Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Honestly I think women wear makeup because most other women do nowadays, and if you look at a woman without makeup compared to others who have it on, she can appear tired/older/sickly looking. Personally I don't wear makeup to impress guys, and my boyfriend says I don't need to wear it, but it just makes me feel better even just going to the store when I know I look and feel fresh and healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Women have been wearing cosmetics for all of recorded history. Women want to look attractive and cosmetics do that to some extent. It's not a big freaking mystery.
    recorded history is few and far and not always accurate, but with common sense you can realize that ancient humans did not have cosmetics unless you believe that the first pair of humans to mate threw mud on their face to look pretty

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpocrates View Post
    recorded history is few and far and not always accurate, but with common sense you can realize that ancient humans did not have cosmetics unless you believe that the first pair of humans to mate threw mud on their face to look pretty

Um...

No

and probably yes

are you really suggesting that the first humans to mate are part of recorded history?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fender010 View Post
    "You call those cheap implants boobs?! Those aren't boobs! They're lies!" -Stewie Griffin
    Totally

they go UNDER the muscle, UNDER it, otherwise they look all fake and silly.
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    Um...

No

and probably yes

are you really suggesting that the first humans to mate are part of recorded history?
    no you are seeing my response out of context

Dragonix80 - Males species are visible creatures and they get turned on by the beauty of females species, their body, their face, and so on.
    Me - Males can get turned on by Females without makeup, otherwise we wouldn't even exist today.
    Mormolyce - Women have been wearing cosmetics for all of recorded history. Women want to look attractive and cosmetics do that to some extent. It's not a big freaking mystery.
    Me- recorded history is few and far and not always accurate, but with common sense you can realize that ancient humans(ie far from recorded history) did not have cosmetics unless you believe that the first pair of humans to mate threw mud on their face to look pretty

10+ Year Old Account
    no you are seeing my response out of context

Dragonix80 - Males species are visible creatures and they get turned on by the beauty of females species, their body, their face, and so on.
    Me - Males can get turned on by Females without makeup, otherwise we wouldn't even exist today.
    Mormolyce - Women have been wearing cosmetics for all of recorded history. Women want to look attractive and cosmetics do that to some extent. It's not a big freaking mystery.
    Me- recorded history is few and far and not always accurate, but with common sense you can realize that ancient humans(ie far from recorded history) did not have cosmetics unless you believe that the first pair of humans to mate threw mud on their face to look pretty

Nope, I see it entirely in context. You can't argue against the fact that through all of recorded history woman have worn cosmetics so instead you try to argue a point that cannot possibly be proven or dis proven and you hide behind 'common sense' as if people who do not agree with you certainly must not have any.

Now if you REALLY want to have a deep debate about complex social issues you might want to learn a LITTLE bit more about debating a point.

am I doing a good enough wells yet?
    Troof

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fender010 View Post
    lol

You two do know that a beard is the natural way for a man right? Shaving isn't?

Shaving is the male equivalent of makeup.

I also love the folks in here comparing women to peacocks. News flash, its the MALE birds who have the pretty feathers, not the females.
    Troof

Recorded history doesn't go back to a time when all we had was mud. For example, we'd worked out how to make paper by that point. Or at least chisel into stone.

The Egyptians for example used cosmetics like crazy.

---------- Post added 2013-02-18 at 06:03 AM ----------

I also love the folks in here comparing women to peacocks. News flash, its the MALE birds who have the pretty feathers, not the females.
    Haha yeah, in fact isn't the male the showy one who has to primp up and do a big mating dance in the majority of species?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Nope, I see it entirely in context. You can't argue against the fact that through all of recorded history woman have worn cosmetics so instead you try to argue a point that cannot possibly be proven or dis proven and you hide behind 'common sense' as if people who do not agree with you certainly must not have any.

Now if you REALLY want to have a deep debate about complex social issues you might want to learn a LITTLE bit more about debating a point.

am I doing a good enough wells yet?
    like I said , "recorded" history is few and far, for every piece of recorded evidence, you have absolutely many more occasions of unrecorded history. To honestly think the first pair of humans, the female wore cosmetics to arouse the male and that this has been the case ever since is where the common sense comes into play and you seem to lack

10+ Year Old Account
    like I said , "recorded" history is few and far, for every piece of recorded evidence, you have absolutely many more occasions of unrecorded history. To honestly think the first pair of humans, the female wore cosmetics to arouse the male and that this has been the case ever since is where the common sense comes into play and you seem to lack

To honestly think that there was 1 'first pair of humans' that you could point to at all is where your commonsense seems to fail.

That is unless your arguing that Eve didn't wear makeup to help Adam get it up.

If you want to take that route then blame satan for convincing Eve to eat the fruit that made her aware of her nudity and ugliness and desire clothing and probably cosmetics.

Otherwise there was never 1 first pair of humans.

If you base your entire argument on a falsehood the entire argument is a failure.

At some point apes got close enough to being modern man that they are accepted to be human. At some very early point those humans started to do things to make themselves more attractive to the other human apes. Deal with it.

Know what I'll go even one further. Sure, its lying. But tough shit. Its a survival mechanism. Not necessarily personal survival, but genetic survival. This whole thing gets into selective reproduction. They don't care if it hurts your feelings that she wasn't as pretty in the morning as she was when you brought her home from the bar, she got the DNA she needed to bear strong offspring, mission successful.
    Last edited by Wiyld; 2013-02-18 at 06:15 AM.
    Troof

True, perhaps it hasn't always been the female putting on cosmetics to attract a male, but you are missing way too many variables. There are many things men do to show off to women. Generally, it is ti accentuate his masculinity. Earlier in this thread, one pointed out that the reddening of a female shows that the female must be a viable mate. Males, on the other hand, have always had to fight for favor: the women pick the man. But, of course, you're going to have to compete with other women to have more men pick you.

While cosmetics may not have been the first, (you can't argue that both men and women have had cosmetics throughout all recorded history), this is the case today. Men do many things to attract the females: styled hair, certain facial hair and even their demeanor are things that men have to promote themselves with. Just because it's not a tangible painting on the man doesn't mean they aren't doing as much work as a women in trying to "look good" or to attract his preferred gender mate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    ...because being black means you can't be racist only prejudice.
    ...black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.
    Did you just compare slavery to the holocaust? Don't compare them. The holocaust lasted 4 years while slavery lasted for well over 200 years at least in the US FYI

Quote Originally Posted by Rabian View Post
    Honestly I think women wear makeup because most other women do nowadays, and if you look at a woman without makeup compared to others who have it on, she can appear tired/older/sickly looking. Personally I don't wear makeup to impress guys, and my boyfriend says I don't need to wear it, but it just makes me feel better even just going to the store when I know I look and feel fresh and healthy.
    This. Women who don't wear any makeup at all will look worse by comparison to women who do. I think when guys say they like the 'natural look' they mean they don't like obvious makeup. Overdoing makeup will make a woman look worse, but well applied makeup that matches and compliments the skin really enhances a woman's appearance. I like to apply makeup to look as if I am not wearing any, or very little that is noticeable such as slight eye/lip makeup. As an example think of Victoria's Secret models. (yes I am aware they also use airbrushing, and are crazy beautiful already it is more the makeup style I am trying to highlight.)

Even without makeup they are all still very beautiful women, yet even they benefit from well applied makeup to enhance their appearance. (you can google Victoria's Secret models without makeup if you would care to see the difference) It feels like we have gotten to the point that the use of makeup is the norm, and the accepted norm of what is beautiful has adjusted to that, not a real makeup free face.

Deleted
    I am not much of a makeup-lover, but its nice to look specially good on a special night.

As goes for faking, isnt wearing thinning clothes (etc. corsets,tights,slim-jeans) or hair spray, hair color faking then?

10+ Year Old Account
    So ITT:

1. Losers who try to tell women they don't need makeup to look good. Fact is, most do. Fact is, if they want to compete with attractive women, they need makeup. Protip guys, you're not going to get laid by lying to women (in such an obvious way).

2. Evolutionary "biologists". Armchair science is so cool guys.

3. Women who lie and claim they wear it for "themselves". Yeah, okay honey, that's why.

Women wear makeup because most of them look better for it. Other women wear makeup, therefore to stay competitive, they all do it.

P.S. naturally firm boobs > implants > saggy breasts that look like eggs nailed to her chest
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.

To honestly think that there was 1 'first pair of humans' that you could point to at all is where your commonsense seems to fail.

That is unless your arguing that Eve didn't wear makeup to help Adam get it up.

If you want to take that route then blame satan for convincing Eve to eat the fruit that made her aware of her nudity and ugliness and desire clothing and probably cosmetics.

Otherwise there was never 1 first pair of humans.

If you base your entire argument on a falsehood the entire argument is a failure.

At some point apes got close enough to being modern man that they are accepted to be human. At some very early point those humans started to do things to make themselves more attractive to the other human apes. Deal with it.

Know what I'll go even one further. Sure, its lying. But tough shit. Its a survival mechanism. Not necessarily personal survival, but genetic survival. This whole thing gets into selective reproduction. They don't care if it hurts your feelings that she wasn't as pretty in the morning as she was when you brought her home from the bar, she got the DNA she needed to bear strong offspring, mission successful.
    the whole argument from my pov was that people are saying they need to wear makeup inorder to get the male aroused and to mate, i was only trying to state that its entirely untrue.
    as for the strong offspring due to wearing makeup thing, dunno if im reading that correctly

Makeup isn't always used to cover up, as you seem to so bluntly think "ugliness". It is used by many, especially those who know how to use makeup, to highlight and make natural features more prominent.. Like how an artist uses shading and certain colors to accent or to make certain parts of a painting pop. Like a designer uses certain colors and accessories to bring a room together or to make a certain fabric really show itself.. Not much different than wearing nice clothes. Nice clothing makes you look more attractive.. I don't think you walk around in a potato sack, now do you?

I understand that some do cover themselves up entirely and paint on a new face, but for you to just blatantly say that any makeup is a complete lie just shows ignorance to the proper uses of cosmetics..

I feel the need to say that I am a man who does not wear makeup.

Quote Originally Posted by sedori View Post
    This. Women who don't wear any makeup at all will look worse by comparison to women who do.
    looking "worse" would be a matter of opinion from person to person. to say one looks better with makeup over the one without is shallow, but again that is my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    but for you to just blatantly say that any makeup is a complete lie just shows ignorance to the proper uses of cosmetics.
    Make-up is to make you look different to what you normally would. But no, you're absolutely right, it's not a lie at all.
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.

Deleted
    Makeup can enhance beauty, for both male and female aesthetics. Whenever a person shovels it on however, that diminishes the beauty...

For plastic surgery, i think it's more a persons mindset - there insecure of there looks and wish to remedy that. Atleast, all surgeons try to take that line for moral righteousness. Im ambivalent, i dont like or dislike it - i just dont want it abused.

I wear makeup and I go for the more natural look (neutral tones); I wear it not to 'pretend' or cover anything but to accentuate features I already have and because I like how I look with it on. Some women wear none at all, the right amount or too much, everyone is different; if it makes them happy then good. If a man feels the need to wear lifts or wear makeup to cover a zit, etc I don't care, and more power to them if it helps their self esteem.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
    Make-up is to make you look different to what you normally would. But no, you're absolutely right, it's not a lie at all.
    Makeup is no more a lie than combing your hair in the morning is. Combed hair is lying, saying 'look my hair is naturally this untangled' but it really isn't. You are lying once someone asks you 'are you wearing makeup' or 'is that your normal face' and you lie to them.
    Last edited by Woakerio; 2013-02-18 at 06:54 AM.