Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    You do realise that 5x5 is for STRENGTH gain and not volume focused right?
    Its good to build a base for the compound lifts to develop strength there to later go onto a mass building program.
    Im gonna be an asshole here but Strength = Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Rah55 View Post
    As males get older that is the hardest area to trim down. Mix up your work outs. Add some other kind of cardio, try some different kinds of lifting. Join a a gym and use their equipment for a change up. Your body adjusts to the same routine and progress slows otherwise mailmen would have hugely muscular legs.

Weight watchers also works well and will give you a good education in nutrition.
    WW has some mad bro science backing it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    You do realise that 5x5 is for STRENGTH gain and not volume focused right?
    Its good to build a base for the compound lifts to develop strength there to later go onto a mass building program.
    Im gonna be an asshole here but Strength = Muscle
    While i agree that its main focus may be on strength, its catchline is "The ultimate strength AND muscle building program".

The problem is, if you really want to gain strength, doing 5x5 is a very short term solution, its a safe way to plateu shortly. Any strength coach will tell you that, strength is not purely about lifting heavy, but explosive, this a major part left out of 5x5 which is why I said its not a good program. Sure its a decent beginner program, but even then i wouldn't recommend it since the program main thing is to lift heavy, which beginners shouldn't because of incorrect technique.

To be an asshole myself: Muscle = Strength. A bigger muscle, is always a stronger, in theory. CNS adaptions play a huge role as well, but in the end the size of your muscle will be the limit to the force it can apply. But its a double edged blade, getting stronger means more muscle stimulation which means better hypertrophy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    WW has some mad bro science backing it.
    Most things have bro science backing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Labze View Post
    While i agree that its main focus may be on strength, its catchline is "The ultimate strength AND muscle building program".

The problem is, if you really want to gain strength, doing 5x5 is a very short term solution, its a safe way to plateu shortly. Any strength coach will tell you that, strength is not purely about lifting heavy, but explosive, this a major part left out of 5x5 which is why I said its not a good program. Sure its a decent beginner program, but even then i wouldn't recommend it since the program main thing is to lift heavy, which beginners shouldn't because of incorrect technique.

To be an asshole myself: Muscle = Strength. A bigger muscle, is always a stronger, in theory. CNS adaptions play a huge role as well, but in the end the size of your muscle will be the limit to the force it can apply. But its a double edged blade, getting stronger means more muscle stimulation which means better hypertrophy.
    I really wish muscle size correlated with strength directly from person to person. (meaning I wish being big and muscular like I am translated into being very very strong... but it doesnt :-(. I can barely deadlift 500 and I see guys who look like twigs over 600. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkRkPigvO9Y. Guy weighs like 135 lbs and deadlifts 600 with ease. Fucking garbage.

Thanks for the help everyone. I appreciate all the advice.

Personally, i wouldn't recommend the stronglifts 5x5 in your case, it is a decent program at best for some purposes, but its not a solid muscle building program for extended periods.

2200kcal a day does not sound like much. You need to be more drastic if you want to notice results. Its hard for me to understand your actual goal. I don't know if your set your goal yourself, but that is probrably the most important thing to start off with, how do you plan to end up looking like? If you want to be that skinny guy who looks underfed, just cut a few weeks, but if you want to be fit and athletic looking you need to ignore your abs for 6 months maybe a year to get anywhere.
    Sorry I wasn't clear. My goal is an athletic look, lower body fat % and just overall fitness. I've been at it for a few years now, so if I have to kick it up to the next level for another year, I'm game.

The visible abs would be nice, but not my overall goal. If I have to bury the abs and eat more, I'm ok with that. Just so I know though, what's a reasonable time frame that I should be aiming for? I.E. gain weight for 3 months, cut for 3 months and re-evaluate in the fall?

Quote Originally Posted by MistyMountainHopper View Post

Sorry I wasn't clear. My goal is an athletic look, lower body fat % and just overall fitness. I've been at it for a few years now, so if I have to kick it up to the next level for another year, I'm game.

The visible abs would be nice, but not my overall goal. If I have to bury the abs and eat more, I'm ok with that. Just so I know though, what's a reasonable time frame that I should be aiming for? I.E. gain weight for 3 months, cut for 3 months and re-evaluate in the fall?
    You already have an athletic look. So confused.

You look like a swimmer

You really think phelps is not athletic looking?

I would suggest finding a crossfit box that has a good trainer if you are looking to become more athletic. If you are looking to look like a bodybuilder, I am sorry but you do not have the body type to do that.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2013-02-21 at 01:19 AM.

Deleted

It's hard to say, we both probrably have a different idea of what your goal might be. If i were your trainer, i would give you two choices. Either work your ass off with a pretty strict diet and a good workout and bulk for about 4 months, then cut for 1-1½ and have a decent form for mid summer. This probrably could get you were you want to be.

Or you could go all in already now, a solid bulk diet, a good workout and go all in for 6 months, followed by a short cutting phase, bulk again and cut before the next summer, this would give you time to build a pretty decent physique.

You can archive decent results in good time, but it all depends on how well you are prepared. You can see people with 6 months of training experience, who has a much better physique than one with 4 years, some might say genetics, but in the end in most cases its purely because the one person gave it that extra compared to the other.

The more time you spend on archiving your goal the faster you will get there. If you have time for 5x training sessions a week, I would so strongly recommend following Layne Nortons PHAT protocol. It is the most awesome non-custom tailored protocol that i have seen freely available.

What i can say tho at last, your body fat is already pretty low which is a good starting point. You MIGHT not need to cut that much, if you have a solid bulk that isn't over the top. You don't have that much muscle, so if you are efficient you could see results faster. What i usually like to say to 'skinny fat' dudes that want to get shred is 'you can lower your fat percentage by increasing your muscle mass'. In this case it seems like a pretty valid approach.

You already have an athletic look. So confused.

You look like a swimmer

You really think phelps is not athletic looking?

I would suggest finding a crossfit box that has a good trainer if you are looking to become more athletic. If you are looking to look like a bodybuilder, I am sorry but you do not have the body type to do that.
    Sorry, not to offend the OP or anything, but your delusional if you can compare these 2 physiques and say they a close.

It's hard to say, we both probrably have a different idea of what your goal might be. If i were your trainer, i would give you two choices. Either work your ass off with a pretty strict diet and a good workout and bulk for about 4 months, then cut for 1-1½ and have a decent form for mid summer. This probrably could get you were you want to be.

Or you could go all in already now, a solid bulk diet, a good workout and go all in for 6 months, followed by a short cutting phase, bulk again and cut before the next summer, this would give you time to build a pretty decent physique.

You can archive decent results in good time, but it all depends on how well you are prepared. You can see people with 6 months of training experience, who has a much better physique than one with 4 years, some might say genetics, but in the end in most cases its purely because the one person gave it that extra compared to the other.

The more time you spend on archiving your goal the faster you will get there. If you have time for 5x training sessions a week, I would so strongly recommend following Layne Nortons PHAT protocol. It is the most awesome non-custom tailored protocol that i have seen freely available.

What i can say tho at last, your body fat is already pretty low which is a good starting point. You MIGHT not need to cut that much, if you have a solid bulk that isn't over the top. You don't have that much muscle, so if you are efficient you could see results faster. What i usually like to say to 'skinny fat' dudes that want to get shred is 'you can lower your fat percentage by increasing your muscle mass'. In this case it seems like a pretty valid approach.

Sorry, not to offend the OP or anything, but your delusional if you can compare these 2 physiques and say they a close.
    Phelps is 6'4" at 195. Op is 5'10" at 155. I think 5 lbs an inch is a pretty good comparison. So Phelps would be at 165 at his height. Yes, phelps has like 2-4% less body fat than OP in that photo and some more muscle mass. They have a similar body type though and OP is definitely athletic looking. You really think phelps looks like that year round? Lets take a look at him on the off season:

OP is a runner. I just think we are confusing what "athletic" means. I think marathon runners look athletic. You apparently do not.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2013-02-21 at 01:47 AM.

Deleted
    Phelps is 6'4" at 195. Op is 5'10" at 155. I think 5 lbs an inch is a pretty good comparison. So Phelps would be at 165 at his height. Yes, phelps has like 2-4% less body fat than OP in that photo and some more muscle mass. They have a similar body type though and OP is definitely athletic looking. You really think phelps looks like that year round? Lets take a look at him on the off season:

OP is a runner. I just think we are confusing what "athletic" means. I think marathon runners look athletic. You apparently do not.
    I can't comment for Phelps mass year round, but i actually happen to know a danish high status swimmer which now moved to america for some university swim team. He usually stayed lean all year round.

It is not to say that Phelps has an unreachable physique by any means, usually sprint sport atheletes only carry a modest amount of muscle mass to keep their overall weight down. I'm just saying he isn't there yet. His LBM is too low and BF is too high. With anywhere from 6-12 months he could have the same, or better physique if he fought for it.

But just because somebody has a low body fat percentage doesn't mean their athletic looking by any means. Or do you think Justin Bieber is athletic?

EDIT FOR YOUR EDIT
    True, i think Phelps is pretty athletic looking, however, the later image you posted I think not. I would like to see atleast a little amount of muscle mass before i would use that term, otherwise i just say skinny. I of course might have some biased views on it, since I'm within the bodybuilding scene, not general fitness.
    Last edited by mmocf0ad466cc1; 2013-02-21 at 02:00 AM.

Just to diffuse things here, I appreciate the compliment, and yeah, the Phelps look is what I would aim for in a perfect world.

I'm totally happy with where I am now and I don't mean to sound ungrateful for the progress I've made. I just want to take things to the next level and needed some guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rah55 View Post
    As males get older that is the hardest area to trim down. Mix up your work outs. Add some other kind of cardio, try some different kinds of lifting. Join a a gym and use their equipment for a change up. Your body adjusts to the same routine and progress slows otherwise mailmen would have hugely muscular legs.

Weight watchers also works well and will give you a good education in nutrition.
    I agree with this bro.

Just to diffuse things here, I appreciate the compliment, and yeah, the Phelps look is what I would aim for in a perfect world.

I'm totally happy with where I am now and I don't mean to sound ungrateful for the progress I've made. I just want to take things to the next level and needed some guidance.
    Highly suggest a crossfit gym with some good trainers. Improve your flexibility and get you an all around athletic appearance. I am not a fan of bodybuilding style fitness because it tends to be aimed more are looks than at functionality. You can definitely find some really good bodybuilder trainers who know their stuff fitness wise and will incorporate a more balanced approach but it is rare. I do not think I have ever seen a bodybuilder do YTWLs, something I think EVERYONE should do once a week, for instance. And I hate the BB bench press and bodybuilders tend to be overly fond of it.

I use to be all about mass. Got up to 180 at 7% bodyfat. Had a very impressive physique. But I couldnt squat to parallel, my shoulder mobility blew chunks, I couldnt touch my elbows together, and I couldn't touch my toes. Don't make the mistake I did and focus upon muscle mass instead of athletic performance. It took me 2 years of yoga and regular stretching to get myself into even moderate athletic shape. I am at a higher bodyfat percentage despite not having gained much weight but I am faster, stronger, and much better at sports. So I suppose what I am saying is lift heavy but make sure to incorporate some stability exercises and stretch after every workout so you remain limber/become more limber.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2013-02-21 at 02:31 AM.

True, i think Phelps is pretty athletic looking, however, the later image you posted I think not. I would like to see atleast a little amount of muscle mass before i would use that term, otherwise i just say skinny. I of course might have some biased views on it, since I'm within the bodybuilding scene, not general fitness.
    Funny how different perspectives are - when I think "athletic", I think functional athleticism. I mean, I realize body builders are strong as hell, so I don't mean that as a shot at you guys, just that swimmers, cyclists, football players, sprinters, and boxers all look about equally "athletic".

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Funny how different perspectives are - when I think "athletic", I think functional athleticism. I mean, I realize body builders are strong as hell, so I don't mean that as a shot at you guys, just that swimmers, cyclists, football players, sprinters, and boxers all look about equally "athletic".
    body builders are not at all athletic. they're just physique. they can't actually DO anything with those muscles except lift heavy weights.
    the examples you posted are all athletic, but body builders, not at all.

---------- Post added 2013-02-22 at 12:01 AM ----------

Take in more calories, workout with heavier weights.
    Make sure you take in HEALTHY calories for the full effect.

Since you're a runner, you should try to mix up your workouts. Maybe go and use the elliptical machine to burn calories. Go swimming to burn calories.
    Once you get the muscle mass you want, eat less calories, maintain your weight instead of bulking.

This is probably a bit off topic, but how many killos is healthy/reasonable to lose in one month?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Piggo View Post
    This is probably a bit off topic, but how many killos is healthy/reasonable to lose in one month?
    A pound a week is reasonable.

When you start losing weight you'll lose alot though, water weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    A pound a week is reasonable.

When you start losing weight you'll lose alot though, water weight.
    People NEVER mention that water weight. It makes me sad.
    Dropping that water weight makes you look fantastic, you're slimmer, healthier, and look better.
    Your face is less bloated, etc.

And a pound or two a week is reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonakat View Post
    People NEVER mention that water weight. It makes me sad.
    Dropping that water weight makes you look fantastic, you're slimmer, healthier, and look better.
    Your face is less bloated, etc.

And a pound or two a week is reasonable.
    Uh, dropping water weight is not healthy. And frankly I find bloated faces attractive/cute. People who are dehydrated look too severe to me.

Deleted
    Uh, dropping water weight is not healthy. And frankly I find bloated faces attractive/cute. People who are dehydrated look too severe to me.
    I guess you dont know what water weight is.... >_>
    You lose water weight by, wait for it...... DRINKING WATER aswell.