Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Of course he can. This was in a leaked memo saying that the President can target people if they are linked to terrorism goes outside the court of a trail. Now is it legal and fair. Well those are two separate questions. When we invaded Iraq. Was it fair was targeted people locking them in a supermax like prison and torturing them for hours on end without allowing them due access to due process.

Of course that shouldn't been legal. The superme court said three times while Bush was President. You cannot just grab someone throwing them in a jail without evidence of any kind. But we did it anyways. Now we use drones to soar through the sky killing people and innocent bystanders. Again not prolly legal or fair. In fact most likely in violation of international law the first two. But we did it anyways.

Now only when An American is killed without due process do we only blink and wonder if this is legal. Most of it is likely stuff we're making up as we go along. However they are the Gov and we are the people. We cannot really do anything about it. 9/11 was a game changer that truly changed the core of America and how we respond to attacks. It's not a simple yes or no answer.

Oh no. It's more complex then that. But that's my answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is one of the very few things I have to side with President Obama on. If you affiliate yourself with what is undisputedly a terrorist organization that is actively plotting to launch attacks targeting noncombatant civilians, you should be assassinated if capturing you would be difficult. As for due process, they receive that under the law allowing for their execution order to be issued by the President or the few others with this authority. Due process does not always mean a trial.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    This is one of the very few things I have to side with President Obama on. If you affiliate yourself with what is undisputedly a terrorist organization that is actively plotting to launch attacks targeting noncombatant civilians, you should be assassinated if capturing you would be difficult. As for due process, they receive that under the law allowing for their execution order to be issued by the President or the few others with this authority. Due process does not always mean a trial.
    Wow, so you agree with arguably the most horrible thing that this administration does?

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Willy View Post

Because, you know, killing them is the sure fire way to go.
    Come now, you more than anyone should now my affinity for sarcasm and humor.

The government does what it can to protect their citizens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Come now, you more than anyone should now my affinity for sarcasm and humor.
    Suppose I just don't find it funny. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Chamipon View Post
    I would rather my protector not be a monster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    It's a little odd, in that the left wanted Bush's head for "enhanced interrogations", but to this it's like Obama is some sort of hero.
    I'm not seeing this at all. The reaction is actually kinda strange. Conservatives are praising Obama (even in this thread) and liberals seem fairly dissatisfied. Ron Wyden D-OR led a group to call on the President to release the rest of the confidential memos. The ACLU is thoroughly pissed.

I'm not seeing liberals lifting Obama up as a hero.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    What makes a terrorist a terrorist? Just because you are scared of them? What stops the government deciding Anonymous is a terrorist group and they use this to try to kill them without a due trial?

Quote Originally Posted by Chamipon View Post
    Funny when your government can be both your protector and maker at the same time.
    Last edited by apepi; 2013-02-06 at 05:00 AM.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Obama should start with Mmochampion. This piece of shit website deserves to be blown up in a drone strike.

Can the President personally kill someone? No.

Can he order the deaths of people? Yes.

Do I like it? No.

Do I understand why the government wants that power? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    I'm not seeing this at all. The reaction is actually kinda strange. Conservatives are praising Obama (even in this thread) and liberals seem fairly dissatisfied. Ron Wyden D-OR led a group to call on the President to release the rest of the confidential memos. The ACLU is thoroughly pissed.

I'm not seeing liberals lifting Obama up as a hero.
    Maybe not.. but there isn't nearly as much outrage versus the 6 years of crying and moaning about Bush is there?
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    Obama should start with Mmochampion. This piece of shit website deserves to be blown up in a drone strike.
    That was so uncalled for on so many levels. I am assuming this is someones account that got banned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    What makes a terrorist a terrorist? Just because you are scared of them? What stops the government deciding Anonymous is a terrorist group and they use this to try to kill them without a due trial?
    Specific targeting of noncombatant civilians for death as an overall policy is the big thing. As Anonymous has not yet done that or officially joined with organized foreign forces hostile to America, offhanded execution is not on the table. Instead they should be hunted down and have their possessions confiscated and used to repay those they have damaged for their losses.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe not.. but there isn't nearly as much outrage versus the 6 years of crying and moaning about Bush is there?
    I would expect more outrage than was had with Bush, to be honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's pretty natural for Democrats to criticize Republicans more sharply than they would themselves, and vice versa. I'm not sure why it has to be constantly pointed out over every single issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    Indiscriminately? No.
    Depends on the person.

Indiscriminate killing from a Republican President is expected, but from a Democrat I would take great concern over that.
    Last edited by Northy; 2013-02-06 at 05:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    It's pretty natural for Democrats to criticize Republicans more sharply than they would themselves, and vice versa. I'm not sure why it has to be constantly pointed out over every single issue.
    Because it exists, and it's a point the left hates hearing.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

Really? The left hates the fact that people who generally oppose your policies will criticize everything you do more than someone who generally agrees with your policies? I don't think the 'left hates hearing' that.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Really? The left hates the fact that people who generally oppose your policies will criticize everything you do more than someone who generally agrees with your policies? I don't think the 'left hates hearing' that.
    I was referring to being hypocrites.

10+ Year Old Account
    Democrats and Republicans both do it. It's a pretty natural phenomena. I just don't get the point of discussing how people react to news, rather than the news itself.