Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightelfsb View Post
    I will haft to say any wii-game and motion controler game's really. I don't see the hype. Sluggish controle, not really exciting after some time, and so forth.
    They aren't really overrated. Most games only use motion controls for a couple things at best and, in general, most people bitch about how much they hate the very idea of motion controls in any form on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I also don't get what the fuss over mario, zelda and final fantasy is :P

I grew up with crash bandicoot, sonic and spyro though, i guess it's just the same child hood feelings i have for those games which other have for the ones above..

quake 2, counterstrike, anything moba (i cannot, for the life of me, grasp the appeal of those things ;p), anything bethesda

Deleted
    Final Fantasy 7 AND 8 (seriously? Final Fantasy 1,3,9,10 and 13 are much better!)
    Minecraft
    DayZ
    League of Legends
    Last edited by mmoc0f4b7c4548; 2013-02-17 at 09:32 PM.

Deleted
    Seriously people calling FF13 better than 7 and 8.... did you even play the games? they are hardly comparable. FF7/8 are more oldschool japrpg style while FF13 is a total different game, more like an action-adventure than rpg. It's like saying metal gear solid is better than tetris, uncomparable tbh.

Most Zelda games,
    Every elder scrolls game since Daggerfall,
    Most modern FPS (CoD, Halo, Medal of honor, etc) they literally are closer to the same than most sports games.
    I can't put Madden on the list because its the only game of its type for the most part. It is the best Football game out there, find another one and tell me otherwise it can't be overrated. Sadly it still has more changes than most FPS lol.
    The Sims.
    Angry Birds
    I think calling FF7 overrated is a bad decision, its a time piece. Best story telling of its time, best graphics of its time, game play was similar to all previous FF, but the Materia system is the base plate for all FF games since. Also, had more mini-games than any other RPG at the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Half Life 2. Granted I played these games years after they were first released, so while they may have been great for their time, they weren't nearly as great as everyone made them out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Exactly. People fail to understand that Developers know to make games evolve with an evolving/growing audience. Not only is there a larger/new audience for Elder Scrolls games, the old audience is a decade older. Despite all the nostalgia, most of the "old school Morrowind players" wouldn't be able to put up with that same stuff in a new game.
    I would actually love for an Elder Scrolls game to return to a Morrowind-type format. At least concerning stats and enemy scaling/spawning, as those are my biggest complaints. Probably my largest complaint about Oblivion and Skyrim is that the game world doesn't truly feel alive to me, because of how the enemies scale. The game just won't let you get in over your head.

Allow me to elaborate. In Oblivion/Skyrim, every enemy spawn is either lower level than you, or it's brought to your level, or your level +x in the case of Oblivion. Because of this, you can be certain that any dungeon you go into is, at most, going to be kind of tough. In Morrowind, there's plenty of spawns that are brought to your level, but there's also plenty that are static. Because of this, when you're low to mid levels, (particularly 1-8) you're sort of going into the unknown whenever you go into a dungeon, especially on the first or second playthrough. That cave could be filled with rats and bandits armed with iron daggers, or there could be a Dremora Lord with a Daedric battle axe, or a level 30 ash vampire ready to one shot you. It adds an extra level of immersion for me when it feels like enemies are already there, doing their own thing with their own story, instead of just being a byproduct of my level.

Imagine if in Skyrim there were certain tombs where you could find things like Draugr Death Overlords from level 1. It would make you think twice about going into a dungeon, maybe give you some incentive to be more cautious and not rush into every room to see what you can poke with your sword.

For me, story wasn't actually one of my complaints with Skyrim. In fact, I felt like I was one of the few people that had nothing bad to say about it. I do recognize in retrospect that the pacing could have been better, and I feel like a lot of gamers would have had a serious WTF moment if they just kept the whole Dragonborn thing hidden, even if just for a little while. I like the story though because it was just one big nerdgasm of lore to me. A lot of players that were new to the series probably didn't have the same experience, but every plot point made me squeal with joy. "I get to use an Elder Scroll? FUCK YES!" "I get to go to Sovngarde? DOUBLE FUCK YES!" It's very possible to understand a lot of Skyrim's plot before even starting up the game, just with knowledge from previous games, so for me it was filled with awesome nerd moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    I would actually love for an Elder Scrolls game to return to a Morrowind-type format. At least concerning stats and enemy scaling/spawning, as those are my biggest complaints. Probably my largest complaint about Oblivion and Skyrim is that the game world doesn't truly feel alive to me, because of how the enemies scale. The game just won't let you get in over your head.
    Perhaps although I feel you have a bit more freedom if the enemies scale. If the difficulty is static, then there definitely be areas in which will be blocked for you.

Also when you say return back to Morrowind stats, I hope you don't mean skills as well. I wouldn't be able to stand going back to jumping all of the time to get my athletics skill up, rather irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Perhaps although I feel you have a bit more freedom if the enemies scale. If the difficulty is static, then there definitely be areas in which will be blocked for you.

Also when you say return back to Morrowind stats, I hope you don't mean skills as well. I wouldn't be able to stand going back to jumping all of the time to get my athletics skill up, rather irritating.
    While you do have more freedom, I liked that some areas were a big fuck you to low levels. And nah, I don't mean skills per se, I was more of talking about attributes. With every new game in the series they have in some way nerfed attributes, followed by removing them completely in Skyrim. Even Daggerfall and Morrowind are guilty of this. Purely speaking from an attribute standpoint, I think Arena had the best system. I loved the fact that every stat was important. The only stats that you could somewhat do without as a heavy combat character were personality and intelligence, and it still sucked to go without those.

And it was acrobatics that increased from spam jumping. Athletics was auto-running into a wall. Though personally, when I replay Morrowind I don't bother with that shit. Since I know where everything is now I just go hit up the master trainers when I decide I want have max acrobatics and athletics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashkiman View Post
    so in other words it's a thread for hipsters who ran out of non-mainstream things to do
    Thats kind of how I feel... I feel like most of these people didn't play these games when they were current.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post

And it was acrobatics that increased from spam jumping. Athletics was auto-running into a wall. Though personally, when I replay Morrowind I don't bother with that shit. Since I know where everything is now I just go hit up the master trainers when I decide I want have max acrobatics and athletics.
    Yeah it's a been a good long while since I've played. I just remember spam jumping for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Final Fantasy VII. People rave about it all the time on other forums/chats I go to, but I can't stand that game. The Materia system is uninspired, the cast is unlikable, the plot was boring, the big "twist" at the end of Disc 1 was done better in Phantasy Star II and again in Phantasy Star IV, the villain was an absolute disappointment, and the main character was about as likable and interesting as burnt toast.

---------- Post added 2013-02-17 at 05:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    I think calling FF7 overrated is a bad decision, its a time piece. Best story telling of its time, best graphics of its time, game play was similar to all previous FF, but the Materia system is the base plate for all FF games since. Also, had more mini-games than any other RPG at the time.
    FF7 was pretty, and had good music, but that's about it. FFIV and FFVI had better storytelling, FFV and FFII had more compelling and unique character progression, and if a game's selling point is the minigames, that implies the main game itself isn't enough to stand on its own.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sargerus View Post
    Shadow of Colossus
    Interesting choice. I thought that was pretty much a masterpiece, and very much deserving of its hype.

Deleted
    Call of Duty definately. I still play it so this may seem hypocritical but the only experience of the game just keeps getting worse and worse with each successive release since MW2, yet the all the hype and sales records seem to be broken each time. So much crap been put in the game making it easier and easier to kill people, i.e target finders, hunter killers, guardians , sentries, lodestars, the list goes on. It wouldn't actually be too bad if these were hard to achieve but people get them every single game and sometimes its from shit like care packages -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Raintola View Post
    Any popular game obviously.
    Popular doesnt mean anything. Soccer is the most popular sport in the world yet I hate it unless its World Cup so to me its over rated. Hell cricket is the 2nd most popular sport in the world. Who the hell watches that?

Deleted
    Call of Duty
    Diablo 3 was overrated before it was released but it died like a king with delusions of grandeur

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    Interesting choice. I thought that was pretty much a masterpiece, and very much deserving of its hype.
    Can't speak for him, but I found the fights repetitive (with a few exceptions), riding around the landscape boring, and the controls iffy. It was a good game, but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Duruka View Post
    Can't speak for him, but I found the fights repetitive (with a few exceptions), riding around the landscape boring, and the controls iffy. It was a good game, but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece.
    This pretty much, its a good game but sometimes boring, it does not deserves God-King status among games IMO
    Last edited by Sargerus; 2013-02-18 at 12:06 AM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Half-Life 2. I was so excited for that game and it was really a let down. They put a lot of work into it, there was a lot of neat story stuff that you could stumble across while playing through the game, but the game itself just felt hollow to me.

Deus Ex HR. I remember getting and enjoying Deus Ex when I built my first gaming computer. I think it came with my graphics card. So I was pretty excited about DXHR and a bunch of my friends told me how awesome the game was. I think I played it for about 5 hours and then uninstalled it. Normally I'll try to play through at least half of a game before giving up on it, but I just couldn't do it with DXHR. The gameplay was okay, the story was there, and there was stuff to do, but it all felt so drawn out. It gave the illusion of "You can do anything!" but in reality it was "Play this way or you will die repeatedly and if, through skill, luck, or one of numerous bugs you do not die you'll see exactly how short each objective is and how much of the game is artificially extending the length of the story."

Dark Souls. The game itself was great, I'm not saying it was a bad game, but the difficulty was overhyped. The difficulty wasn't really the kind of challenge you can overcome so much as just being amazingly cheap most of the time.