Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shokter View Post
    Pretty tough to walk the line between 'that game is overrated' and 'lots of people seem to enjoy this game I did not'...
    I agree with this guy. Tis a matter of opinion but an interesting topic of such regardless.
    OT - Monopoly. I don't see what all the fuss is about, seems it always ends in violence.

how is D3 overrated, I thought everyone agreed that it's shit?

Civ 5. I despise that game. I was so excited for it, I bought it the day-of and loaded it on my computer the moment I got home from work. Two hours later, my jaw was dropping due to the immensely sub-optimal programming (no turn-based game should have so many performance issues), the incredible number of bugs, the awful design choices, completely broken diplomacy, and the overwhelming boredom it caused. Civ4 was, and is, one of my favorite games ever. Civ5 was like the ugly stepchild that you keep hidden under the stairs, and no amount of patches has been able to fix that.

It boggles my mind that the game got such good reviews on release, aside from Tom Chick's prescient review. It boggles me further that there's still a fair-sized crowd that claims it's the best Civ ever, when that's so dearly not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyavi View Post
    In this thread: 500 people who dont understand the difference between Overrated and Hype-Letdown.
    I struggle with that topic from time to time so please, do elaborate...

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    Overrated: a lot of people say the game is good, but it's notmactually all that impressive
    Example for me: final fantasy seven. Even at the time it just didn't do much for me.

Hype letdown: everyone expected the game to be good, then it tirned out to be not so good.
    Example: duke nukem forever. That game was never going to live up to its hype.

WoW, was a good MMORPG back in the days, now its just casual crap.

Final Fantasy 7, heh.
    Hi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    Overrated is where loads of people seem to love something that is blatantly average or bad.

People in this thread however are listing things that everyone DOES agree is shit OR things that are pretty decent but were to hyped up pre-launch.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePackness View Post
    Zelda is one of the roots to gaming these days. With OoT it gave us open world play, lock on target and much more that games have adapted ever since. Also that the Zelda franchise itself deliver not only long and great adventure games, but it deliver games that fall into interest and doesn't get burned out, hits the highest review scores, and at the same time adds new innovative designs.

On top of that, the high expectations people have with a new Zelda game, is always fulfilled - Skyward Sword being an example of one of the greatest games of all time.
    Haha, no.

It was probally the worst in the series.

Deleted
    The Final Fantasy franchise, they are good games...but some people act like they are the god of games.

Quote Originally Posted by Stocking View Post
    Haha, no.

It was probally the worst in the series.
    /Highfive

It truely was...while still being a good game, if you compare it to the others in the zelda universe it was crap.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread is for haters.
    I will personally seek out and destroy anyone who talks shit on Halo.
    ^reason being that Halo was my very first game and is the reason I am such an avid gamer today.
    Also, why do so many people hop on the oh I'm a pc gamer and fuck consoles wagon?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    FF7. It was ok, but it wasn't godly and doesn't deserve the praise it gets.
    Final Fantasy 10. Rage if you want, I didn't care for the story and tidus made me want to eat my own shoes.
    The Elder Scrolls series. Not because it was bad or over-rated per se, the whole series is just outrageously over-hyped and fangasmed over by many.
    All sports games, all of them, especially those golf ones. Go outside and play sports yourself. And god damnit Tiger Woods stop fucking cheating.
    Halo. Honestly let's beat this dead horse some more.
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quite a few FF7 haters here. All I have to say it, haters gonna hate! If could have FF7 bedsheets I'll sleep in that shit like a man! And yes, I've played 6 (awesome game btw)
    I really didn't like 8 though, it was very eh to me for some reason. But hey, we all have our tastes in games. I still don't understand why FF9 wasn't considered one of the best. In my book, it comes in #2 behind FF7 in terms of awesome storyline and characters. *shrug*

OT: Halo and CoD franchise.
    Minecraft (I really don't get it)
    Skyrim
    GW2
    WoW
    Dishonored
    Guitar Hero or any of those types of games
    GTA franchise
    FF10. It was a decent game, and Tidus as a main character sucked. The story wasn't that amazing and neither were the characters imo. Also that's where the linearity of FF's started.

There's prob more but I can't think of em. Doesn't mean I don't or didn't enjoy these games btw...but overrated as hell imo.
    Last edited by Beefsquatch; 2013-02-17 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Final Fantasy 7. People orgasm over the very mention of the name, while I hated it. I loved, and adored Final Fantasy 8. It is one of the greatest games i've ever played.
    While I think FF8 had a MUCH better story, The game play wasn't as good as FFVII. Sorry having to "gather" magic from monsters was pretty fucking stupid. However FFVII/VIII are two of my favorite games of all time. Only thing better is mass effect1/2 in my personal opinion. But that's only because of the investment into the shepard character. Going back to VII I feel like the materia and all the different weapon bosses in the game to kill were so much more fun and rewarding than anything FFVIII had. So it's really a toss up.

OT:

Call of Duty(everything beyond cod4:MW)
    medal of honor(only cause EA overhypes it)
    Duke Nukem
    SWTOR
    Gran Turismo
    Assassins Creed(Don't get me wrong I enjoy the story but the game play is overall bland)
    Diablo 3(only because my expectations were way too high to begin with)
    Guild Wars 2(sorry but it really is over-rated, the pve sucks and the pvp while balanced is meh)

---------- Post added 2013-02-17 at 04:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sargerus View Post
    Half Life 2
    Assassins Creed 2
    Shadow of Colossus
    Tomb Raider series

/flameshield
    I can agree with AC2 and tomb raider(although the new TR does look awesome). However the other two choices I think you are nuts. More so with Shadow of Colossus. That game was so unique and amazing. I wish they would make a legit revamp in PS3 graphics with that game.

People are listing games that millions of people love and still play...hardly overrated...just not liked by the individual. Anyways..

There was a game that came out for original xbox that got 9.9'ed by ign; hailed as the greatest xbox game ever....and it ended up completly sucking...

Don't even remember the name of it...

Most over rated game of all time? I think so...just don't remember the name of it...

Looked it up...

JADE EMPIRE
    Last edited by mklovin; 2013-02-17 at 04:26 PM.

FF7
    Halo series
    Uncharted series
    Braid
    Beyond Good and Evil
    The new Batman games
    Pretty much anything made by EA

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by valliant13 View Post
    While I think FF8 had a MUCH better story, The game play wasn't as good as FFVII. Sorry having to "gather" magic from monsters was pretty fucking stupid. However FFVII/VIII are two of my favorite games of all time. Only thing better is mass effect1/2 in my personal opinion. But that's only because of the investment into the shepard character. Going back to VII I feel like the materia and all the different weapon bosses in the game to kill were so much more fun and rewarding than anything FFVIII had. So it's really a toss up.

OT:

Call of Duty(everything beyond cod4:MW)
    medal of honor(only cause EA overhypes it)
    Duke Nukem
    SWTOR
    Gran Turismo
    Assassins Creed(Don't get me wrong I enjoy the story but the game play is overall bland)
    Diablo 3(only because my expectations were way too high to begin with)
    Guild Wars 2(sorry but it really is over-rated, the pve sucks and the pvp while balanced is meh)
    They still make MoH games? Shit I haven't played a MoH since Allied Assault (MoHAA) with the breakthrough xpac

Diablo 3
    Pokemon after Emerald version
    Black Ops
    Crysis

Not a game, but Bronies. This shit needs to stop. For real.

Quote Originally Posted by Asseymcgee View Post
    They still make MoH games? Shit I haven't played a MoH since Allied Assault (MoHAA) with the breakthrough xpac
    they pulled it after the last game cause it's sales were horrid and its reviews were pretty terrible. Imade the mistake of buying the second to last one(due to loving the ww2 ones thinking it would be good...boy was i wrong)

---------- Post added 2013-02-17 at 04:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak View Post
    Diablo 3
    Pokemon after Emerald version
    Black Ops
    Crysis
    Not a game, but Bronies. THis shit needs to stop. Forreal.
    I don't think people think crysis is a good game, i think overall people play it because even 6 years later crysis 1 pushes computers hardware pretty decently. I mean shit what other game do you know of is still a benchmark game 6 years after release?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by valliant13 View Post
    they pulled it after the last game cause it's sales were horrid and its reviews were pretty terrible. Imade the mistake of buying the second to last one(due to loving the ww2 ones thinking it would be good...boy was i wrong)

---------- Post added 2013-02-17 at 04:27 PM ----------

I don't think people think crysis is a good game, i think overall people play it because even 6 years later crysis 1 pushes computers hardware pretty decently. I mean shit what other game do you know of is still a benchmark game 6 years after release?
    Yeah I hear ya, I would've probably bought it too because MoHAA was just amazing. I could play it online, literally, all day long. Hell, if people would still log on the servers I'd play it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Asseymcgee View Post
    Yeah I hear ya, I would've probably bought it too because MoHAA was just amazing. I could play it online, literally, all day long. Hell, if people would still log on the servers I'd play it right now.
    Ya i fucking loved MoHAA. It's such a shame that what imo was a great ww2 franchise got turned to shit when converting to modern warfare.