Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Well yes but we're also entering an age where nukes can be smaller and smaller and we have to deal with nonstate hyper religious entities that aren't playing with a full deck every time.

Not saying MAD is useless, but it certainly doesn't hold the same strength with terrorists that it does with the USSR.
    Hence the need to restrict nuclear proliferation (i.e. bomb Iran).
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    It's a bullshit concept that has prevented general war for the past 60 or so years. So...
    Seeing it like that, it prevented war for 53 years, and now it doesn't really work anymore since about a quarter century.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DieFichte View Post
    Seeing it like that, it prevented war for 53 years, and now it doesn't really work anymore since about a quarter century.
    Please learn the distinction between 'war' and 'general war'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

A nuke is a nuke. And even if they're weaker than those bombs they'll still kill millions in a go.
    if you want to talk a dirty bomb then by all means. if you mean actual bang, flash, death. no.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Shark View Post
    if you want to talk a dirty bomb then by all means. if you mean actual bang, flash, death. no.
    Any bomb that can create an earthquake at that magnitude could still kill millions in new york or LA.

Hence the need to restrict nuclear proliferation (i.e. bomb Iran).
    meanwhile they are even further behind NK. but please lets kill the guys who even said having nukes is a bad thing. /drinks the mainstream news koolaid

I don't see what the big deal is with the DPRK. They can't even get their Type-o-Dong up.

As for drones in the US:

http://raybowman.files.wordpress.com...pg?w=300&h=214

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Threatening N Korea wouldn't make things better. If anything it's China that'll have the final say, since they are essentially keeping the retarded half-brother DPRK alive.
    China does NOT want american forces so close.

Of course, if N Korea tries to actually deploy a nuclear bomb in an aggressive manner, it'll be completely annihilated. And China doesn't want 20+ million refugees streaming in.
    I think people here drastically overestimate the ´friendship´ between China and NK. That ended 20 years ago. My guess is China would block any UN military action, but after the last 10 years, they would do nothing militarily to intervene. China is not stupid, they are not going to start any type of WW3 and have themsevles sided with NK (basically a nothing country) against the west. China is far too capitalistic than that.

Any bomb that can create an earthquake at that magnitude could still kill millions in new york or LA.
    which is why we have a network meant to knock whatever NK has duct tapped together out before it can even reach alaska. if they wanted to do damage general warfare with what they have been supplied over the years would do the job. but whatever rinky dink they have is not going anywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please learn the distinction between 'war' and 'general war'.
    There could be a general war between what major powers? The US, China and Russia? (Seeing that all 3 of them are not really interested in anything like that?) Still it's outdated for about a quarter century. (It wouldn't have been if China took a different direction, but well, they didn't.)

Attacking them would be silly, nuke them and watch every neighbouring country including Japan and China turn on the US due to radiation poisoning spreading across asia due to winds. Now that would start WWIII....

But if you do an attack that is too small you will never be certain you have destroyed any hidden facilities that house nuclear weapons, then all they have to do is hit the fire button.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    We would never outright attack North Korea without any cause, while China isn't exactly their ally, they do make a lot of money off of North Korea, so they're allies in a way.

Quite frankly, any nation with nuclear missiles are not a threat to the US, our only real threat at this point is ourselves and small nuclear devices. If North Korea decided to put that nuclear weapon on a boat and somehow explode it in Oakland or Los Angeles, that could hurt, but if they decided to shoot a missile across the Pacific, it would sink into the Pacific.

North Korea however is a threat to South Korea and Japan. It's the same reason Iran is a "threat", besides oil, they're close enough to allies.

Unless North Korea somehow provoked us, and somehow China decided to like them enough to go to war with us, there would be like a few year war with a 1:1000 US:NK death ratio. Nothing to be worried about.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Once the cat got out of the bag, everyone has to have them. As long as there are people, or nations, on Earth that want to fight, everyone else has to have nuclear weapons because the other guys could have them too.
    The problem with this argument is exactly why there can never be peace in the middle east. The people who are causing the problems ( and who will detonate the next nuclear bomb) are not people who have a country, or a place that can be retaliated against. It won´t be a gov´t that we can later destroy.. it won´t be the President of Russia who has family living in Moscow.... it will be group of men who have nothing left to lose. No country will ever bomb another country using a nuclear weapon.

Nope, it will be a group of Saudis, or something like that. exactly like 9-11. If 9-11 had been a nuclear bomb, we would not have been able to nuke Afghanistan or Iraq... and the people who detonated the bomb wouldn´t have had any care anway who we bombed..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    "is he really on our side"
    can i really take you seriously?
    No.

No reason to. He's one of the "Everything Obama does is automatically wrong" crowd. And it's clear by the "is he really on our side" line.

Bombing N Korea would be pointless. It would initiate yet another foreign war, get a lot of people killed (on both sides) and waste even more money we don't have. North Korea is a threat to no one but itself.
    Putin khuliyo

Ah, paranoia. Too funny.

North Korea isn't going to nuke the US. The United States of America will destroy itself like always. Its been on that path for several decades now. Even now as I type this, more Americans are joining the homeless, the unemployed. If I were you, I'd move to Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    What do you expect Obama to do? Swim over to North Korea, punch Kim Jung-Un right in the mouth, then carry the nuclear device back to the White House where him and Tony Stark will drink tepid coffee while converting it into a Obama-Suit?
    I'd go to a theater and watch the movie.

They would never reach LA or NY. We've had over 50 years of time to develop methods of detecting ICBM launches and disabling the missiles in-flight. Anything NK develops in terms of launch capability is going to be 50 years behind and with the new test there's not going to be an inch of their territory that isn't being constantly monitored for launch activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Shark View Post
    which is why we have a network meant to knock whatever NK has duct tapped together out before it can even reach alaska. if they wanted to do damage general warfare with what they have been supplied over the years would do the job. but whatever rinky dink they have is not going anywhere.
    If they were attempting to attack America that would also fail. The people who need to actually worry are South Koreans.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2013-02-15 at 04:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think Obama being on google + will stop the US from retaliating at all, if they do retaliate.
    I doubt Obama is turning his phone off and locking the door to do this, if an emergency happens he'll still be contacted immediately. As for them flying drones at NK right now, if they're going to do that it's not like Obama will be piloting the drones him self. He might give the order to do so but again being on google + won't stop him from doing that.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    After everything that has been said in this thread, we definitely need a picture of Obama with that gun riding a nuclear missile to North Korea. And one with a drone of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't mean to be modding over here, but just pointing out that the original poster has ceased responding to his own topic, and we already have a thread pertaining to North Korea's recent Nuclear tests.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.