Thread: New warlock.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New warlock.

So I recently decided to give warlock a shot. The very first character I ever made in the game was a warlock back at launch, but friends of mine talked me into playing rogue as they needed some in the guild. Anyway, I recently boosted a lock to 100 and leveled through legion as Affliction.

At 110 affliction seems super weak. All my sims and such tell me I should be pulling somewhere in the neighborhood of 750k. I can't push over 400k. My ilvl is 902, so I can't figure this out. Any advice? I'm keeping the 2 dots on, casting 2 UA whenever I can, and then draining. Using Reap when available. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong but I can't for the life of me get it.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...r/uther/jazina

7+ Year Old Account
    Well first your talent choices are not what you want, writhing in agony is what you want for example, as agony is one of your main damage, and well affliction is good because you can keep moving, graps is not so great anymore.
    other then that i reccomend checking out icyveins or checking out the warlock discord affliction channel for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

7+ Year Old Account
    Weak? Wow man... uhm, I also lvled up a lock... it's like my 7th alt or something... but at 910 ilvl i'm pulling around 800k dps on the bosses. With more gear it's gonna go up a lot but... yea Affliction is very strong imo :P

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Well first your talent choices are not what you want, writhing in agony is what you want for example, as agony is one of your main damage, and well affliction is good because you can keep moving, graps is not so great anymore.
    other then that i reccomend checking out icyveins or checking out the warlock discord affliction channel for help!
    Thanks for the quick response. I had watched 2-3 videos on affliction in 7.3 and most were saying that MG was better for single target and Writhe was better for multi. That was pre nerf I know, so that info may be incorrect.

Also, the warlock discord. Where can I find it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nyoken View Post
    Weak? Wow man... uhm, I also lvled up a lock... it's like my 7th alt or something... but at 910 ilvl i'm pulling around 800k dps on the bosses. With more gear it's gonna go up a lot but... yea Affliction is very strong imo :P
    I should have said I feel super weak. As my "damage potential" is almost double what I'm pulling.

15+ Year Old Account
    One thing you can count on is that warlocks are just about always viable if not sought out in one aspect or another in every expansion and patch.

It may not always be arena, it may not always be RBG’s but more than likely they are viable across the board in some combination for PVP and always in PVE. I dn’t recall one era, patch or raid where locks weren’t just phenomenal in PVE. They never got a LOL ret patch/era.

I can’t speak to locks at the moment specifically since I’m not raiding one but even if aff isn’t the top of the heap another spec will be.

Only thing that needs changing in your spec for single target is Contagion over Absolute Corruption. You only run Absolute Corruption on sustained multi target fights like Felhounds and Coven as two examples. Siphon Life becomes worth running when you get 4pc t21. It sounds like you're doing the rotation right Agony > Corruption > 2 to 3 UA > Reap > Drain. It's okay to let Corruption fall off during a UA Drain cycle but never let Agony drop. Try to Lifetap in slow periods like low Soul Shard proc periods or during movement.

7+ Year Old Account
    I should have said I feel super weak. As my "damage potential" is almost double what I'm pulling.

Ahh right :>
    Last edited by Nyoken; 2018-02-20 at 05:58 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Anyone have a link to the warlock discord?
    You asked a question and I gave you the answer. You might not agree with or fully understand the answer, but, it is correct because of reasons.”

7+ Year Old Account
    Theres a few things you can do.

First of all, take Contagion in your 2nd row talent. Absolute Corruption is only taken on aoe fights.

Don't wait for 2 shards before you do your cycle, if you only have 1 and theres no UA up, spend it and drain.

You should be reaping when you don't have it up for your UA's or its going to drop before UA's finish.

When I was gearing my lock, Siphon Life was better regardless of sets, so maybe play with that.

Outside of all that, it just comes down to RNG with shards and souls. It's more forgiving on fights with adds because you can drain them and get shards if they die while you drain them. This also gives you souls to spend so make sure you snipe dying adds and tag them for souls.

Check out this website for all the info you need.

http://lockonestopshop.com/#!/Affliction/Introduction
    - - - Updated - - -

For ST, this is wrong. Also Agony isn't even a main source of damage, its usually equal with Corruption and Siphon (Unless you have the helm) It's all about the UA

http://lockonestopshop.com

this site has pretty much everything you'll need in lock resources. from guides to tips, talent choices, gear preference, etc. Give it a shot!

Lock discord is called council of the black harvest, idk how to generate a link.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabbywabby View Post
    Theres a few things you can do.

First of all, take Contagion in your 2nd row talent. Absolute Corruption is only taken on aoe fights.

Don't wait for 2 shards before you do your cycle, if you only have 1 and theres no UA up, spend it and drain.

You should be reaping when you don't have it up for your UA's or its going to drop before UA's finish.

When I was gearing my lock, Siphon Life was better regardless of sets, so maybe play with that.

Outside of all that, it just comes down to RNG with shards and souls. It's more forgiving on fights with adds because you can drain them and get shards if they die while you drain them. This also gives you souls to spend so make sure you snipe dying adds and tag them for souls.

Check out this website for all the info you need.

http://lockonestopshop.com/#!/Affliction/Introduction
    - - - Updated - - -

For ST, this is wrong. Also Agony isn't even a main source of damage, its usually equal with Corruption and Siphon (Unless you have the helm) It's all about the UA
    really? i have been off my affliction warlock, dont listen to me then.
    demo is my bizz. but i was more of talking about for antorus, since most of the boss fights are 2+ targets
    only pure single target bosses are the first, sorta portal keeper, aggramar sorta, and varimathras.

7+ Year Old Account
    really? i have been off my affliction warlock, dont listen to me then.
    demo is my bizz. but i was more of talking about for antorus, since most of the boss fights are 2+ targets
    only pure single target bosses are the first, sorta portal keeper, aggramar sorta, and varimathras.
    Half n Half in Antorus, don't forget Imonar and Kin'garoth

I know that not all fights are single target. But I feel like ST is where my dps really suffers. I haven't run LFR yet on her and am trying to get the dps situation fixed before I attempt it.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lespaul5895 View Post
    Thank you!

Im really new to warlock as well and going through the same issues you are so im hoping this discord will be helpful. Im sitting at 962 ilvl and can only pull between 1.25k and 1.4k dps ST. I'm pretty sure I should be able to pull closer to 1.7k with my gear.
    You asked a question and I gave you the answer. You might not agree with or fully understand the answer, but, it is correct because of reasons.”

Quote Originally Posted by lespaul5895 View Post
    I'm keeping the 2 dots on, casting 2 UA whenever I can, and then draining. Using Reap when available. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong but I can't for the life of me get it.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...r/uther/jazina
    So, Afflicition is kind of unique in that you don't *just* keep DoTs up and use your nukes. Getting the most mileage is about timing things properly. And that, unfortunately, means you're at the mercy of a bit of RNG.

That lockonestopshop does a great job of explaining the interactions between the talents you choose and how you should use your UAs and Reap. If you haven't yet, I highly recommend reading through that and really internalizing it. If you're just throwing UAs up every time you have two shards, and activating Reap every time you see a soul pop up, then you're missing out on a lot of potential.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Atraxxa View Post
    Thank you!

Im really new to warlock as well and going through the same issues you are so im hoping this discord will be helpful. Im sitting at 962 ilvl and can only pull between 1.25k and 1.4k dps ST. I'm pretty sure I should be able to pull closer to 1.7k with my gear.
    A fellow Florida warlock!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabbywabby View Post
    Half n Half in Antorus, don't forget Imonar and Kin'garoth
    kingaroth has a fair amount of time with adds.
    but yeah imonar i forgot about that.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cafecito820 View Post
    So, Afflicition is kind of unique in that you don't *just* keep DoTs up and use your nukes. Getting the most mileage is about timing things properly. And that, unfortunately, means you're at the mercy of a bit of RNG.

That lockonestopshop does a great job of explaining the interactions between the talents you choose and how you should use your UAs and Reap. If you haven't yet, I highly recommend reading through that and really internalizing it. If you're just throwing UAs up every time you have two shards, and activating Reap every time you see a soul pop up, then you're missing out on a lot of potential.

- - - Updated - - -

A fellow Florida warlock!
    Aye! Cheers :P

To your point about the RNG side of things you mean like pooling shards to line up with legionfall and patheon trinket procs right? That's one thing I've been workin on trying to master in the last week, pretty big dps gains when you do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Atraxxa View Post
    Aye! Cheers :P

To your point about the RNG side of things you mean like pooling shards to line up with legionfall and patheon trinket procs right? That's one thing I've been workin on trying to master in the last week, pretty big dps gains when you do it right.
    More than that, just the base RNG of the spec. Both your Reap and UA charges are generated (mostly) randomly, and you can get bad streaks where you'll get 3-4 UA shards back to back with no Reap stacks, and you end up having to dump a few unReaped UAs into the boss just so you don't cap. Stuff like that mostly.