Page 17 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    In this thread alone on various pages though less extreme then in the past(which i sadly seem to suck at looking up) there is your basically saying that image you posted may as well be gospel and dispelling what anyone says to deny it. How you seem to at least come across as even semi venomously reacting to other peoples posts and so on.

All in all you seem deadset in your views and unwilling to see that others may have a point a well.
    Your only 'point' is that you hate your sister and that you don't think rape or attempted rape happens as often as the studies linked in thread, but have presented no counter evidence. Then you make a middle-ground fallacy attempt, and now you try some ad homenim attacks.

If you disagree with Semaphore, POST WHY. POST SOMETHING, ANYTHING, THAT SUPPORTS YOUR POINT. If you are right, it should be rather easy to find data to support you.

Quote Originally Posted by Arganis View Post
    There's no reason to live in fear at all if you do things correctly and that's the HARD COLD TRUTH.

I'm not saying there aren't situations in life where there's nothing you could do to prevent tragedy and where you're anything but deserving of you fate, actually to be clear I want to say I never think rape is justified, at all, ever, even if the girl is a raging hoe on oxycontin. But in life you have to take responsibility for the choices you make and by that I mean, if your idea of romance is flowers and sunshine then you probably shouldn't be at that club where girls give blowjobs under the table and everybody is about as intoxicated as Mel Gibson on his way home. On the other hand if that's cool with you, then yes you better watch out and to me that's not abnormal in any way (again not condoning the act here).
    Who gave you the right to determine what is the correct way for someone else to live their life?

You are pretty much saying that if someone doesn't live in a way you approve of they deserve to be raped. Can you really not see how messed up that is. NOBODY deserves to be raped ever. Regardless of their choices and what you think of them.

And stop trying to backpedal by saying you're not condoning rape (seriously, your post is like reading one of those 'I'm not racist but I really hate black people' comments). You are condoning rape every time you say it's the victim's fault because of their choices. It is not, no matter what choices the victim makes, no matter what they wear, or whatever else you want to use as an excuse. If consent is not there it is not there, regardless of whatever choices the person previously made that night/week/whenever. Rape is the rapists fault because of their choices. Those are the people who should be held responsible.
    Last edited by Windfury; 2013-02-11 at 11:58 AM.

In this thread alone on various pages though less extreme then in the past(which i sadly seem to suck at looking up) there is your basically saying that image you posted may as well be gospel and dispelling what anyone says to deny it.
    I like how you can't quote me saying anything like that. It's almost like you're bashing me using things that's all in your head.

Oh wait.

dispelling what anyone says to deny it
    While I don't claim it to be 100% accurate, the graphic is fundamentally correct. No one has provided any evidence otherwise. You see, merely asserting an opinon, which seems to be all you are capable of doing, does not constitute a valid argument.

All in all you seem deadset in your views and unwilling to see that others may have a point a well.
    You'd have to actually prove a point, before you can complain about me not seeiing it. As it is you're basically complaining I wasn't convinced by people who have cited no evidence whatsoever.

Great rational mindset you got there.

Rape is rape either way! Everyone should be scared.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Thanks for the article. You are informative as always. People forget that Feminism is a political movement with political goals just like every other movement. They have their own agenda which they defend using myths and pity.
    Conveniently ignoring the very next paragraph which said:

"The graphic overestimates the number of false accusations. This infographic is intended to drive home how rare false accusations are, and yet, because of a simple error, it overestimates how many actually occur."

Which, incidentally, is the primary purpose of the graphic to begin with: to show how rare false accusaton is.

Some more statistics, with source:

1 out of every 6 American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime (14.8% completed rape; 2.8% attempted rape).

17.7 million American women have been victims of attempted or completed rape.

9 of every 10 rape victims were female in 2003.

Lifetime rate of rape /attempted rape for women by race:
    •All women: 17.6%
    •White women: 17.7%
    •Black women: 18.8%
    •Asian Pacific Islander women: 6.8%
    •American Indian/Alaskan women: 34.1%
    •Mixed race women: 24.4%

- National Institute of Justice & Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. Prevalence, Incidence and Consequences of Violence Against Women Survey. 1998.
    - U.S. Department of Justice. 2003 National Crime Victimization Survey. 2003.

Percent of women who experienced an attempted or completed rape: 16 %

- U.S. Bureau of Justice , CDC, Koss, Gidycz & Wisniewski College Study, United Nations (2012)

So, based on the comments so far in the thread (after Semaphore's posted statistics), I assume some of you will choose not to believe these numbers either. You will probably dismiss them as "feminazi propaganda" conjured up to subdue the male population.

And yes, these are statistics. Which means there will be error margins and noone can prove them to be accurate. That is how statistics work. They are an estimate. I also apologize if they have been posted already.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirjotusvihe View Post
    How on earth can you compare people getting drunk or being otherwise careless to raping someone when it comes to "having no moral compass?"
    I'm not comparing people being drunk or careless to rape. That's in your own mind. I'm talking about shit individuals doing shit things. See here's the problem, imagine you have a friend, his name is Joe. What Joe likes to do is do drugs, get really really really drunk, pick fights and have sex. Then you have a friend, his name is Jack and he likes to have interesting conversations, most of what he does is study and he hopes to someday have a wife and kids. Now to you Jack is really boring and uptight, so hey' better hang out with Joe, he's lots of fun. Well I'm sorry to say that, while in no way is any kind of crime justified, when you pick Joe, you're taking risk and the fact people refuse to see correlation is plain hypocrisy.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

The best thing I can say to the OP is get too know a few rape victims well and you will gain understanding.

Every girl I have ever met who was raped was:

Raped by someone they trusted or should have been able too. Friends, fathers, minister, a cop.
    Raped in a place that should have been safe. Inside a school, in a friends house, in a church, in a police car!
    Raped in to be taught some sort of ridiculous "lesson"... raped for looking at other guys, raped for dressing slutty, raped for "looking like you want it".

1 out of the 4 attempted to get her attacker punished. He was charged with a minor assault charge, spent a single night in jail, 1 year probation.

I don't think the majority of rapes are taking place in dark alleys with complete strangers, I think most the time its somewhere you feel safe, and someone you are suppose to be able to trust. If you can't trust them, imagine how strangers must look...

Is there even a point to this thread anymore?

The reason women are so "afraid" is because there's always a chance that men will violate them if they get the chance.
    It's harsh, but it's the truth. And it also stains the reputation of us remaining, normal men. I would crush their nuts if I ever had the chance to.

Does that answer your question?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Windfury View Post
    Who gave you the right to determine what is the correct way for someone else to live their life?

You are pretty much saying that if someone doesn't live in a way you approve of they deserve to be raped. Can you really not see how messed up that is. NOBODY deserves to be raped ever. Regardless of their choices and what you think of them.

And stop trying to backpedal by saying you're not condoning rape (seriously, your post is like reading one of those 'I'm not racist but I really hate black people' comments). You are condoning rape every time you say it's the victim's fault because of their choices. It is not, no matter what choices the victim makes, no matter what they wear, or whatever else you want to use as an excuse. If consent is not there it is not there, regardless of whatever choices the person previously made that night/week/whenever. Rape is the rapists fault because of their choices. Those are the people who should be held responsible.
    Think what you want. I don't condone rape. If you think just because I say some situations put you at risk and you should realize that, then I'm condoning rape, that's your problem.

And no rape is never justified and should always be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, even if the girl isn't a nun. The point here is too many people in our society behave like total animals, or all but morally bankrupt and then when something bad happens to them, they whine about how awful society is. I'm sorry but morality isn't just some bullshit in the bible. Sometimes being a better human being will actually prevent you from falling into really desperate situations. That's it.
    Last edited by Arganis; 2013-02-11 at 12:07 PM.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwaidan View Post
    Some more statistics, with source:

1 out of every 6 American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime (14.8% completed rape; 2.8% attempted rape).

17.7 million American women have been victims of attempted or completed rape.

9 of every 10 rape victims were female in 2003.

Lifetime rate of rape /attempted rape for women by race:
    •All women: 17.6%
    •White women: 17.7%
    •Black women: 18.8%
    •Asian Pacific Islander women: 6.8%
    •American Indian/Alaskan women: 34.1%
    •Mixed race women: 24.4%

- National Institute of Justice & Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. Prevalence, Incidence and Consequences of Violence Against Women Survey. 1998.
    - U.S. Department of Justice. 2003 National Crime Victimization Survey. 2003.

Percent of women who experienced an attempted or completed rape: 16 %

- U.S. Bureau of Justice , CDC, Koss, Gidycz & Wisniewski College Study, United Nations (2012)

So, based on the comments so far in the thread (after Semaphore's posted statistics), I assume some of you will choose not to believe these numbers either. You will probably dismiss them as "feminazi propaganda" conjured up to subdue the male population.

And yes, these are statistics. Which means there will be error margins and noone can prove them to be accurate. That is how statistics work. They are an estimate. I also apologize if they have been posted already.
    No these look rather realistic and closer to what i'd expect. Wouldn't be surprised if these are a bit low in fact.

Still would be interesting to be able to know the real rates.

Deleted
    I just realised that in this thread women are both blamed for being afraid of being raped as well as being careless if they get raped.

Anyway, I tend to avoid groups of men when I am alone. I only avoid single men if they are drunk or otherwise appear threatening. Then again, I am part of minority that is more likely than avarage to get assaulted (I'm MtF transsexual). Though the change to get raped is lower: 'only' 12%.

Then again I have been more careful lately after a womans corpse was found in a river some 200m from where I live few months ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grading View Post
    Is there even a point to this thread anymore?

The reason women are so "afraid" is because there's always a chance that men will violate them if they get the chance.
    It's harsh, but it's the truth. And it also stains the reputation of us remaining, normal men. I would crush their nuts if I ever had the chance to.

Does that answer your question?

I'dd o worse then crush nuts myself..But then i'm rather old fashioned(read barbaric) when actually pissed enough to become violent.

No these look rather realistic and closer to what i'd expect.
    Yet when I posted similar figures (18.3%) you call me a radical extremist who's obviously too emotional for you to respect. Mmhmm.

I'dd o worse then crush nuts myself..But then i'm rather old fashioned(read barbaric) when actually pissed enough to become violent.
    Well, I wouldn't want to get too zealous, but taking their nuts would be an appropriate tax for their actions.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Conveniently ignoring the very next paragraph which said:

"The graphic overestimates the number of false accusations. This infographic is intended to drive home how rare false accusations are, and yet, because of a simple error, it overestimates how many actually occur."

Which, incidentally, is the primary purpose of the graphic to begin with: to show how rare false accusaton is.
    It also overestimates the number of reported rapes and suggest that every rapists raped only 1 woman (driving their numbers up). It's intended to pull on the heart strings of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    It also overestimates the number of reported rapes and suggest that every rapists raped only 1 woman (driving their numbers up). It's intended to pull on the heart strings of people.
    It's intended to show that false accusations aren't nowhere near as common as people like to say it is. And it is fundamentally accurate in that regard. The rest is essentially nitpicking, really.

15+ Year Old Account
    No you didn't.
    Yes, and your point is? You're only seeing what you want to see. I say: don't be a shit human being and there'll be less chances for shit to happen to you. You read: rape is ok because you're a shit human being. But that's not at all what I said.

To be honest I don't expect most people to agree with me. Today we live in a day and age where morality is basically "thou' shalt not do what is punishable by law" but everything else "that's hanky dory!!!" Well I'm sorry but I'm just not one of those people. To me there's no cause without effect, so some things you do, while not all justifying anything or making it ok in any way, will simply increase the probability of bad things happening to you. That's all there is to it.

Call me names all you want and go on about how much of a sociopath I am, it won't change the fact that when you chose to be a crappy human being you're increasing the chances of having crappy things happen to you. The End.
    Last edited by Arganis; 2013-02-11 at 12:18 PM.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

Deleted
    As a man, I really don't mind if they're very defensive, it doesn't impact me in any way and they feel safer. If I go out at 1am I'm pretty much going to assume every group of 4 youths is going to attempt to mug me even though I grew up here and I was in a small group that hung around after midnight just like them, we never hurt anyone.

Deleted
    It's intended to show that false accusations aren't nowhere near as common as people like to say it is. And it is fundamentally accurate in that regard. The rest is essentially nitpicking, really.
    This is why I dislike people exaggarating statistics even if its for the good cause (as in here). People immediately get suspicious of any futher data once they see one clue of tampering or inaccuracy.