping them and eventually committing child abuse?

People have mentioned a free but mandatory parenting lesson, and I have to say this is a great idea.

Deleted
    I don't think there should be a license but I do think that there should be more education in schools and ante-natal classes that cover relevant and up to date issues. In the UK we have health visitors that check babies regularly upto the age of 5 they're then transferred to school nurses. I'm working with them at the moment for my nursing training and we visit the homes and they visit GP clinics, parents can ring the health visitors to get advice regarding any issues they could have. Is there something like this in America?

Something like this will never happen, even though I think it should. I know licensure won't happen, or at least not in the near future. I do think at least classes would help.

My little sister is a slut and popped a kid out when she was just barely over 18. She's a terrible 'parent' and daddy is a schizophrenic, and is no longer in the picture anymore. What does little sister do? Gets knocked up again by some 30 something year old still living with his parents. Some people lack the mental capacity to be good parents, and should be forbidden from having children, as these children will grow up to be just as clueless as the parents. As the parents are clueless, and the kids probably will be too, it's a drain on society as a whole. I'm seriously hoping my sister messes up and goes to prison so my parents can obtain custody without a huge legal battle. It's the only chance my niece and soon to be nephew have of being something.

There should be more selective breeding.. Too many people are having kids, too many are idiots. Start breeding for the future and expansion of humanity instead of just because you want a kid. If you have some significant intelligence, combine that with someone else who will compliment your genes and produce something worthwhile.

One the same coin, breed for health, humans are so unhealthy I am pretty sure much of it is to do with the lack of awareness when breeding, heart conditions get passed on, as do other conditions, and if two ppl have the same condition in their lineage it only causes it to be worse in the future generations.

I know a lot of ppl will disagree here. But I think in a logical point of view this would be the right thing to do in order for humanity to progress faster in regards to health and intelligence.

And yes, this is one of the reasons I will not produce, my family has a line of heart problems that are inherited, and I do not posses the necessary level of intelligence to produce a worthwhile being. That and there is too many friggin people already.