Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    because its a game that consumes LARGE amounts of time and is not beneficial in any way at the same time.
    You talking about TV here. Games have quite a few beneficial aspects

The past couple years I've not noticed the "hate" on World of Warcraft (or online gaming in general) that I used to. 2004-2010, when I would tell people I was an avid World of Warcraft player I would get the "ha what a loser" reaction, even if people didn't say it.

However, lately, that hasn't been the case at all. When I bring it up, most people have played it, or are aware of it, and don't see it as being negative. It probably helps that I have a respectable job and a fair amount of success in life/career so people can accept that it's just a hobby. Might be different if I was a gas station clerk or unemployed telling people that I played a lot of WoW.

Deleted
    Same reason any stereotype survives. Ignorance.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW is very visible, and has been for a long time. Even people who have never played an MMORPG, or never play video games period, have at least heard of World of Warcraft. Because of this, it has come to represent MMORPGs to a lot of people. So when someone uses, "I bet you play WoW" or "Go back and play some more WoW", they're not generally referencing World of Warcraft specifically, but rather using a single example to stand for all MMORPGs as a whole.

I saw this a lot going through Basic Training. Any time somebody came across as nerdy in the slightest, there was bound to be a WoW-related insult thrown their way.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW is the modern day Dungeons&Dragons, and when I was playing D&D in middle school/high school, my friends and I were viewed as nerds for doing so.

Many many people do not play World Of Warcraft and some don't see it as an approved of way to spend your time, so they insult it.

In my opinion, people have a tendency to put something down in order to make what they spend their time on seem more worthwhile and "cool".
    Last edited by Bosen; 2013-02-09 at 02:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lazymangaka View Post
    WoW is very visible, and has been for a long time. Even people who have never played an MMORPG, or never play video games period, have at least heard of World of Warcraft. Because of this, it has come to represent MMORPGs to a lot of people. So when someone uses, "I bet you play WoW" or "Go back and play some more WoW", they're not generally referencing World of Warcraft specifically, but rather using a single example to stand for all MMORPGs as a whole.

I saw this a lot going through Basic Training. Any time somebody came across as nerdy in the slightest, there was bound to be a WoW-related insult thrown their way.
    This I find funny as most of the people in my Basic Flight (air force) either have played wow, were actively playing wow, or were avid diablo 2 players, and those that didn't fit that description were generally nerdy in other ways. As to WoW not having any benefits, it teaches teamwork/leadership skills (assuming you raid lead) and I know of at least one scientific benefit that came of this game (the generation of a epidemic spread prediction program that was based off the vanilla Blood Plague incident)

My Deviantart sig by Axa

Quote Originally Posted by LazarusLong View Post
    You talking about TV here. Games have quite a few beneficial aspects
    Few games do. TV does.

MMORPGS contribute nothing at all. And ITT, you will only find people that argue against that fact, while in a thread anywhere else that is not a wow fan site, this is the accepted opinion.

It's an american thing, clearly. In other countries, nobody looks at you badly for it. It's just a game, just like any other.

because it's developed a reputation for consuming lives and friendships, and is viewed as a non-social activity.

Humanity fears what it does not understand.

People hate WoW because no girls play it just nerdy guys! /sarcasm

Because it is extremely time consuming for the people playing, and very difficult to understand for people not playing.

because its a game that consumes LARGE amounts of time and is not beneficial in any way at the same time.
    What? I'm having fun. How is that not beneficial?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Because people dont understand how can you pay monthly for a game you enjoy, while they are spending same amount of money in a single night which they wont even remember next day.
    This is my favourite argument from people that hate on WoW. "How can you spend 12€ on a game EACH month?!" And then they go out drinking 2 nights every weekend spending literally over 100€ a night, on alcohol, yeah...

And then of course the stereotype that every WoW player is fat, lazy and just sits in front of his computer every day, all day. And this is true for like what, less than 5% of the people playing WoW? >_<

10+ Year Old Account
    They don't understand it that's why.

It is funny that a lot of haters waste their entire nights logged on facebook playing silly little games.

At least we waste our time getting epics and saving the world, of warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuchin View Post
    It's an american thing, clearly. In other countries, nobody looks at you badly for it. It's just a game, just like any other.
    I live in Greece. I know some people who judge those who play it.

15+ Year Old Account
    One or two programs making fun of a popular game (which btw. would only be mentioned specificly so others can relate) is now society?

Somewhat certain "society" consist of a bit more than that.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakuchin View Post
    It's not just an american thing, I live in Scotland and people I work with were shocked to hear I play it as they thought it was a game for fat loser nerds.

They also think people who play games on PCs and not on the PS3/Xbox are nerds.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2013-02-09 at 02:38 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandible View Post
    One or two programs making fun of a popular game (which btw. would only be mentioned specificly so others can relate) is now society?

Somewhat certain "society" consist of a bit more than that.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...eo-game-addict
    Its more stories like this one being read by ignorant people thinking this is a majority rather then a TV show causing the negative stigma.

So improved creativity, co-operation, language communication skills and relaxation is not benificial in any way IRL? Ok thanks for the heads up.