Thread: Loud pop

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Loud pop

So I was playing a game (Diablo 3) and then all of a sudden I hear a loud pop, it made me jump I'll admit, but there was no smoke afterwards from anywhere in my computer but there was a faint smell that was off, hard to explain though it did smell SORT OF like something had burned but I don't know, I'm unsure on that one. So I try to see where the smell was coming from but it's impossible to tell because inside the case near my GPU, the smell is there and then the same smell inside the power supply though they're both not strong smells, it's a faint smell and they both smell more like dust rather than a burning smell.

My computer is not stuttering or chugging at all so that is another plus, maybe I was hearing a pop from somewhere else in my room? I'm not sure but I don't want to risk that. My computer still works 2 days later and over the course of those two days, every boot up has been just fine with no problems, same load time and all, I'm browsing the web as usual but I have not started up any sort of game, be it Diablo, Aion, Star Wars, Starcraft, WoW etc. because I'm worried I might make it MUCH worse. Any way to tell for sure where the pop came from? Is this a serious issue I should be really careful about?
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2013-02-15 at 06:34 PM.

Deleted
    If it were your computer that made that pop you wouldn't making this post on that rig anymore. It could've been anything really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    If it were your computer that made that pop you wouldn't making this post on that rig anymore. It could've been anything really.
    Is that so? I assumed there was small situations where computers would still run after a loud pop. Maybe you're right though, it could have been anything but it really surprised me when I heard the noise so that's what makes me doubt it was anything other than my computer. I do have a rabbit in my room so maybe he might have done something, or the air freshener that goes off every once in awhile, I'm still getting adjusted to that one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    Is that so? I assumed there was small situations where computers would still run after a loud pop.
    Last time I heard my PC pop it was my PSU's safety blowing.

Speakers mayhaps?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Speakers mayhaps?
    Speakers including headset? No that would have definitely upset my ears if it came from headset, if you mean stereo speakers and all that jazz, no I don't have any.

---------- Post added 2013-02-16 at 05:28 AM ----------

Is this concern valid or should I stop worrying since my computer is working just fine?

It could've been a capacitor in the computer somewhere, it doesn't have to ruin the whole computer it can work somewhat fine even if a few of them pop, but it will probably become unstable on high load.

Take a look inside the case and see if you can find any capacitors that look like this

Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    All the capacitors look untouched, like they were when they first came on the boards within the case. So maybe the pop occurred within the PSU? But wouldn't that also mean my computer would: a) Not able to boot up properly, b) Stutter and lag during normal tasks while using computer or c) Not boot up at all. I'm not experiencing any of those issues, but maybe there's something I'm missing here.

Trying to be extremely delicate with this situation as I don't want to screw up my rig.
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2013-02-15 at 06:59 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You may want to check the capacitors in your power supply... but to do so is a really touchy thing. If you choose to - be really careful with opening your power supply and don't touch anything in there.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    You may want to check the capacitors in your power supply... but to do so is a really touchy thing. If you choose to - be really careful with opening your power supply and don't touch anything in there.
    Is there any way to determine damage, if any without having to check inside the PSU? Opening a PSU scares the shit out of me.
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2013-02-15 at 07:26 PM.

Is there any way to determine damage, if any without having to check inside the PSU? Opening a PSU scares the shit out of me.
    First, what brand is your PSU?

10+ Year Old Account
    Thermaltake, though I'm really considering a well overdue replacement if it is in fact damaged inside

10+ Year Old Account
    Thermaltake, though I'm really considering a well overdue replacement if it is in fact damaged inside
    Oh boy oh boy...

I've never heard anything good about Thermaltake PSUs. Definitely a problem.

I bet it was the PSU now... In the likely situation you get a new one, go for one of the top level manufacturers.

SeaSonic
    Corsair (AX, TX, and HX lines)
    Enermax
    Antec
    SilverStone

These all make much higher quality PSUs.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Grew some balls and finally opened the PSU casing, no capacitors are damaged and I managed to clear out the dust. So now I'm confused as to what the hell that loud pop was.

Also, suggest me a PSU? My GPU is Radeon HD 5770, Processor is the AMD Phenom II x4 955, what kinda PSU would I want for that? When it comes to Watts so I'm not overdoing it. Personal opinion of your choice would be appreciated too
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2013-02-15 at 10:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally am all for the SeaSonic X Gold Series... the Corsair AXi line is pretty damn amazing, too.

I'm still wanting to know what capacitor blew... could it be one on the motherboard? GPU? Make sure you look all over your internals. Maybe even take as detailed pictures as you can and post them here so folks can take a look.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Grew some balls and finally opened the PSU casing, no capacitors are damaged and I managed to clear out the dust. So now I'm confused as to what the hell that loud pop was.

Also, suggest me a PSU? My GPU is Radeon HD 5770, Processor is the AMD Phenom II x4 955, what kinda PSU would I want for that? When it comes to Watts so I'm not overdoing it. Personal opinion of your choice would be appreciated too
    something must have burst. Your computer just doesn't make a loud pop cause nothing bad happened :/.

Also, a 450w PSU should be more than enough for you. Any of the brands above will do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I personally am all for the SeaSonic X Gold Series... the Corsair AXi line is pretty damn amazing, too.
    Do the Corsair AXi lines only come in 700-1000+ wattage or something?

I'm still wanting to know what capacitor blew... could it be one on the motherboard? GPU? Make sure you look all over your internals. Maybe even take as detailed pictures as you can and post them here so folks can take a look.
    I've checked every hidden away spot where Capacitors would be, no signs of damages. The GPU has no damaged capacitors either so it's really strange.

There is a AX650 as well, if you are looking for gold rated PSU Seasonic have them all the way down to ~300W.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

You don't need to shoot for an AX PSU to get one of decent quality. AX PSUs are pretty premium, like Cadillacs when you only need a Toyota to get to work.

Recommended PSUs List

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    You don't need to shoot for an AX PSU to get one of decent quality. AX PSUs are pretty premium, like Cadillacs when you only need a Toyota to get to work.

Recommended PSUs List
    That really looks more like a list of power supplies than power supplies that are of decent quality standards...
    ThermalTake TR2... Corsair GS...

I was merely listing my favorite ones.

But imo:

Anything from SeaSonic, Corsair's AX, TX, and HX lines, anything from Antec, anything from Enermax, and anything from SilverStone are all quality and you can't really go wrong with them.
    "A flower.