Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Hows Sub (PvE) on the PTR?

I would like to main spec Sub for most fights come 5.2. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to watch streams of the new encounters (minus the turtle fight) or read up on them.

But how might Sub perform on the new encounters? Hoping for more solo boss encounters would put a swing towards Sub, unless Blizzard increases Sub's aoe capabilities for add-fights before the patch releases.

Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, with the Sanguinary Veins changes, approximately 2.9% better then they are on live.

I'm sure baseline prep (wooh, one extra vanish!) helps slightly, too. Make that 3.0%.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

I do believe the sanguinary veins buff is a 3.45% increase.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

I'm aware of the buff... but much of Sub's success will factor on the new fights in the next patch. If they are all AoE fights, Sub will perform horribly. If they are all single-target, Sub will perform better. Mut might (?) perform better in a single target fight than Sub, but Sub will be closer in terms of overall damage/dps if the fight isn't AoE / Cleave intensive.

Buffs aside, will Sub be better this time around - or will there still be a big mix of aoe/cleave fights for mut/combat to greatly surpass Sub? I'd answer this myself if I knew what all the upcoming fights will be like. Unfortunately, I only know the turtle fight... and that seems to favor aoe a little (plus I'm not sure if players can get behind the target... or if the sides of the boss count as the "back").
    Last edited by RemJay24; 2013-02-01 at 11:10 AM.

Just as an aside, sub has amazing aoe capability due to Crimson Tempest hitting like a truck.
    I am the lucid dream

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Just as an aside, sub has amazing aoe capability due to Crimson Tempest hitting like a truck.
    What planet do you live on?

Crimson Tempest makes for decent snap/burst AOE. Decent. Not truck-hitting.

Assassination's AOE, long term, makes Sub's look like a terrible joke.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Validity View Post
    What planet do you live on?
    In a world where stacking mastery is viable? Jesus, so hostile.

Perhaps truck is a bit over the top, but having Sanguinary Veins up on all targets, HaT, smooth energy generation and a high mastery build, you don't slack behind in the aoe department. You just don't.

In the least, saying that sub will perform horribly at AoE is wrong, hence the post.
    I am the lucid dream

Quote Originally Posted by RemJay24 View Post
    But how might Sub perform on the new encounters?
    Shitty.

Quote Originally Posted by RemJay24 View Post
    But how might Sub perform on the new encounters?
    I'd be willing to bet no one has even tried it in the new raid. A 3+% buff isn't going to make spec barely anyone plays played more it would need a lot more than that to get people who don't want to play it to test it.

Depending on boss, gear is scaled to 502 ilvl, 507 ilvl or 517 ilvl inside the instance, regardless of your current gear (every item in your inventory scaled btw, old legendaries and fishing poles too).

For quite a long time bugged glyph ui (can't change any glyph) and gear itself (all your gear looks not enchatned, not gemmed and not upgraded for you, tho if inspected by other players - it is ok).

I really doubt anyone tested sub in raid, it's mostly test of current raid mechanic and it's a mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Perhaps truck is a bit over the top, but having Sanguinary Veins up on all targets, HaT, smooth energy generation and a high mastery build, you don't slack behind in the aoe department. You just don't.
    When you gonna progreess on Sha HC, please spec into high mastery sub and may be share logs with us, please please?
    Last edited by Mazius; 2013-02-02 at 09:15 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazius View Post
    Depending on boss, gear is scaled to 502 ilvl, 507 ilvl or 517 ilvl inside the instance, regardless of your current gear (every item in your inventory scaled btw, old legendaries and fishing poles too).

For quite a long time bugged glyph ui (can't change any glyph) and gear itself (all your gear looks not enchatned, not gemmed and not upgraded for you, tho if inspected by other players - it is ok).

I really doubt anyone tested sub in raid, it's mostly test of current raid mechanic and it's a mess.

When you gonna progreess on Sha HC, please spec into high mastery sub and may be share logs with us, please please?
    I could probably do it next reset, if we are not doing ach run then.

Deleted
    Why choose mastery when the aoe part represents less 10% of the fight?

Deleted
    They might have a single target heavy raid roster, that needs more aoe or such.

Quote Originally Posted by Draigars View Post
    Why choose mastery when the aoe part represents less 10% of the fight?
    It's most important part of the fight, and if mastery-sub AoE that good, why not?
    P.S. Combat and assa don't need to sacrifice anything for strong cleave/multitarget/AoE on this fight. I've should color word "progression" red, playing sub there during progression - not good idea at all.
    P.P.S Ther's approximately 0.5 AoE fights in this tier (Feng, Blade-Lord, Sha), so talking about high-mastery sub builds really pointless.

Deleted
    It's most important part of the fight, and if mastery-sub AoE that good, why not?
    Only the last two pop of adds, and by increasing the dps on the Sha, you can avoid the last or last two add phases.

Deleted
    Gl having 10 adds up with huddle, it hurts, like hell.

Deleted
    Sub's aoe isn't horrible, but it is behind assassination for sustained periods for sure - enough reason to prefer asssassination sadly.

I'd personally be more concerned that assassination has the sub 35% execute phase and an easier deal to get near the max output that your gear can give. I want to play Sub as well though, perhaps alongside combat... similar reforging is kind've a plus and I think Combat's on demand bursts have merit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahdehl View Post
    Shitty.
    Should we take this to mean there'll be more encounters where you find yourself in front often, or really frequent target swaps, come 5.2?

Quote Originally Posted by Mugajak View Post
    Should we take this to mean there'll be more encounters where you find yourself in front often, or really frequent target swaps, come 5.2?
    Still can't understand why we are the only pure dps who hasn't 3 viable dps specs for every encounter, i mean hunter mage lock can choose between three specs for every fight (though there will always be a spec that performs better than others), rogue has 2 and half dps specs for raiding, very unfair...

Deleted
    Still can't understand why we are the only pure dps who hasn't 3 viable dps specs for every encounter, i mean hunter mage lock can choose between three specs for every fight (though there will always be a spec that performs better than others), rogue has 2 and half dps specs for raiding, very unfair...
    Please, name me one T14 encounter where sub performs half as good compared to assa or combat.