Thread: Animated jpg

10+ Year Old Account

Animated jpg

http://i4.ytimg.com/i/cri7brUBnwZ7CDM3We6mUw/1.jpg

How is this possible.

---------- Post added 2013-02-23 at 03:15 AM ----------

And no its not a gif named something weird like test.jpg.gif.

http://i.imgur.com/vdrPysy.png

It is just a renamed GIF.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    So just renaming a file can get you past file type restriction...?

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    So just renaming a file can get you past file type restriction...?
    When it comes to image files yes, the current generation of browsers can load them even if it doesn't have the correct filetype name. The site with the restriction that you are trying to bypass might have something stopping this though.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    Youtube normally doesn't allow animated files (GIF) to be used as avatars or anything.

But the image I linked was an animated gif renamed to be a jpg and then used as an avatar on youtube.

ytimg is youtube's image hosting site.

Being youtube (kind of a big deal) it seems like a huge oversight to allow something like this to circumvent the restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Youtube normally doesn't allow animated files (GIF) to be used as avatars or anything.

But the image I linked was an animated gif renamed to be a jpg and then used as an avatar on youtube.

ytimg is youtube's image hosting site.

Being youtube (kind of a big deal) it seems like a huge oversight to allow something like this to circumvent the restriction.
    Not really, Youtube is a massive money sink for Google atm. Google was able to purchase or acquire youtube because it has huge issues breaking even, considering the amount of people using adblocking software generating 0 income for the site. Simply put they had a structure put in for a cost, it would cost more to maintain and fix every small detail as I see it from a dev standpoint if that renamed gif trick is working and within the file size limit /care.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Not really, Youtube is a massive money sink for Google atm. Google was able to purchase or acquire youtube because it has huge issues breaking even, considering the amount of people using adblocking software generating 0 income for the site. Simply put they had a structure put in for a cost, it would cost more to maintain and fix every small detail as I see it from a dev standpoint if that renamed gif trick is working and within the file size limit /care.
    I thought youtube finally started to break even in 2012 after bleeding money for like 7 years prior to that.