Deleted

Dot scaling - need explanation!

Hey,

I'm playing Rogue (assa), DK (uh) and now Shadowpriest on level 90. Everyone of this classes has strong dots and I'm not sure if I understand the whole scaling system around dots.
    I know I've posted this in the priest-forum - and I'm especially interested in this question regarding this class. But if anyone can answer my questions in general, it would be better of course

So:

1. Haste: More haste means that the time which the dot needs to do its full damage is shorter. But as soon as I reach as specific value, the dot-time is "resetted" to the original duration and I gain an additional tick instead.
    If this is right, why do a lot of people try to reach a certain point (e.g. ~8500[?] as Shadowpriest) for an additional tick for all dots and then stack another stat? Isn't additional haste as valueable as the haste-value which is reached for an additional ticks?

2. If I dot a target, how are the values for the dot-damage calculated? Is the damage based on a snapshot of my current stats or are they recalculated every time my stats change?

3. If I redot a target straight BEFORE a dot expires with my rogue, the last tick of my spell (e.g. Rupture) is added to the new dot duration. Is it the same for priests (sw/vt)?
    3a. And if my stats were snapshotted before casting: What if the last tick was based on a different amount of spellpower then the new cast? Ticks the spell with its original amout of spellpower or based on the "new" value?

Thanks in advance

DK dots snapshot your stats when you apply them but they don't scale from haste at all.

For the spriest, since you aren't close enough to gain another tick haste isn't as strong as another stat might be between those points.

Quote Originally Posted by Justsonic View Post
    Hey,

I'm playing Rogue (assa), DK (uh) and now Shadowpriest on level 90. Everyone of this classes has strong dots and I'm not sure if I understand the whole scaling system around dots.
    I know I've posted this in the priest-forum - and I'm especially interested in this question regarding this class. But if anyone can answer my questions in general, it would be better of course

So:

1. Haste: More haste means that the time which the dot needs to do its full damage is shorter. But as soon as I reach as specific value, the dot-time is "resetted" to the original duration and I gain an additional tick instead.
    If this is right, why do a lot of people try to reach a certain point (e.g. ~8500[?] as Shadowpriest) for an additional tick for all dots and then stack another stat? Isn't additional haste as valueable as the haste-value which is reached for an additional ticks?
    8085 Haste is the target for Shadow, since it grants SWP+2 (VT+2 if you have 4p T14). The reason this is so strong is because at 8064 you also gain an extra tick of DP.

In MoP, our DoTs are a lot weaker than in the past. This coupled with having many more spells and talents that don't scale with Haste or scale well with Haste (instant Mind Spikes from FDCL, Mind Blast and Mind Blast procs from DI, Mind Bender/Shadowfiend, all of our level 90 talents) means that it plays a less important role, especially because Mind Flay isn't used as often as it once was (less spare GCDs to cast it).

2. If I dot a target, how are the values for the dot-damage calculated? Is the damage based on a snapshot of my current stats or are they recalculated every time my stats change?
    Snapshot. This is the same for all classes.

3. If I redot a target straight BEFORE a dot expires with my rogue, the last tick of my spell (e.g. Rupture) is added to the new dot duration. Is it the same for priests (sw/vt)?
    Yes.

3a. And if my stats were snapshotted before casting: What if the last tick was based on a different amount of spellpower then the new cast? Ticks the spell with its original amout of spellpower or based on the "new" value?

Thanks in advance
    New value.
    @TwintopTahoe Twintop @ Illidan-US HowToPriest
    Simulate Your Character on Beotorch! https://www.beotorch.com/