Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Obsidian Pitching New Star Wars RPG Game

First of all: No its not KOTOR 3

Speaking with RockPaperShotgun, Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart said that the studio is lobbying to develop a new Star Wars games for LucasArts, now wholly owned by Disney. The game the studio is pitching wouldn't take place in the same time period as Knights of the Old Republic, though, as Urquhart views this as a bad pitch since The Old Republic didn't perform exceedingly well.

Instead, Obsidian wants to make an RPG that takes place between Episodes III and IV, when the Jedi are being purged and the Emperor is further securing his empire. Urquhart added that Obsidian designer and writer Chris Avellone, who has written several Star Wars comics as well as Knights of the Old Republic II, has, "[come] up with a really cool story."

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...s/#more-141549

Quote Originally Posted by RevanSparda View Post
    Instead, Obsidian wants to make an RPG that takes place between Episodes III and IV, when the Jedi are being purged and the Emperor is further securing his empire.
    If it ignores the silliness of the Force Unleashed games then I say FUCK YEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

I actually prefer the old republic era of star wars

but I'll be interested to see how this goes

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I actually prefer the old republic era of star wars

but I'll be interested to see how this goes
    Same here. I'd rather not have any interaction with any of the movie characters. But, if done right, it could be a very great game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    So Knights of the Old Republic, but in the Rise of the Empire era. I like the sound of this. I hope Lucas Arts goes for it .

This is amazing news! With Bioware seemingly trying to destroy all the good reputation they earned over the years, and Bethesda busy with Elder Scrolls, Obsidian is an ideal choice for a new Star Wars rpg... as long as they have ample time to properly test it and remove most of the bugs in it that is

With MCA on the head of the writing staff, we could finally get the prequel episode we deserve.

I approve.

Quote Originally Posted by Drithiend View Post
    Obsidian is an ideal choice for a new Star Wars rpg... as long as they have ample time to properly test it and remove most of the bugs in it that is
    No chance of that. Obsidian is like Bethesda in that regard, they make great games but often have the most bugs in their games of the major studios.

They did a pretty good job with fallout new vegas so i'm optimistic it'll be good, not sure how disney owning lucasarts will effect things but I guess I'll see

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    No chance of that. Obsidian is like Bethesda in that regard, they make great games but often have the most bugs in their games of the major studios.
    They are also notorious for breaking well working camera systems. Still, they probably make some of the best ACTUAL C&C in their RPGs in the market and provide long term support to their games, furthermore proved by the personal rebalancing mod J. Sawyer worked on long after the work on NV was finished.

Also, they have pretty solid idea how to make proper RPG mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Solzan Nemesis View Post
    So Knights of the Old Republic, but in the Rise of the Empire era. I like the sound of this. I hope Lucas Arts goes for it .
    you mean Disney, remember its no longer George's to fuck up.

as long it doesn't have a shitty history and be rushed like Kotor II, i'm all in for this project to happen

But for me a new Star Wars RPG should really focus on the Pre-Republic era, when the Force was first discovered
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Before_the_Republic_era
    Last edited by Sargerus; 2013-02-08 at 06:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bleh. It's not that I dislike the idea, but I guess this is the final nail in the coffin for the Wheel of Time game. I guess it's true that they lost the licensing for it? Bleeeh. I'm excited for Project Eternity and this and all, but I really wanted that game.

Quote Originally Posted by RevanSparda View Post
    as long it doesn't have a shitty history and be rushed like Kotor II, i'm all in for this project to happen
    This would be my biggest concern. KotOR 2 was one of the worst games that I've ever finished. I kept playing it, expecting to get to "the good part" at any moment, and then the game ended. I literally did not enjoy the game for even a moment. It was terrible, and not just because it was incomplete. The story and the gameplay just weren't fun.

If I am not mistaken, KotOR2 was an Obsidian game, right? Yeah, I'm not going to get my hopes up on any Star Wars games that come from them in the future.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    Uh nice Star Wars single player RPG. Been some years since the Kotor series :-)

Wish it was in older times, Mandalorian wars would be cool. Maybe pre KOTRO, so fighting against Revan etc.

Oh well I guess this setting will have to do.

Just as long as they do it right, as people have already said KOTOR 2 was rushed, buggy and generally incomplete.

Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    This would be my biggest concern. KotOR 2 was one of the worst games that I've ever finished. I kept playing it, expecting to get to "the good part" at any moment, and then the game ended. I literally did not enjoy the game for even a moment. It was terrible, and not just because it was incomplete. The story and the gameplay just weren't fun.

If I am not mistaken, KotOR2 was an Obsidian game, right? Yeah, I'm not going to get my hopes up on any Star Wars games that come from them in the future.
    I can't really agree with that. While KotOR2 on it's own indeed was buggy mishmash of things, the game when played together with the restoration project patch is probably best Star Wars I've played storywise thus far.

If you haven't tried it with that patch, I'd highly recommend to give it a try.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a bit Star Wars'd out after TOR and that bounty hunter one coming up doesn't appeal to me at all. Who knows though. If they don't screw it up I might buy it.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    as Urquhart views this as a bad pitch since The Old Republic didn't perform exceedingly well.
    First mistake.

Instead, Obsidian wants to make an RPG that takes place between Episodes III and IV,
    Second mistake.