Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Red face I apparently crashed a major US bank yesterday lol (Scam Microsoft caller)

good ol microsoft scam callers!

"Microsoft": Hello im looking for James?
    me: Speaking!
    "Microsoft: Hi my names Alex and im calling from level 5 technical support team!
    Me: Level 5, never heard of you guys!
    "Microsoft": We're an top level team that deals with major problems
    me: Oh ok
    "Microsoft": Anyways, Im calling you today in regards to you computer, its been transmitting a signal thats caused a major US bank to shut its computer system down and i tracked your IP to this phone number!
    Me: really? well thats strange, considering i dont have a computer at all
    Microsoft: According to my infomation, Yes you do and i need to access your computer to fix the issue.
    Me: Tell me something, what sound does a truck make when reversing?
    Microsoft: A beep noise?
    *Hangs up*

Oh gee oh gee, I guess they discovered my secret plans to kill the major us banks....then again i dont know much about the major US banks as it is!
    Australian Oceanic Multi Class Veteran of the Burning Crusade Wars!
    Twitter: @Romiretv
    Youtube: RomireTv
    Twitchy: My Twitch

Oh shit man, you're gonna' be in SOOOOOO much trouble!

Gotta' love these type of calls. I wish I got them, I'd play a long for so long.

Sounds legit.
    And you can trust Microsoft

And you would have gotten away with it to. Your only mistake was admitting to the crime in an online forum.

Deleted
    i love screwing around with those guys, i usually just hang up but my brother stringed one along for near 15mins before. the guy on the phone was so desperate to get him to go on the computer.

10+ Year Old Account
    That was you I called?!

I wouldn't worry about it until a level 7 technician calls.
    Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -Thomas Jefferson

I'm guessing these scam call don't happen within the US? Cause I've never gotten one.

But do you run the Google!?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Romire View Post
    *Hangs up*
    Okay that's hilarious xD But yeah, obviously if someone CALLS you about shutting down a US bank you know shit has gotten serious.
    /sarcasm

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't had that scam yet, but every now and then I'll get calls and texts from someone claiming to be my mobile provider. They tell me that it's very important to contact them within 24 hours or else my account would be terminated. It was surprisingly well done though. I called my mobile provider and they didn't know anything about it, my bill was all paid up and everything. So I checked around on the internet and it seems that these people have been scamming people since 2010 or so.

So I called my mobile provider (It's one of the major ones) and I gave them all the information I had. The number that called me, the number the messages said to call, etc and they told me it was definitely a scam. Which I'd figured out already. It was kind of fun to google that number though, about 15 pages on one site of people saying that it's a scam and then 5 or 6 people saying it's totally legit. >.> Spot the scammers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Oh shit man, you're gonna' be in SOOOOOO much trouble!

Gotta' love these type of calls. I wish I got them, I'd play a long for so long.
    Just move to australia, and wait for a call
    Australian Oceanic Multi Class Veteran of the Burning Crusade Wars!
    Twitter: @Romiretv
    Youtube: RomireTv
    Twitchy: My Twitch

10+ Year Old Account
    I found that:

Hilarious.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    The first thing I would ask to someone calling with a reason like that would be: "Where did you get that number?"

You missed a great opportunity. I would have pretended to be doing what they said until they asked me to go to a website and then asked if they were related to Raj from The Big Bang Theory (because the guys in the videos of these types of scams always have Indian accents). I wonder how longer after I asked I could keep them on the phone?

Deleted
    While I find this shit absolutely hilarious (there's a lot of good ones on youtube), I think consider it unbelievable that there are people who actually call a phone and try to scam a person that way.

I've never heard of this happening in my country, thankfully.

10+ Year Old Account
    they are a holes for doing stuff like this and deserve to be messed with as much as possible, it may be funny when experienced people answer these calls but just imagine all the elderly people that have no idea about computers falling for it

How do you know it was microsoft if he just said his name was James. Did it say Microsoft on caller ID?

Personally I lack imagination...

I'd probably just go "NO THIS IS PATRICK" and then slam the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Romire View Post
    *Hangs up*
    Do your phones actually start beeping immediately after hanging up? Because I've only ever seen that in movies.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu