Thread: Old Friends

Old Friends

Throughout my last year in grammar school, I had many friends who I hung out with every week. Now that I'm more than halfway done with high school, I only hang out with one of them and none of the others. I have some new friends now but they are not as close to me as my old friends and they aren't as many as before (even though recently I've started hanging out with more so I'll see how this goes). I want to get back in touch with my old friends, but I'm not sure how to do it. The major thing holding me back is that I now have moderate acne and I'm embarrassed to look worse than I did before. Has anyone been through anything like this before and do you have any advice as to what I should do. Anything will be greatly appreciated.

10+ Year Old Account
    My brutally honest suggestion would be to use Facebook to like each other's occasional status update or photo. You haven't been in touch for some time because you don't really care anymore what they're doing and they don't really care anymore what you are doing. You're going to separate schools, probably have different interests. Your physical appearance will have nothing to do with their potential reaction to you.

Progressing through life also means giving up on some past baggage you no longer need. Most people from that school are not needed in your life anymore and you're no longer part of the same community. It will be the same when you finish high school and then again when you go to uni and finish that as well if that's your plan. You keep a very small portion of the contacts with you and dump all of the rest.

And don't ever feel bad about it. Facebook serves to connect you with people you no longer really want to be connected with.

Problem is, they don't use Facebook, they use twitter. Even though the same advice would apply, most of their tweets are person/event specific so it would look weird.

im going to second shangalar on this. as much as you might want to, you can rarely pick up an old friendship where it left off. at best you basically form a new friendship with the same person, it's almost never the same friendship that it once was. this is natural. in my experience looking up old friends can tend towards awkwardness, neither of you is the same person any more. i personally like the distance of facebook, etc for this, it lets you become reacquainted at a comfortable pace
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahine View Post
    Throughout my last year in grammar school, I had many friends who I hung out with every week. Now that I'm more than halfway done with high school, I only hang out with one of them and none of the others. I have some new friends now but they are not as close to me as my old friends and they aren't as many as before (even though recently I've started hanging out with more so I'll see how this goes). I want to get back in touch with my old friends, but I'm not sure how to do it. The major thing holding me back is that I now have moderate acne and I'm embarrassed to look worse than I did before. Has anyone been through anything like this before and do you have any advice as to what I should do. Anything will be greatly appreciated.
    Not sure if you're actually serious...

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    Not sure if you're actually serious...
    why not? he's an admitted teenager, aka a walking mass of insecurity. we all (or most of us) went through it
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.