Poll: Are you an Organ donor?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Gay people have an extremely high risk of being infected with hiv compared to non gays.

Its some stupidly high number like 10 000x higher and it ends up just being too much work to screen so they usually totally deny it.
    It's total and utter bollocks though, by this definition every heterosexual having anal sex should be counted out as well. Which doesn't happen. Because the risk lies in anal sex, not "being gay". FYI, at least over here they decline lesbians as well. There's absolutely no consistency or logic whatsoever.

Deleted
    Gay people have an extremely high risk of being infected with hiv compared to non gays.

Its some stupidly high number like 10 000x higher and it ends up just being too much work to screen so they usually totally deny it.
    No. It's true that the risk is significantly higher but not nearly to this magnitude. Having your sexuality instead of your sexual behaviour (number of partners, usage of protection, etc) determine if you can donate doesn't make sense at all if the purpose is to avoid HIV, it's just discrimination.

I went to give blood recently, and they had some rediculous question about "have you ever had gay sex since 1980". I'm not sure if it was 1980 or 1980's or 1970's, but in any case it's about 30 years ago. So if you had gay sex once back than, you're not permitted to give blood now.
    If you're wondering, I was allowed to give blood, but I just wish more people could.

I'm not an organ donor though, my wife maintains all my possessions and she doesn't believe in it, so ... she owns it and won't give it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tayona View Post
    Yeah, isnt that just halarious. Arent you more likely to get HIV from a dentist? Or is that some Urban Legend?
    The tattoo/piercings thing isn't for HIV, it's for hepatitis, especially C, which is scarily easy to transmit if the tools aren't sterilized properly.

10+ Year Old Account

It's actully illegal for a gay person to donate.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have donated blood before. I volunteer, makes me feel good about myself.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

No it isn't. It's like 50 times or so higher. Your 10,000 times higher is just an absurd figure. The prevalence of HIV in adults of the United States is 0.6%; 10,000 that number is 6,000%.

For reference it's 0.2% for the general population in the United kingdom and the prevalence amongst gay/bisexual men is about 5%.

No. Why? Because I don't want to be simple as that. Giving wouldn't make me feel good, it would just piss me off.
    X

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drekker17 View Post
    No. Why? Because I don't want to be simple as that. Giving wouldn't make me feel good, it would just piss me off.
    If we are talking about organ donations, then no you wouldn't feel anything because you would be dead.

once I'm dead, I don't have any use for them at that point anyway, that'd just be selfish.

Though now I get to be paranoid for the rest of my days from that "ways to die" TV show that showed that person who was conscious for the operation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

15+ Year Old Account
    US here, organ donor and regularly give blood.

As far as the huge discussion about gay discrimination, it is a lifestyle choice that greatly increases the risk of the person being infected with STD's... THAT SAID in this day and age we have proper ways of testing for all of those diseases. In the US, as far as I know, your sexual orientation does not determine your eligibility, but there are lots of other factors that may cause them to turn you away at the door, and even then, they take 5 additional test tubes of blood plus the pint they've already taken, so the red cross is very thorough about making sure the blood they collect is clean.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    I've been a regular blood and blood plasma donor for some 14 years now, since around my 18th birthday. I'm going to become an organ donor too, because fuck it what happens to my body after I die. Either it decays slowly, or it gets a better use by helping some poor soul live longer.
    Last edited by mmoc7d0ef109c7; 2013-01-24 at 04:47 PM. Reason: decay better than detoriate yo

10+ Year Old Account
    Not only am I a donor, but I'd prefer they use my organs for someone who can use them, or heck even for med students to practice on. I won't use it.

Deleted
    I am not allowed to donate blood I probably would if I was allowed though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm an organ donor, but not a blood donor.

I hate needles. I f**king hate needles.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    I'm an organ donor, but not a blood donor.

I hate needles. I f**king hate needles.
    I am in the same boat. I am registered for organ donating, but am incredibly afraid of needles used for blood taking. I gave blood once and just thinking of the experience makes my arms feel weird.

I know, awful reason to not give blood but

I am a pansy.

Deleted
    I feel physically weak just by the thought of having my blood drained by a syringe or having an organ or part of an organ removed. When I die they can take everything they want from but as long as I live I won't give a single drop of my blood.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    im both an organ donor and blood donor. i actually donated plasma for the first time yesterday. most of the time i just donate double reds but i figured i would do plasma this time around since ive never done it. basically the same process as donating double reds except i get to keep my blood vs. keeping the plasma.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    It's total and utter bollocks though, by this definition every heterosexual having anal sex should be counted out as well. Which doesn't happen. Because the risk lies in anal sex, not "being gay". FYI, at least over here they decline lesbians as well. There's absolutely no consistency or logic whatsoever.
    Its not so much being gay as it is gay people are a small demographic in comparison to straight people.

Small group means more chance of encountering someone who is infected. Thats why for a long time it was called "the gay disease". Because gay people were the only demographic to have a sizeable percentage with the disease. Obviously its pretty rare for a gay man to have sex with a non gay man so for a while the disease pretty much stayed in that small circle.