Page 51 of 106 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Well, who is going to compete with them, Microsoft wont, Nintendo is the only option and well, its the Wii U...but yes bizarre.
    This actually puts Nintendo in a pretty good position. There aren't any big name Vita games I can think of coming out this holiday season, so the Vita isn't going to be a big seller. However Nintendo has some big name games coming out for both 3DS and Wii U, and with no handheld/home console to compete with, they stand a good chance to make up some ground with the Wii U, and extend their lead with the 3DS.

Nintendo is probably thanking their lucky stars at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    This actually puts Nintendo in a pretty good position. There aren't any big name Vita games I can think of coming out this holiday season, so the Vita isn't going to be a big seller. However Nintendo has some big name games coming out for both 3DS and Wii U, and with no handheld/home console to compete with, they stand a good chance to make up some ground with the Wii U, and extend their lead with the 3DS.

I'm not sure I'd agree tbh, the Wii U's 3rd party game sales are pretty much non existent, they're basically depending on... well, Just Dance 2014, given that Just Dance 4 had fairly terrible sales figures, I doubt that's going to matter, Sonic Lost World will probably shift a million to two million units, due to being cross platform... then I suppose Super Mario 3D World will probably push some significant (for the Wii U) figures and same for Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.

The problem is, that cross-platform titles just haven't moved on the Wii U and the casual players of the Wii never shifted over to the Wii U, not to mention that the next mainstream casual games out are mostly just reiterations of games already available on the Wii U (Just Dance, Scribblenauts come to mind).

Considering we're going into the big-hitters of the core gamers season - GTA 5 and everything that comes after this year will just take over the charts, the Wii U will mostly get side-lined. Its core games are going to have to prove to be god-tier to make any kind of impact at all this Holiday Season. The 3DS will probably just tick over as it always does however.

...."no home console for them to compete with this holiday season"!?

Are you MAD!? o_O

EDIT: 3DS to Vita I totally get (I wish Sony would dump the Vita too personally...) - but dude... Home Consoles!? Right now the damn PS3 is outselling the Wii-U in JAPAN on a weekly basis! Now you're expecting it to have no competition this holiday season - the same holiday season with the XO and PS4 releasing!?!

EDIT #2: Or are you talking purely Japan? If so, I'm still not so sure if the Wii-U will establish itself - particularly with the PlayStation Vita TV they're releasing this holiday season - and not to mention that the current upcoming crop of Wii-U games for this holiday aren't big sale-pushers in Japan, particularly Donkey Kong Country.
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2013-09-10 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    ...."no home console for them to compete with this holiday season"!?

Are you MAD!? o_O
    In Japan there isn't. Wii U is the only 'current' gen console in Japan this holiday season.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

In Japan there isn't. Wii U is the only 'current' gen console in Japan this holiday season.
    I figured that part out before you posted... was making my #2 edit when you probably wrote this. :P

Even so - I don't think it's going to be enough. We'll see though...

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    I figured that part out before you posted... was making my #2 edit when you probably wrote this. :P

Even so - I don't think it's going to be enough. We'll see though...
    It will be a boost for Wii U sales, but it isn't going to be enough to turn it into a commercial success I don't think.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account

Of course it puts them in a good position, but they are in such a terrible position to start with it will be of small benefit long term, PS3 continues to outsell by more than 2:1. Nintendo have been given a damage limitation, a grace period before the Wii U is crippled beyond repair by the Ps4. The Wii U clearly has a home console to compete with in the Ps3 still, time will tell, but this is probably going to be a decision that wont come back to bite them on the ass.

PS TV look slike it will offer up a challenge too, crazy price, I will get one once its in the UK.

Just cancelled my pre-order, EB games here in Australia don't seem to be doing any bundles yet and since I preordered after the 5th of August I would be getting the second batch anyway which god knows when that'll be.

Most games I want are 2014 releases anyway and hopefully one will get a bundle deal with the console

Has there been any information abouts PS4s DLNA capabilities yet?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay View Post
    Just cancelled my pre-order, EB games here in Australia don't seem to be doing any bundles yet and since I preordered after the 5th of August I would be getting the second batch anyway which god knows when that'll be.

Most games I want are 2014 releases anyway and hopefully one will get a bundle deal with the console
    wise move, i struggle to see a reason to plunge right in to this generation personality.

15+ Year Old Account
    This kinda blows my mind. I mean, on the one hand it's kinda smart that they get a strong launch lineup for the Japanese release. On the other hand...they're releasing in their home country 4 months after the NA/EU release >.>

Sony just Microsoft'd Japan, and Japan actually matters for them (unlike Microsoft). Blowing my damn mind.

I shall eagerly await the effigies of Kaz that shall be burned outside their HQ.
    I can understand the discomfort of knowing that the console in which the company's home turf is, won't be getting it for four months after everyone else; but in the end, once it launches, all will be forgiven; but I say that because I think that Sony is taking the "safe" approach with Japan.

By using NA/EU as a test market for hardware/software issues, while also banking on the NA/EU holiday shopping sprees, which is overall a larger market; they can secure a safe launch for Japan with any updates that might fix any issues that arise in those 4 months.

That and Japan is pretty much guaranteed sales, they're not going to see a huge loss just because Sony is launching 4 months later. They're going to sell no matter what, especially when the PS2 is the single greatest console ever, having sold the most units in the history of ever. The only competitor they have to worry about is Nintendo, who's not getting most of their core titles out till Spring 2014 at the earliest, post-February. If anything, Sony will be able to move more pre-orders for Japan, and Nintendo might move some more units before their core titles start launching next year.

Deleted
    ds is actually the highest selling console ever of ever.. ps2 is king of the home consoles though.

I think its selling so late in japan because the games arent ready more than anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    wise move, i struggle to see a reason to plunge right in to this generation personality.
    I'm getting one because half the games I want this Fall are going to be on the PS4 for the same price as their PS3 counter parts so why not not adopt now? Also a bunch of good F2P games.

I don't know about Australia but Sony said the the next wave if PS4s (non launch day) will be very soon, like next day if they get their way. They already increased the number of launch day PS4. Not sure what warp hole Sony is pulling consoles out if but if they can meet demand then good for them. I remember when some people waited months to try to find a PS3.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    ds is actually the highest selling console ever of ever.. ps2 is king of the home consoles though.
    Total worldwide sales per platform.
    - PlayStation 2 sold 157.68 million units.
    - DS sold 154.75 million units.
    - 3DS sold 33.46 million units.

Even Nintendo officially separates the DS and the 3DS in their sales figures.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    I'm getting one because half the games I want this Fall are going to be on the PS4 for the same price as their PS3 counter parts so why not not adopt now? Also a bunch of good F2P games.

I don't know about Australia but Sony said the the next wave if PS4s (non launch day) will be very soon, like next day if they get their way. They already increased the number of launch day PS4. Not sure what warp hole Sony is pulling consoles out if but if they can meet demand then good for them. I remember when some people waited months to try to find a PS3.
    Thats cool, I have a choice between buying a PS4 and getting overdrawn or not, and right now, I'd rather not, nothing jumps out at me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anshinritsumai View Post
    Total worldwide sales per platform.
    - PlayStation 2 sold 157.68 million units.
    - DS sold 154.75 million units.
    - 3DS sold 33.46 million units.

Even Nintendo officially separates the DS and the 3DS in their sales figures.
    http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/ni...tem.452794606/

VGC posted an article in dec saying it had passed the total amount.. the only official figures i could find from sony are from a release by sony in feb 2011 saying it had hit 150m sell-in units.. which is selling the console to retailers not the general public. If it sold 7m units in the past 2 years and every single console it sold to retailers id be very impressed..

i wasnt counting both either.. but fair enough its very close and probably too close to call one or the other the king of ever of ever.

- - - Updated - - -

more on topic.. has anyone seen official bundles in the uk yet?

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming...lopers-1181352

According to sources speaking to Edge, the PS4's memory reader are 40-50% faster than the Xbox One. Its Arithmetic Logic Unit is also said to be about 50% speedier.

The report then goes on to give an example of a platform-agnostic development build can run at 30fps in 1920 x 1080 on PS4 but at "20-something" fps in 1600 x 900 on Xbox One. "Xbox One is weaker and it's a pain to use its ESRAM," added one developer.
    I would post this in the xbox one thread as well but, well, i don't want to shit stir to much...and zeta would flip

Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming...lopers-1181352

I would post this in the xbox one thread as well but, well, i don't want to shit stir to much...and zeta would flip
    This is with un-optimized engines though. While it's difficult to use the ESRAM to its full potential (kinda like the current cell processor for the PS3), the difference between the two is considerably smaller. Though for a while the PS4 will be capable of far more as it will take time for developers to get all the power out of the ESRAM.

This is with un-optimized engines though. While it's difficult to use the ESRAM to its full potential (kinda like the current cell processor for the PS3), the difference between the two is considerably smaller. Though for a while the PS4 will be capable of far more as it will take time for developers to get all the power out of the ESRAM.
    No doubt, but it swings both ways...the PS4 will increase it's performance.
    The problem being are they going to gimp games on the PS4 to keep them the same which is hinted at.
    It may end up pushing some exclusives to the PS4 if the ESRAM relay is as bad as they are making out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    No doubt, but it swings both ways...the PS4 will increase it's performance.
    The problem being are they going to gimp games on the PS4 to keep them the same which is hinted at.
    It may end up pushing some exclusives to the PS4 if the ESRAM relay is as bad as they are making out.
    or you could end up with more exclusives on xbox because they dont want to non "gimp" a game.. its a pretty pathetic way of thinking. Games have always been ported.. and the ps3 was supposed to be streets ahead of the 360 aswell but that wasnt the case either.