Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kornath View Post
    We do desire stability and security the only problem is that the majority of people only care about a certain group which is usually their own.
    Sorry, I should have specified; we're not a species that desires stability and security for all, just for ourselves. And usually at the expense of someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Sorry, I should have specified; we're not a species that desires stability and security for all, just for ourselves. And usually at the expense of someone else.
    I thought so, just wanted to point it out like I did earlier in the thread. Taking everything into consideration over the last few thousand years.. Things could be a lot worse.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It can't possibly be "fixed", because it's not a flaw. It's the necessary result of our struggle to survive and improve our lot, which is the reason we developed literally every single technological advancement we have. It's absolutely integral to humanity. We're social apex predators. We're not cows or horses, who can be happy living in a big herd. We're wolves. And if another pack threatens our territory, we'll rip it apart. And that's a good thing, because the alternative is that we're dead.

That's not to say we shouldn't pick our fights for good reasons, and try and avoid causing undue suffering, but the idea that fighting would just "go away"? Never gonna happen.
    So, what would you say that has exactly happened within the EU? War between the members has become some kind of unthinkable matter, and even war as a tool of external policy, against someone outside the EU, is extremely frowned upon. It definitely doesn't come natural to us.

10+ Year Old Account
    [Not bashing religion]

Religion causes social tensions even more than political views. It is the primary source of war throughout the history of mankind. That aside, there will always be strife as long as there is the need to force your will on someone else.

From freedoms (or lack thereof) to beliefs (not just religion), people always see the need to enforce that their idea and only their idea is the one and only way things should be handled. As long as we cannot be content to do our own thing and let others do theirs there will be no peace.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

10+ Year Old Account
    Peace won't happen until a true post scarcity world where communism is the form of government.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asics View Post
    I'd like to preface with the fact that I honestly do not know how to fix it. I would like to say that I believe the world will be a better place when the current generation of world leaders dies and we (the 20-40 year olds) step in to their place in leadership.
    And there are generations that have no humility and think they have all the answers come along and screw it up even worse. The surest way to know you dont have all the answers is to think you do.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    4> Realize that we can evolve beyond war and work as a mutual group together as a hive-mind for the benefit of all.
    5. Realize that hive minds are stupid.

We can, we probably wont. And as such I prefer to operate in the real world where I hope for the best but still address the reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Peace won't happen until a true post scarcity world where communism is the form of government.
    Communism has proven multiple times that it cannot address resource allocation properly and certainly didn't improves issues with scarcity. You do not need communism for peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendia View Post
    Religion causes social tensions even more than political views. It is the primary source of war throughout the history of mankind. That aside, there will always be strife as long as there is the need to force your will on someone else.
    I'd disagree. Religion has certainly caused it's share of conflict, but it's also been used as an excuse to go to war for the usual "I want what he has/he wants what I want" reasons.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2013-02-10 at 07:37 AM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    And there are generations that have no humility and think they have all the answers come along and screw it up even worse. The surest way to know you dont have all the answers is to think you do.
    The worst are the boomers. Generations before them knew struggle, knew there were moments to demand stuff and moments to keep the head down. My own generation (children of the boomers) is pretty bad but not nearly as much, and the generations that come behind me are much better, and they know a much better balance than my and their parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
    My question to you is: How can this be fixed. Can it be fixed and how long do we have to wait before our societies realize there is a better way.
    What if I don't wanna fix it?

What you gonna do now?

You gonna... fight about it?
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    I'd disagree. Religion has certainly caused it's share of conflict, but it's also been used as an excuse to go to war for the usual "I want what he has/he wants what I want" reasons.
    That can be true, of course. But in the end it is the same. Usually it is the person that says to go to war with that motive, but uses the religion to motivate others to war. Still war because of religion.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    What if I don't wanna fix it?

What you gonna do now?

You gonna... fight about it?
    I'm going to be with the others waiting until you kill each other off, and then I'll pick up your remains and make something useful out of them for my friends and family. ^_^

10+ Year Old Account
    I no longer believe that total peace can ever be achieved.

Nor that it should be something to strive for. Imagine a world void of any kind of interpersonal tension, conflict or disagreement. Sounds Orwellian to me.

There's a better way, nobody gives enough of a shit to work out that better way.

Endus is wrong and right. He's wrong in that there are more options and he's listing them as a means to control the direction of a discussion; he's right in that fundamentally humans desire conflict. See how children treat each other.

I'd be okay with mass slavery if it was done intelligently.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpKnight View Post
    I no longer believe that total peace can ever be achieved.

Nor that it should be something to strive for. Imagine a world void of any kind of interpersonal tension, conflict or disagreement. Sounds Orwellian to me.
    Because learning to control one's emotions and not hit or insult people you dislike is orwellian. Instead, we should be slaves to our emotions, to our animalistic nature, instead of letting the higher functions take the reins of our personality.

The meaning of the word 'archaic' kinda makes it impossible for that to be the case.

IMO. Simple answer is that as long as we have free will, we will never have worldwide peace.

Wow, I didn't expect to hear so many "war is okay" answers. But I guess it just goes to show how barbaric we still are.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Wow, I didn't expect to hear so many "war is okay" answers. But I guess it just goes to show how barbaric we still are.
    War isn't barbarism. Its a natural mechanism for shaking up an established power ladder.

Until we a) move into a post-scarcity environment and b) figure out a way to remove any distinguishing features between people (e.g. eliminate individuality) there will always be wars. War (or violence in general) is a physical manifestation of competitive wiring of our species. Until you completely re-wire people, war isn't going to go anywhere.

If there are disagreements, why cant they be handled peacefully.
    Those disagreements that CAN be handled peacefully, are handled peacefully. However, inevitably you come to a point where for one person to live well, another must die (or live poorly). Those cannot be handled peacefully because there is no middle ground, or the middle ground is flat out unacceptable.

People disagree on what is right and wrong. And because people disagree on what is right and wrong, it causes conflict. And in a conflict, the only way to get your way is to defeat the opposition, hence war. It is the only way to progress sometimes. Unlike many people is this community, I think religion has nothing to do with it at all; it is human nature to use a cause to achieve a goal. If all religion disappeared, it would simply be over something else: politics, land, power, etc. I think no matter how much we advance, this will never change. Even if we get to the point of a one world government, many citizens would still be unhappy and problems would still occur. Someone else said it pretty well, as long as humanity has free will, there will never be world peace.

Deleted
    Of course this problem can be fixed. You just need people to actually belive in a peaceful solution and then vote or get in power people who also belive in a peaceful solution. Then you also need to make people understand it isn't an "us" (as in us europeans or us americans or us japanese etc people) vs "them" (generally another country or group).

When that happens we'll have peace. But... that will take a while. Another 250 years at minimum.