Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    He's the funniest correspondent on the show. The moment he steps on camera, even before he says anything, I know it's going to be good.

I love John Oliver.
    Him and Aasif Mandvi are the only decent corresponents on there, ever since Colbert and Carell (probably spelled that wrong too) left. I absolutely can't stand Samantha Bee, and Olivia Munn was horrible too. Better than Bee, but that's not saying much. Rob Corrdry and Mo Rocca were good too.

For the people who say he is terribly biased: On last nights daily Show Jon Steward stated how the president's backdrop of you children at the conference where he announced the gun violence actions/recommendations was exploitative and manipulative.

Compared to how Rush Limbaugh expressed his displeasure, by acting like a baby and crying "I dont want to die," its actually a rational argument against what the president did.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not really surprised that they're the most trusted. They can cross party lines easily because no one is taking them seriously. That's the power of comedy, you can talk about uncomfortable things, but it's all okay in the end cause it's just a joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Him and Aasif Mandvi are the only decent corresponents on there, ever since Colbert and Carell (probably spelled that wrong too) left. I absolutely can't stand Samantha Bee, and Olivia Munn was horrible too. Better than Bee, but that's not saying much. Rob Corrdry and Mo Rocca were good too.
    I thought Wyatt Cenac was really good, but he's gone too now.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    i miss wyatt

10+ Year Old Account
    kilborn was the best
    Hi

i actually wouldn't call Jon Stewart liberal/leftist, he is biased against current right wing, but that just makes him sane. Colbert is more on left, but still not far.

15+ Year Old Account
    Today's daily show was amazing.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I thought Wyatt Cenac was really good, but he's gone too now.
    Wyatt Cenac was good too, and I did like the Killborn "era" of the Daily Show when it first came out. Brian Unger was awesome, and I still love watching him on H2 history channel. Sad to see the good ones go, and Samantha Bee still there... Or did they finally get rid of her?

And to stay a bit on topic: I watch both shows. They make the news tolerable because they talk about what is going on in the politics and other areas, instead of beating dead horses to death (mostly all the mass shootings that every other "news" organization goes on and on and on and on about). Unfortunately, my parents watch Fox News, and actually believe that they are "fair and balanced" and not biased in any way. If I want other news, I will watch my "local" stations.

10+ Year Old Account
    You always require multiple sources to attempt to garner the truth.

For TV, I watch (amongst other things) BBC, Al-Jazeera, Russia Today.

Online, LiveLeak is a good source of uncensored raw footage of events going on in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    I'm not really surprised that they're the most trusted. They can cross party lines easily because no one is taking them seriously. That's the power of comedy, you can talk about uncomfortable things, but it's all okay in the end cause it's just a joke.
    Your wrong in that people don't take them seriously...

Both shows are ridiculous simple in their explantion while explaining the stupidly of what people (politicians) say.

Their shows are fun and you learn stuff about the world because it is simple (which is just removing the BS). The whole Super pact thing is the best example of why both shows are brilliant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    People want news with something extra added on to it, not just plain information to interpret on their own. To give it flavor they add some of their own bias to it.
    Maybe in your country, but not in mine.

Over here it's just plain information. And I think that's best because then you have to make your own interpretation, instead of being manipulated by whoever is talking about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    I think that's best because then you have to make your own interpretation, instead of being manipulated by whoever is talking about it.
    Thank you, i was just about to post something along these lines but you beat me to it. It's a shame that most news broadcasts no longer give unbiased information in the US. Hell, I hate it even when the local news anchors give some stupid commentary after a news report.

Then again, you have to consider that if a person's ideals and biases can be swayed by something as simple as a news anchor on the news, then those people hardly had a train of thought that would be considered a political view to begin with IMO.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

15+ Year Old Account
    Every news station in the US has some kind of bias at this point. Even the ones that aren't bias towards the right or the left have an "American" bias. In general, Americans don't like to hear about things like US troops or drone/missile strikes killing innocents in other countries. It's "unAmerican" and tended to cause ratings and viewership to drop. There are other things that are "unAmerican" or unpatriotic to report on the news, but you get the idea.

The sad part is, there are many who are convinced America can do no wrong, and that anyone and everyone who lives in one of those "commie terrorist nations" is guilty by default.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    I do not believe that. I believe you merely think that's how it always been because you were brought up in a generation who thinks exactly like that, and only remember select pieces of history highlighted in the textbooks - not every company's individual history as a whole (which even I'll admit is really impossible to know every company...) There's a reason those hundreds of thousands of companies didn't make the history books . :P

I also do not believe they're moving towards the "Service first" sector. Outsourcing has clearly shown this is not the case. Trust me, I WISH you were right! I just don't think that's the way they're going. Smaller stores/companies are, but not the big mega corps. Mega-corps are not trying to out "quality" the competition, they're simply trying to out "price" their competition.
    As bad as today's mega-corps are, they're still nowhere near as bad as Rockefeller and his ilk were. Our economy still functions, even if it's neck-deep in shit, and it's starting to pick itself back up bit by bit.

As far as the topic at hand, Jon and Steven are good sources of news and a decent source of laughs while you're at it--and by watching both programs, you can get the POV of both the left and right in a format that people in the middle and the other side of the fence can digest (though they behave like wild-eyed radicals for laughs, the actual content is fairly moderate/centrist as are their talking points between jokes), and for better or worse, I see fact-checkers call out MSNBC and Fox a whole lot more often than Stewart and Colbert combined. They're intentional parodies of those channels' crazier pundits.

If you want news with little bias, my advice is to hit up BBC (which, while some bias is present, is pretty vanilla when it pops up) or the AP itself.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it amusing for any of them to be described as left wing.

American politics doesn't have a leftwing mainstream representative, it's all various degrees of the right.

Anyone who also thinks Stewart is a Democrat shill needs to look back over the last 6 months, heck just look to the debacle over the mentioning of God and the sham vote at the Democratic convention. Then there was the way he slammed him constantly for the piss poor first debate (and still does) The problem is not that Stewart has a bias in favour of either party, it's the people with a bias to one side or the other that can only remember the bad stuff, it's a victim mentality that has gripped certain circles in American politics.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Maybe in your country, but not in mine.

Over here it's just plain information. And I think that's best because then you have to make your own interpretation, instead of being manipulated by whoever is talking about it.
    What magic land is this where people are completely impartial?

10+ Year Old Account
    Throughout history it has often been the artists that showed the truth. Everyone else is too concerned with money, conformity, and power -- or just plum dumb.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    that is true they benefit greatly from being comedians