Poll: Is It Cowardly to Walk Away from a Fight?

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Not only is it not cowardly to walk away, its also the most intelligent option as it:

1. In the short term, saves yourself from injury.

2. Gives you the opportunity to remember their faces, catch one of them when they are alone and not so "tough" and break their f**ing legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post
    How is it possible to answer this without some other randommer calling you a liar and keyboard warrior etc.. sort of tricky ground.

I have been in various situations with the same numbers (well, me and a friend vs 8.) and it ended up with me needing half my tooth replacing after a nasty headbutt. but I didnt back down then, and I dont back down now. I was raised with a kind of 'Never start anything.. but if it gets to the point where you have to throw down, make them regret it.' attitude.

I dont think of others as cowardly for running, not atall, fight or flight is a very real thing and people have different reactions when under pressured situations, I am simply fight. I dont judge others for flight. just as id hope nobody would brand ME a thug for my reaction.

Furthermore whilst I would never advise doing this, I have been threatened with blades before (only smaller swiss type) and simply said 'go on then' most kids nowadays use fear and intimidation and wouldnt dream of following through, but as I said, poor advice, all it takes is one mal adjusted cretin to break that curve and its game over. if you are threatened with a weapon, you SHOULD comply. hand over whatever they want, and leave. but if you choose to stay in that situation, hit hard and with purpose. i.e don't just disarm them. flat out incapacitate them.
    Whilst I agree that "fight or flight" are natural responses induced by fear to act under pressure, in this specific case, I would say that logic and reason play an even more vital part of the decision. Being outnumbered by people out to hurt you, and the fact that we do not know anything about their physique or whether or not they carry weaponry of some sort, the basic result will most likely include some injury on your part: Meaning hospital, dental bills, chronic pains, stiches or even fatal injuries or brain damage. Furthermore, should you be unlucky with a punch, you might end up on a murder trial. When all these scenarios can be severely reduced by simply legging it, the choice is no longer only a case of adrenaline-fear-induced, spontaneous reactions like "flight or fight", but also a matter of choosing very wisely.

I do not brand you a "thug", but I certainly question the decision considering the basic odds. On the same note, I definitively couldn't care less if anyone branded me a coward. I've had enough stitches already.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post
    How is it possible to answer this without some other randommer calling you a liar and keyboard warrior etc.. sort of tricky ground.

I have been in various situations with the same numbers (well, me and a friend vs 8.) and it ended up with me needing half my tooth replacing after a nasty headbutt. but I didnt back down then, and I dont back down now. I was raised with a kind of 'Never start anything.. but if it gets to the point where you have to throw down, make them regret it.' attitude.

I dont think of others as cowardly for running, not atall, fight or flight is a very real thing and people have different reactions when under pressured situations, I am simply fight. I dont judge others for flight. just as id hope nobody would brand ME a thug for my reaction.

Furthermore whilst I would never advise doing this, I have been threatened with blades before (only smaller swiss type) and simply said 'go on then' most kids nowadays use fear and intimidation and wouldnt dream of following through, but as I said, poor advice, all it takes is one mal adjusted cretin to break that curve and its game over. if you are threatened with a weapon, you SHOULD comply. hand over whatever they want, and leave. but if you choose to stay in that situation, hit hard and with purpose. i.e don't just disarm them. flat out incapacitate them.

Most people dont know how to fight. And have never been in a fight, or even been hit.
    It comes as a shock the first few times, even with adrenaline, its still disorienting. Unless you've have experience or training, you are likely to get the shit kicked out of you.
    So most people should run.
    Even if you are trained, and know how to fight, it just takes one lucky (unlucky!) shot to take you out, its best to avoid fighting if you can.

That said, I think more people should stand their ground, individually its tricky, but on a society level we need to stand up for ourselves and get back the idea that being a good person does not mean weak.

Personally I'm unlikley to run, I would prefer to try to diffuse the situation, but I'm willing to stand my ground, I know the risks and I accept them. But the choice is down to the individual.

Also you may not have a choice. One martial arts instructor I had said that it does not matter how fast you can run, it matters how fast you girlfriend/wife can run in high heels! Sometimes you cant just run.
    Last edited by mmoc4e3ce29075; 2013-01-22 at 12:53 PM.

Deleted
    Is it cowardice? No. Its self preservation instinct. Wchich im totally lacking So even if i would go down - i would go down kicking. And no, no such thing as "clean fight" 5v1 - one of things i was learned long time ago is to make maximum damage with minimum effort- so kick straight in knees, stab in eyes, bite, scratch etc. Win first, explain later. Would i be injured- of course. Would i loose- thats not so obvious. Ive got my share of fights few vs 1 and usually when first one go down with broken knee others are not so eager to fight anymore. Besides. Everyone who attacks 160cm heigh girl deserves to get hurt

10+ Year Old Account
    Walk away if you can. If they proceed to hound you, lay the biggest one out with a sucker punch, the rest will likely back down. But, you only get one shot at that, if you fail to hit the guy or don't do any real damage, you're fucked.
    Last edited by Fahrenheit; 2013-01-22 at 01:18 PM.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

If escape is possible, do it. The longer you stay under the threat of being assaulted, the less likely you'll be able to get out of there. The chances of being injured are greater as well. Though it's tempting to stand your ground and open a can of whoop ass on multiple attackers, reality is nothing like the movies. Most likely, people are armed with some type of weapon and may bring in even more attackers. Sometimes, cowards do survive.

Deleted
    lol no. and I don't understand why anyone would.

best case scenario you would probably still get injured (broken bone) or lose a tooth.
    (I like my face the way it is and I prefer to not have a cast for 6 weeks.)

worst case scenario you end up dead (happens quite regularly) or in jail for manslaughter.

And what do you gain from a "win" or even engagin them? Bragging rights? I'd never fight anyone if I am not absolutely forced to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... i don't think is cowardly, in my case, i would try to ignore them, but if they keep doing that..., i would start talking about laws they don't know and give them a tons of reasons why they could go to jail even if that means i have to... well... ¨create a new law for the moment¨... is not like they will notice that :P

Deleted
    Depends. I would probably try to walk away, since I'm a person who's "very good" at controlling my anger and I usually tend to ignore stupid people, like even if it's a person that's friendly but drunk, I ignore them because they'll act stupid. I simply can't be arsed with people in general that think that they are someone or people that try to do things because of peer-preasure (which is probably the case in a situation where 4-5 people walk up to you and try to act though, most of them, if not all of them actually don't want to but they do it to seem cool infrot of their friends).

Not too long ago me and 2 friends were out walking in the city, we walked past 2 dudes one of them (lets say guy1) very obviously tried to walk into me, I dodged and then glanced over my shoulder at him, guy1 did the same at me and turned around starting to pick a fight, with all 3 of us. Guy2 (guy1's buddy) actually told his buddy that he should back off and that they should just go, weather or not it was because his friend acted like an ass, and I somehow admire when people have the bravery to look past their ego and be smart for a change and walk away in situations like these.

Even walking away in a 1v1, I can't view as cowardly but only as a smart thing to do. People who let their ego's get in the way act like idiots over nothing and people don't even realise that they're acting like idiots most of the time.

From my experience you can usually talk yourself out of most situations, act respectfully but don't be a pussy, if you are too cocky you well get nabed and if you come off as a pussy they will probably kick your ass as well. Sometimes walking away just won't do it though and I'd rather throw the first punch then the other way around. So it depends, being able read a persons intentions is pretty nifty, but if I felt like I had no options I'd throw a swift punch and then run like the wind.

Havn't really had any troubles like that since my teenage years though tbh. Been in one fight over the last 4 years, 3 years ago or so. But that was two grown ass men, who had too much to drink.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-01-22 at 01:28 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gend View Post
    lol no. and I don't understand why anyone would.
    Well - there is a risk that if You will simply walk away they will assume you are an easy target and keep bullying You in future. Once a doormate always a doormate sadly. When you stand up there is a really big chance they will re-think bullying You.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Why would anyone step down to the degenerates level?
    So that the next day they don't do the same?

I once experienced something similar, I was fortunate to have a stick around i could grab.

After 1 hit in front of the entire school no one messed with me again, EVER.

ps. If you can't handle the heat, don't act... I could care less if I end up getting a beating that day. but 99% of the time they only mess with you because they are certain you won't react.

pps. there is always a slim chance things escalate and some one end up stabbed or something, so act at you own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Why would anyone step down to the degenerates level?
    Because if were talking about the UK, the little ankle bitters around here carry knifes for "self defence"

And if were talking about these types of late teens, and your on your own, you've be fucking lucky to get away without a scratch weather you fight them or not,

One to One or Two to one or the above, may be a different scenario, but 4 or 5, I'd generally walk away, but keep two eyes in the back of my head

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne View Post
    Well - there is a risk that if You will simply walk away they will assume you are an easy target and keep bullying You in future. Once a doormate always a doormate sadly. When you stand up there is a really big chance they will re-think bullying You.
    I guess if you live in a terrible area that's true. I figured this wasn't supposed to be a regular scenario but more of a one time thing.

If it was regular I would avoid the afflicted part of town or work on legal actions (restraining order) against them.

Moving away is an option too. This may sound bad but would you want your kids to grow up there? I wouldn't. So why not move away sooner than later.

Oh and if this was a school scenario I'd get teachers/adults involved. If anything even remotely physical happened at my old school youd get kicked out immediately.
    Last edited by mmocb100f50513; 2013-01-22 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tlacoatl View Post
    Most people dont know how to fight. And have never been in a fight, or even been hit.
    It comes as a shock the first few times, even with adrenaline, its still disorienting. Unless you've have experience or training, you are likely to get the shit kicked out of you.
    So most people should run.
    Even if you are trained, and know how to fight, it just takes one lucky (unlucky!) shot to take you out, its best to avoid fighting if you can.

That said, I think more people should stand their ground, individually its tricky, but on a society level we need to stand up for ourselves and get back the idea that being a good person does not mean weak.

Personally I'm unlikley to run, I would prefer to try to diffuse the situation, but I'm willing to stand my ground, I know the risks and I accept them. But the choice is down to the individual.

Also you may not have a choice. One martial arts instructor I had said that it does not matter how fast you can run, it matters how fast you girlfriend/wife can run in high heels! Sometimes you cant just run.
    As I said in my post It is not weak to run, not would I not advise it, I didnt for one second think my way was 'best' or infact correct, the smart thing and the thing I will tell my daughter is to always walk away (If possible.) with the added caveat of what I said before about making them regret it if you are backed into a corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwaidan View Post
    Whilst I agree that "fight or flight" are natural responses induced by fear to act under pressure, in this specific case, I would say that logic and reason play an even more vital part of the decision. Being outnumbered by people out to hurt you, and the fact that we do not know anything about their physique or whether or not they carry weaponry of some sort, the basic result will most likely include some injury on your part: Meaning hospital, dental bills, chronic pains, stiches or even fatal injuries or brain damage. Furthermore, should you be unlucky with a punch, you might end up on a murder trial. When all these scenarios can be severely reduced by simply legging it, the choice is no longer only a case of adrenaline-fear-induced, spontaneous reactions like "flight or fight", but also a matter of choosing very wisely.

I do not brand you a "thug", but I certainly question the decision considering the basic odds. On the same note, I definitively couldn't care less if anyone branded me a coward. I've had enough stitches already.
    Again, I understand completely what you are saying, but for me, Its stubborn pride. I hate that kind of youth culture, I hate it. I am a parent and I do not want my daughter to be raised in a world like this, its somewhat of a 'be the change you wish to see in the world' kind of thing in my head. the world is a mean and nasty place. but the one thing worse then that are the people who sit on the fence and watch as bad things happen, afraid to stand up and act when something bad is happening. I have stopped shoplifters, I have helped a victim of domestic abuse, and I like to think I am becoming that person. Im not a particularly tough guy, but I will gladly get myself hurt, or injured standing up for what I believe in. it works for me as a person. but as I said once again, people are different, and nobody should think less of anybody for leaving the scene asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Khronius View Post
    I like your attitude. That's the correct attitude. However, most people aren't capable of such feats and they should indeed just keep walking.

However, your style isn't really healthy for you. The risk is not always about just losing a tooth, it only takes once to lose a liver and you're done.
    Exactly, It isnt a smart choice, It's stubborn pride, anyone who would relish the idea/thought of it, clearly has no true concept of it. It's not even just the potential damage to yourself, lets say you hit one. he falls down, bangs his head on the curb.. he dies. thats it. your life. over. sure, you can plead self defence, you may even get off, but you will have decimated his whole family. and to some extent your own by putting them through it.

Deleted
    Its very situational. I've been in a position where I was ganged by 3 people on a train station trying to nick my ipod years ago, I had been drinking, so i turned around and smacked the biggest one and the other 2 ran off!

But, I have been in a position where I have been massively outnumbered, and just carried on walking.

I think the thing I'm trying to say is, you will be the bigger man/woman for walking away and not getting involved (normally just to appease their boredom), but if you are cornered and have no where to go, pick out the biggest, loudest one, and get in there quick - 9/10 the others will see the "leader" on the floor, and leave you be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tbh, if it was 1v5 your best chance is to run, but if it was me i would run if the numbers where against me. But if it was 1v1 the smartest thing would to be the bigger man and walk away, but being the idiot i am i would probably fight if the odds where decent. Damn testosterone flowing like a river in my veins...

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Probally flash my concealed firearm and remind them that they are fucking with a servicemember.

If that didn't get them to part my way, id thrash them continuously untill they got the point
    He. Hehe. Only took 11 posts for an Internet Tough Guy to appear. We are nearing record here.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Deleted
    5v1 is a bad situation to begin with. If it would be absolute necessary to confront them i would do my best and try to hit soft points. Quick blows to throat, eyes etc. to incapacitate them. And i would look anything makeshift weapon that i could use.

I do have some martial arts training but even dumbest person on planet knows 5v1 is something you run away.

As Ron White once said, "I didn't know how many of em it woulda took to whoop my ass.... but I knew how many they were gonna use.

I'd walk away, report em to the cops, and avoid that path again. If I had to walk that way again, I'd pack heat.

---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 04:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Is it cowardly? Yes. Absolutely. No question about it.
    Is it wrong? Sometimes... Yes. Other times... No.

Cowardice =/= wrong.

In my case, I usually stand my ground. Not internet tough guy, here; just an ordinary person who's seen a lot of violence. Am I afraid? Usually... Very. One of them might have a weapon. But in most cases, they're not looking for a fight. What they're looking for is you running away.

You don't have to be a boxer to beat them off it. Usually, these kids are more afraid of you than you are of them, and the mere act of standing your ground will make them more frightened. I once had a group of around thirty of those kids hiding behind a fence because I stood my ground. None of them were willing to face me, not even after provocation from my part.

Why I stand my ground? Because of my personal history with violence. Not standing my ground is much more damaging to me than facing them. It results in tremors, anxiety attacks and other nasty things. So it's not because of bravery that I am willing to face them.
    No, it's really not cowardly to walk away from a fight that's not fair. And yes, you are pretending to be an internet tought guy. Not sure what band of travelling pussies is scared of just you, but where I come from, a teen can put another guy in a hospital pretty easy. I don't play those kind of odds for horseshit like honor. You don't seem to have a firm grasp of the reality of the danger of being jumped by 4-5 guys.